NJ Native Plays for Italian National Team vs. U.S.A.

95Crash

Don't do it! He's gonna step out to make a phone call and strand you in the restaurant!

:rofl:

Oh the memories.... oh the eff you to e-harmony way back when!!

(no wonder I have so many women problems :P)

Dammit! You ruined it! haha

Remind me when I get back to share that tale of horror of my 8 minute date :blink:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the hatred is based on jealousy, of course, a result of supporting a U.S. team that is both disappointing and striker-starved. The Americans need what Rossi can provide, so there’s a tendency to hate the unavailable.

Dont get me wrong, but, if Rossi didn't score any goals and basically went unnoticed as a sub coming off the bench... nobody would care he was from the US and this thread wouldn't exist until he actually did something meaningful against the US.

Edited by nmigliore

Im getting to this thread way late but here's my oppinion.

An example first, i used to work with a guy who had lived in England his entire life , family had been over here for years , but his dad was half italian or something. World cup comes around and the guy is supporting England as he should , England get knocked out , about 15 minutes later he's all smiles and sunshine because Italy are still in and he comes out with the sentiment he wanted them to win more anyway.

Bull$hit pick one or the other, you cant support both, it dosn't work like that.

It annoys me that people dont support the national team of the country they were raised in , but its much worse to flit between two countrys. Make a choice and stick by it. i would have more respect for somone who lived in england but was a die hard italian fan and nothing else.

As for Rossi though, he isnt a special case, this happens all the time, Zidane, Ryan Giggs, Solamon Kalou, Deco the list goes on, most of the time players make these choices because its best for their career and gives them a chance to win and be sucsessfull in their career.

In njdevil26's case, national soccer clubs are just a sports club, and it doesn't make him any less of a proud American. Its more a separation of a sports club and nationalism to him. But it seems most look at the national teams as proud Americans representing us Americans, which isn't a problem either. It gives us a chance to show our Nationalism by supporting our national team. But when it comes to Italians like my cousin, who's also 1/4 Irish, there is no separation of sports club and Nationalism. He's rooting for Italy because he feels he is Italian and not American. He feels we, as Americans, have no culture. That's where I draw the line.

Bull$hit pick one or the other, you cant support both, it dosn't work like that.

It annoys me that people dont support the national team of the country they were raised in , but its much worse to flit between two countrys. Make a choice and stick by it. i would have more respect for somone who lived in england but was a die hard italian fan and nothing else.

What? You're telling me that in a situation where the US gets knocked out before Italy I shouldn't root for Italy even though my family is from there? I shouldn't have been happy about Italy winning the World Cup even though my family was rejoicing? How do you come to that conclusion?

What? You're telling me that in a situation where the US gets knocked out before Italy I shouldn't root for Italy even though my family is from there? I shouldn't have been happy about Italy winning the World Cup even though my family was rejoicing? How do you come to that conclusion?

Because I have always been of the opinion that you can

Fair enough

I get what your saying , from my persepctive i just cant understand it because i have always supported one team and had no other reason to support another.

Maybe it just seems like an excusee to me bacuse people often only come out with these mixed eligencies after the team they were supporting initially gets knocked out.

Maybe it just seems like an excusee to me bacuse people often only come out with these mixed eligencies after the team they were supporting initially gets knocked out.

That's true, a lot of people do that, but I always follow both countries from the start. Though I think even if you don't begin to follow your 2nd team until after your 1st team gets knocked out, that is still better than the frontrunners who always root for Brazil just because.