Devils and Newark complete arena deal.

ghdi

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. Very good news for the franchise.

Here are the bullet points:

• Newark will build a parking deck next to the municipal courthouse on Green Street and the Devils will rent a significant number of spaces, guaranteeing income for the city.

• Newark will pay the Devils $2.7 million a year in parking revenue for other lots surrounding the arena, as mandated by arbitrators last year.

• The city will impose a 1.37 percent tax on all tickets to Devils, New York Liberty and Seton Hall University games.

• For other events, like concerts and conventions, the city and the Devils will share a $1.25 facility fee per ticket that will increase after five years.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/06/devils_newark_sign_off_on_arena_deal.html

The bad news is that 1.37% tax as that will only increase ticket prices.

Edited by ghdi

I doubt they ever build that train station bridge, and I would only use it when I leave. I know it sounds petty, but I hate those panels on the front of The Rock. So the less I have to look at them, the better.

It's their building so they can do what they want. But it's the fact that every advertisement they used to show what they were building had a giant tv screen. I was so looking forward to seeing Devil highlights or watching playoff games out there one day. But instead they lied and put that useless piece of crap up there. It hurts my eyes to attempt to make out what their showing.

I doubt they ever build that train station bridge, and I would only use it when I leave. I know it sounds petty, but I hate those panels on the front of The Rock. So the less I have to look at them, the better.

It's their building so they can do what they want. But it's the fact that every advertisement they used to show what they were building had a giant tv screen. I was so looking forward to seeing Devil highlights or watching playoff games out there one day. But instead they lied and put that useless piece of crap up there. It hurts my eyes to attempt to make out what their showing.

Completely agree. I think they made it like that for sightlines from the inside. It would have been nice if they had the ability to connect together for outdoor viewing parties like other arenas would have. Building that walkway that was supposed to be there years ago would help. Right now with it just being a parking lot, it wouldn't even be possible.

I agree about the giant screen on the outside.  It often takes a couple seconds to make out what they are showing just so that the interior sightlines are not compromised.  The best part?  It is for sightlines in an area people barely walk in! 

The Devils Alley "pub" has not been open at all this past season and not sure if it was even open at all last year as well.  At one of the last games this past season I had a group of fans come up to me in line at a beer stand nearby to ask where the Devils Alley Pub is as they saw the signs for it and thought it was like a real bar or restaurant inside the arena.  I had to tell them that it hasnt opened in some time and that it really isnt a "bar" but just another glorified beer stand.  They were then disappointed further when I told them that none of the bars/lounges in the arena are open to the general public unless you have a ticket for it except the Goal bar that is open before and after the game to ticket holders not seated there.

I'll say it once and I will say it again.  While the Devils have improved their PR a bit the last few years, they are still pretty sh!tty overall.

I agree about the giant screen on the outside.  It often takes a couple seconds to make out what they are showing just so that the interior sightlines are not compromised.  The best part?  It is for sightlines in an area people barely walk in! 

The Devils Alley "pub" has not been open at all this past season and not sure if it was even open at all last year as well.  At one of the last games this past season I had a group of fans come up to me in line at a beer stand nearby to ask where the Devils Alley Pub is as they saw the signs for it and thought it was like a real bar or restaurant inside the arena.  I had to tell them that it hasnt opened in some time and that it really isnt a "bar" but just another glorified beer stand.  They were then disappointed further when I told them that none of the bars/lounges in the arena are open to the general public unless you have a ticket for it except the Goal bar that is open before and after the game to ticket holders not seated there.

I'll say it once and I will say it again.  While the Devils have improved their PR a bit the last few years, they are still pretty sh!tty overall.

When I first saw that I also thought it was a bar in the arena. The way the had the pic for it made the mirrors look like windows and you saw a bunch of chairs. But no one really went there so they stopped using it. It's pretty sad. First they started having it open for rangers games, and then not at all. They'd also have to position ushers over there to make sure no one left with liquor or wine. Another stupid rule. Then they started taking away those long bar table/stands and putting them in the fire and ice lounge behind the last row so give those people space. And now the alley is just an empty corridor where the cleaning and food staffs leave their garbage bags.

Would be nice if they agreed to construct the walking path from the train platform to the front of the arena like the original design called for!!  http://www.nj.com/newarkguide/index.ssf/2007/10/newark_goes_all_out_to_assure.html

large_PCPEDS17.png

They do indeed already have that, unless you're talking about not having to walk through Penn Station to get to the walkway.

i wish there was a good bar in the arena that was open to anyone with a ticket to the game, it would definently generate some great revenue for them... especially if they keep it normal bar prices and not stadium prices.. this for sure would take most of the attraction away from Edison ale house etc. and bring the fans into the building to spend their money instead of across the st. because no one wants to pay $8 for a bud light if they don't have to.. and even better it would be pretty awesome if the bar was open for select viewing party occasions.. i feel it would be an awesome spot for devil fans to get together and watch away games at the devils home.. i live an hour away in NY and i would pop on a train to go to a viewing party there for sure..

When I first saw that I also thought it was a bar in the arena. The way the had the pic for it made the mirrors look like windows and you saw a bunch of chairs. But no one really went there so they stopped using it. It's pretty sad. First they started having it open for rangers games, and then not at all. They'd also have to position ushers over there to make sure no one left with liquor or wine. Another stupid rule. Then they started taking away those long bar table/stands and putting them in the fire and ice lounge behind the last row so give those people space. And now the alley is just an empty corridor where the cleaning and food staffs leave their garbage bags.

That bolded part especially.  Since you work there, is there a reason they gave you about why that rule exist?  Since it is not really a separate bar and technically part of the concourse, why couldn't you leave with a beer or wine since the beer was mostly served in bottles or plastic cups and wine were in plastic cups as well?

The reason why that thing failed is that it was an idea that was good on paper but then the Devils marketing/events team being who they are, decided to half-ass it again and we got what we got.  When the Devils try they usually do a decent job.  However most of the time they half-ass it and it shows.

There really isn't a need to construct that pedestrian bridge.  The cost is way too much, and patrons of the arena generally have no problem walking the streets or through the corridors of the Gateway buildings to get to/from Penn Station.  If would be nice if they created that park directly in front of the arena, but that has all sorts of potential for trouble down the road, so maybe it's better they leave them parking lots.

As far as getting a bar in the arena, there was talk a long time ago about the arena trying to lure a large chain restuarant/bar to the arena, but that hasn't gone anywhere to date.  The bar/restaurant was to have street access so it would be open on all nights, and not just gamedays.  However, major retailers are extremely reluctant to open anything in Newark.  Regardless of what you think of those large chains, Newark might be the only major city (I use that term extremely loosely) in the Country that doesn't have any of them.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

i wish there was a good bar in the arena that was open to anyone with a ticket to the game, it would definently generate some great revenue for them... especially if they keep it normal bar prices and not stadium prices.. this for sure would take most of the attraction away from Edison ale house etc. and bring the fans into the building to spend their money instead of across the st. because no one wants to pay $8 for a bud light if they don't have to.. and even better it would be pretty awesome if the bar was open for select viewing party occasions.. i feel it would be an awesome spot for devil fans to get together and watch away games at the devils home.. i live an hour away in NY and i would pop on a train to go to a viewing party there for sure..

During the first round of last year's playoffs against Florida, they did have a viewing party at the restaurant for game 5.  The thing is that the bar there kept their normal insane stadium prices for alcohol and the food they served was either old hot dogs, stale leftover popcorn or pizza and wings that ran out really quickly.  Also just as an FYI they actually ordered the pizza from an outside pizzeria and not the La Familia garbage they use in the arena, but they did not order enough so not everyone got a slice.

There really isn't a need to construct that pedestrian bridge.  The cost is way too much, and patrons of the arena generally have no problem walking to the streets or through the corridors of the Gateway building to get to/from Penn Station.  If would be nice if they created that park directly in front of the arena, but that has all sorts of potential for trouble down the road, so maybe it's better they leave them parking lots.

As far as getting a bar in the arena, there was talk a long time ago about the arena trying to lure a large chain restuarant/bar to the arena, but that hasn't gone anywhere to date.  Major retailers are extremely reluctant to open anything in Newark.  Regardless of what you think of those large chains, Newark might be the only major city in the Country that doesn't have any of them.

Dino BBQ is technically a chain.  Joe's Crab Shack is opening up at the Marriott next to the arena later this year.

I doubt a chain would refuse to do business in a building that is as busy as the Prudential Center claims to be.  I think it was something the Devils do all the time with great ideas; just talk.

That bolded part especially.  Since you work there, is there a reason they gave you about why that rule exist?  Since it is not really a separate bar and technically part of the concourse, why couldn't you leave with a beer or wine since the beer was mostly served in bottles or plastic cups and wine were in plastic cups as well?

The reason why that thing failed is that it was an idea that was good on paper but then the Devils marketing/events team being who they are, decided to half-ass it again and we got what we got.  When the Devils try they usually do a decent job.  However most of the time they half-ass it and it shows.

You know I'm not even sure why. They say it's an insurance policy that doesn't allow liquor or wine on the concourse during sporting events. You can bring beer anywhere. They don't want us saying insurance policy and told us to say "if liquor gets on the ice it wont freeze but beer will". But that's stupid because if you're in the fire or ice lounge you can bring the drinks down to your seats and it could easily get on the ice. Last summer they started allowing wine on the concourse during non-sporting events but liquor still has to stay in the lounges (mixed drinks). And it failed because no one wants to stand in a hallway and do nothing. Everyone always asks for a place to sit down and eat.

Also, the goal bar is now open to the public during the whole game.

As far as getting a bar in the arena, there was talk a long time ago about the arena trying to lure a large chain restuarant/bar to the arena, but that hasn't gone anywhere to date

I still still miss the idea of the Wendys guy buying the team and having a wendys in the arena :( I love wendys

You know I'm not even sure why. They say it's an insurance policy that doesn't allow liquor or wine on the concourse during sporting events. You can bring beer anywhere. They don't want us saying insurance policy and told us to say "if liquor gets on the ice it wont freeze but beer will". But that's stupid because if you're in the fire or ice lounge you can bring the drinks down to your seats and it could easily get on the ice. Last summer they started allowing wine on the concourse during non-sporting events but liquor still has to stay in the lounges (mixed drinks). And it failed because no one wants to stand in a hallway and do nothing. Everyone always asks for a place to sit down and eat.

Also, the goal bar is now open to the public during the whole game.

I still still miss the idea of the Wendys guy buying the team and having a wendys in the arena :( I love wendys

Really?  When did this start?

I wish the Devils would have communicated this to the fans for both our benefit and their benefit.

During the first round of last year's playoffs against Florida, they did have a viewing party at the restaurant for game 5.  The thing is that the bar there kept their normal insane stadium prices for alcohol and the food they served was either old hot dogs, stale leftover popcorn or pizza and wings that ran out really quickly.  Also just as an FYI they actually ordered the pizza from an outside pizzeria and not the La Familia garbage they use in the arena, but they did not order enough so not everyone got a slice.

I feel like thats just fvcking cheesy and if i traveled an hour to the arena for a viewing party and got surpised with old left overs and a food shortage i must say id be extremely let down.. oh well i guess. The rock will remain only attended during game time i suppose.

I feel like thats just fvcking cheesy and if i traveled an hour to the arena for a viewing party and got surpised with old left overs and a food shortage i must say id be extremely let down.. oh well i guess. The rock will remain only attended during game time i suppose.

It was really cheesy and I could not believe they were trying to serve us old leftovers as "food."

They did have large viewing parties last year for the 2nd and the first couple of games of round 3 at the Rock as well.  It was at the Ice lounge and you could sit in the club seats and watch the game on the scoreboard which was lowered a bit to see it better. For round 2 they actually made the food about half off normal stadium price and I think the soft drinks were a dollar each.  Then in round 3 the soft drinks were free but the food was normal stadium price.

Then the NHL came in and ended it because NBC complained that these viewing parties that held about 2,000 people was affecting ratings.

You can't bring liquor out of the fire or ice lounge.

Right. But if you're in the lounge you can bring them down to that lounge sections seats (sections 7,8,9,18,19,20)

Really?  When did this start?

I wish the Devils would have communicated this to the fans for both our benefit and their benefit.

I believe 2 seasons ago. There is a sign outside the goal bar with an arrow pointing up saying open to the public. I think they wanted to keep it quiet so it doesn't become too crowded up there....Not really sure.