Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's almost certainly not true. i just can't imagine what the devils would send back. oduya-bergfors-halischuk-leblond-1st for kovalchuk-kubina? it doesn't really add up - it's too much.

the oduya/kubina part is too much. but bergfors/halischuk/1st for kovalchuk - i think you have to do that if you can - even if it is a rental. i think bergfors is a realitvely cheap 20-25 goal scorer for the next 4 years but he's not the reason the devils could/would win (directly - obviously indirectly by being cheap helps get the heavy lifters). if oduya gets included for kubina, i think i'd want a capable center like todd white in return.

interesting to discuss.

There seemed to be a lot of buzz that the Devils were really close to getting Hossa until Pitt stepped in so it seems like ATL and NJ like to talk about soon to be UFA wingers. smilydev.gif

Lou is just driving the price tag up to screw the team that ends up getting him

the oduya/kubina part is too much. but bergfors/halischuk/1st for kovalchuk - i think you have to do that if you can - even if it is a rental. i think bergfors is a realitvely cheap 20-25 goal scorer for the next 4 years but he's not the reason the devils could/would win (directly - obviously indirectly by being cheap helps get the heavy lifters). if oduya gets included for kubina, i think i'd want a capable center like todd white in return.

interesting to discuss.

I don't think we know what Bergfors is yet. His start was encouraging but he's really dropped off in recent weeks. If I'm Atlanta I'm not sure I want him that badly.

Anyway, once you go down Lou's checklist for acquiring players these days it's easy to see why Kovalchuk's not coming here anyway:

1) He never played for the Devils.

2) He's not some fringe player that the Devils will find a way to get more out of than anyone could expect.

3) He's not a shore up the defense type who will fail at that task once acquired at the deadline.

This is what ESPN insider has to say: We've heard rumblings that the Devils might step up to the plate for Kovalchuk (and Denis Potvin mentioned the possibility on XM radio on Tuesday), in spite of the fact that Lou Lamoriello usually stays away from the big-ticket players at the trade deadline. The organization is usually pretty quiet about deals until they come to pass, but this would be a very surprising move for a team that rarely chases superstars and their pricey contract demands.

This is what ESPN insider has to say: We've heard rumblings that the Devils might step up to the plate for Kovalchuk (and Denis Potvin mentioned the possibility on XM radio on Tuesday), in spite of the fact that Lou Lamoriello usually stays away from the big-ticket players at the trade deadline. The organization is usually pretty quiet about deals until they come to pass, but this would be a very surprising move for a team that rarely chases superstars and their pricey contract demands.

Heard rumblings = Potvin.

Well it's looking more and more obvious that Potvin simply misspoke and meant to say "By the way, did you hear that Kovalchuk is rumored to be going to the New Jersey Devils?" Amazing how 3 little words can make all the difference.

Edited by Amberite

Kovalchuk coming to the Devils now would TRUMP the Gilmour deal. Gilmour was 33 year old. Kovalchuk is 26, and one of the most offensively talented players in the league right now.

Agree 100%

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.