Devils 1st Round Selection Stefan Matteau

thefiestygoat

Just like on HF boards, how many of you guys have seen this kid play? I'm gonna guess 99% haven't seen him, so stop judging. After reading some articles on the guy he seems to be the typical devils type of player. No one can write him off til we see him in atleast 2-3 years.

• Like 1

Just like on HF boards, how many of you guys have seen this kid play? I'm gonna guess 99% haven't seen him, so stop judging. After reading some articles on the guy he seems to be the typical devils type of player. No one can write him off til we see him in atleast 2-3 years.

Amen.

Another thing to consider is maybe this guy tuns out to be good enough to the point where we don't care about Stephane anymore and the name Matteau gets a whole different meaning around here. What a kick in the pants that would be to Rangers fans.

Nah, way too much pressure. I'm starting to think it isn't realistic to plug 'any' young goalie in there and have him carry the torch after Marty, at least not immediately. You need a hold-the-fort vet who isn't going to embarass you (the next Hedberg) to bridge the gap before you even think about going with a kid imo.

I never mentioned anything about throwing a kid in there. Any goalie the Devils draft this year or next would end up having a few goalies inbetween them and Brodeur if they end up making it. I'm high on Wedgewood but there's no secret they're going to need a stop gap from Brodeur to him. I think it would be interesting to see them use a real late pick on Anthony next year. Considering how few prospects make it from being drafted that late and the Devils have thrown away late picks on the likes of Ashton Bernard, I don't see the harm in it.

The more I think about it, the more I like this pick. I expected them to have someone in mind who has 1st line potential, and was initially disappointed (among other things) with it being Matteau. Collberg, a player who I think has the potential to be a 1st line kind of guy, was still available at 29 so I was surprised they passed on him. Still kind of annoyed with that, but maybe Conte didn't want to go with another Swede. However, Matteau seems like a guy the Devils really need, and probably will need even more in the future. Matteau seems to be a very hard worker who crashes the net. This will hopefully make a huge difference if things remain the way they are. Also, he's got a good attitude which is always great to see.

I didn't think I'd end up saying this, but I kind of hope they take a risk on Martin Frk if he's still around at 60, although that's highly unlikely. It'd be nice to get someone with some more offensive upside in this draft. He's a RW who can score, which is perfect for what the organization needs. I know people have said he's lazy, but he is only 18 and not playing for the NHL yet. I'm sure he would get in shape quickly if he was given a shot at the NHL level.

Other than a few times at the beginning of his NHL career, the only times you will hear the 94 Mattaeu reference is if NuMattaeu is producing goals or killing Rags, and how the Rags passed on him the previous pick. In that case, the name will have a positive connotation and erase the memories.

It's sort of like when game 6 of the ECF went into OT, I was mad and nervous. However it was a opportunity to have the chance at an OT series winner and some retribution, and we were given Henrique.

I don't think the Devils draft for need, but this is as close as you're going to get. The Devils' forward 'prospects', if you can call them that, are largely scorer types - Tedenby and Boucher are only going to be successful NHLers if they can score 20+ goals a year. The Devils have some grinder types around, but nothing where you'd say 'Oh, yeah, that guy's got a 50+% shot of making the NHL'

So yeah, I like the pick - not every pick has to be an attempted home run. Matteau has the kind of profile where he's likely to make the NHL, but less likely to have a significant impact when he gets there.

I am really disappointed with some of the responses in this thread. I thought we were smarter hockey fans than this.

^ this.

I am fairly confident those that have posted negatively in this thread about the pick have NEVER seen Stefan play other than perhaps a video post pick. JFC it was 1994. The elder matteau didn't cheap shot anyone, he simply put the goal in the net. Yes it hurt. I was crushed that night but we move on and bigger and better things happened.

You think after 3 Stanley cup championships, 5 finals appearances, a playoff series sweep and a win in impressive fashion this year, in a time the Rangers have won precisely fu©k all we would be over this , but i guess not.

You think after 3 Stanley cup championships, 5 finals appearances, a playoff series sweep and a win in impressive fashion this year, in a time the Rangers have won precisely fu©k all we would be over this , but i guess not.

Well and you'd think after all of that success that people would trust Lou's and Conte's decisions but I guess some people are just smarter than they are

If his name was Stefan Doe, there wouldn't be any ripping of this pick. It's not like we passed on a sure-fire star talent that slipped on the board. The criticism is purely emotional. Especially since people assumed we were trading up or trading the pick because there 'had' to be a hidden reason we kept it beyond wanting to defer the penalty for two more years.

Devil fans are just insecure.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's because there is more to life than numbers. It's like the little brother (Devils) never living up to the cool guy bigger brother (Rangers) even though they got better grades in school and ended up with the better job. The bigger brother is still getting all the hot chicks and little brother is smacking himself in the head... saying what the fvck? God damn it!

If anyone here still suffers from ass fury over 94, after winning three cups and knocking that team out the way we did this year, kill yourselves. I can't judge the kid because I've never seen him play but how great would it be if he makes it? I think it would be awesome to see this kid thrive while Ranger fans watch us chant his name. I'd love to have a Matteau Devils jersey, just to further shove it up their ass.

I don't think the Devils draft for need, but this is as close as you're going to get. The Devils' forward 'prospects', if you can call them that, are largely scorer types - Tedenby and Boucher are only going to be successful NHLers if they can score 20+ goals a year. The Devils have some grinder types around, but nothing where you'd say 'Oh, yeah, that guy's got a 50+% shot of making the NHL'

So yeah, I like the pick - not every pick has to be an attempted home run. Matteau has the kind of profile where he's likely to make the NHL, but less likely to have a significant impact when he gets there.

Totally agree here, a strong fast forward with decent hands and blades with NHL pedigree, sure I'd love it if he were an inch taller.

I like the connection with zubie, our prototype fast big forechecking machine with good hands and skates, bulk him up and teach him our cycle

I dont mind the player itself but i just wish we would have forfeit our pick this year, especially with the draft in NJ and not having a first round pick? And picking a guy possibly a 3rd line potential in the first round is terrible IMO

You aren't going to get a sure fire 50 goal scorer at 29th. Lou and conte interviewed matteau at least twice. Clearly they see something in him, especially if they decided to use the pick. I don't know why people refuse to trust these guys.

I'm not so mad in the pick itself, as I am in the sheer (non)necessity of it. We have the 29th pick - the only way we can get any lower is by winning the cup itself. I know we all think we're gonna win the cup every year, but in all honesty will likely have a higher draft position in the next two years. When Lou & Co decided to keep the pick this year, I thought it was because they had a very special or needed player in mind, or they were planning on trading up. In essence, I assumed there was a REAL reason to keep that pick. As much as I don't MIND this pick on a purely player level, I think it sucks on a strategic level. We could have easily given up this pick and been none the worse for it, especially taking into account what we may lose in the next 2 years.

Also, is it possible Lou has something up his sleeve to get out of penalty? Sure, but I think it's extremely unlikely.

Edited by Amberite