Realistic trade targets in the offseason

mort4345

I don't pretend to know who the Devils will be targeting this offseason, but Lou has clearly expressed the need for two good scoring forwards. So who does the board believe the Devils will go after after the season's conclusion?

There's a whole thread on Kessel...I do think that Lou kicks the tires on that one, but isn't dealing for him unless he's not giving up any major assets (re: his 2015 first-rounder or any other future first-rounders).  I'm guessing Lou would feel that taking Kessel's salary (or most of it) off the Leafs' hands is probably plenty enough. 

I get the feeling it's not going to be an obvious target...but I really have no idea who he's going to target.       

I bet Joe Thornton will be available but...age.

Frolik must be signed. Makes the most sense for us

We'll be drafting a guy who can hopefully step in and play right away, though his offense probably will take some time to develop. Maybe Marner or Barzal. Hopefully Carolina takes a D and Strome falls to us.

I would look at perhaps trading for Patrik Berglund from St. Louis. Not sure what happened to his offense though, it may never return. Perhaps he just got pushed down on the depth chart there.

Edited by '7'

Berglund is exactly the kind of milquetoast overpaid player I expect them to end up with.  Patrick Sharp will also be available.  I wonder if NJ could figure out a Sharp/Bickell for Zubrus (or Ruutu)/2nd type deal.

The Devils should not have whoever they draft be on the team next year unless it's McDavid.  No sense in blowing a year of an ELC on a wasted season.

Edited by Triumph

I suppose Thornton would be a possibility if the Devils win the lottery, and they feel that adding McDavid on his own makes the Devils a playoff team.  But as it stands now, I'll assume that Lou is not so deluded that he thinks the team as currently made up, has the stuff to compete by adding another player that will be on the wrong side of 35 and that will still have a high asking price. 

The tea leaves from before and after the trade deadline lead me to believe that Lou did kick the tires on Kessel.  Those tea leaves being Lou feverishly working the phones on deadline day with not much to show for things (trading Zidlicky to perhaps the only team that he was willing to waive his NMC for isn't exactly like negotiating the Paris Peace Accords), Lou saying afterwards that the Devils have the luxury of having a lot of cap space going forward and that he wants to add younger top six forwards that can score.  (Of course, it could have been Tyler Bozak).  The most I would offer for Kessel would be a deal that centers on a 2016 lottery protected first rounder.  A team like Florida though has a lot more to offer, so I think Kessel is theirs for the taking.

I'd love couture, but I honestly have no idea what San Jose's plans are... Id be willing to consider some combination of the first+ Merrill or something like that.

Edmonton seems like the perpetual perfect partner for us- they'd probably want one of the young d and I'd be open to it, it would just depend on value.

I don't think Toronto accepts a lottery protected pick for Kessel.  Since NJ probably misses the playoffs even with Kessel, that kicks the return down the road to 2017, and means that whatever Toronto gets back from Kessel probably doesn't play on their team until 2021/2022.  That's a tall order for your best scorer.

Toronto is much better served by dealing with a team that has several prospects.

Edited by Triumph

I don't think Toronto accepts a lottery protected pick for Kessel.  Since NJ probably misses the playoffs even with Kessel, that kicks the return down the road to 2017, and means that whatever Toronto gets back from Kessel probably doesn't play on their team until 2021/2022.  That's a tall order for your best scorer.

Toronto is much better served by dealing with a team that has several prospects.

Which is why Florida is a better option.  (Also, the main piece would be that first rounder, it wouldn't be the only thing).

But still, Toronto's hands are tied in a lot of respects.  Kessel has a limited NTC, he has a contract that a lot teams can't take on, and he's absolutely hated by the press which isn't nothing.  Toronto is also in tank mode now, and probably will be next year. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a total low ball offer.  After the Tyler Seguin deal though, sometimes teams -- even otherwise well-run teams -- agree to them.

I think Thornton, if he goes to any team, would go to the Rangers. I like him and still think he's got a lot left in the tank as a set up man, but I think he's a long shot. I imagine Patrick Marleau would be a more realistic trade if we deal with SJ.

The Rangers don't have the cap space for Thornton.  They are also tapped out so far as prospects and picks.

Sign Frolik and St. Louis, trade for Sharp (if cheap). Would be an interesting lineup.  Sharp and St. Louis would be nice players to have as stop gaps until our forward prospects (hopefully) pan out.

Henrique Gomez St. Louis

Cammalleri Zajac Sharp

Boucher Elias Frolik

Matteau Josefson Tootoo

But that means no Bernier Ruutu Gionta or Zubrus and you know that won't happen and yes Frolik is a LW and center but we need to try some of these guys on RW because we have none.  Matteau is a LW and has been playing on the right side with Zajac and Camm and he has been fine.

Edited by Zubie#8

Sign Frolik and St. Louis, trade for Sharp (if cheap). Would be an interesting lineup.

Henrique Gomez St. Louis

Cammalleri Zajac Sharp

Boucher Elias Frolik

Matteau Josefson Tootoo

But that means no Bernier Ruutu Gionta or Zubrus and you know that won't happen.

Still think that's a pretty miserable team. And that really is almost a best case scenario. 

Still think that's a pretty miserable team. And that really is almost a best case scenario. 

Yeah but we do need a few stop gaps until our young prospects develop.  I also think St. Louis is a must signing just like Jagr was.  You trade him at the deadline for some assets.  I know this thread is about trade targets so I apologize for derailing it.

that team would not be miserable, it would compete for a playoff spot

still the likelihood of us getting St. Louis AND Sharp AND Frolik is 0. We'll probably end up with one of the three and a defenseman

Edited by '7'

Berglund is exactly the kind of milquetoast overpaid player I expect them to end up with.  Patrick Sharp will also be available.  I wonder if NJ could figure out a Sharp/Bickell for Zubrus (or Ruutu)/2nd type deal.

The Devils should not have whoever they draft be on the team next year unless it's McDavid.  No sense in blowing a year of an ELC on a wasted season.

Depends on the player we get Tri. Marner might not be NHL ready. Strome can likely step right in and be a positive contributor. You also can't throw in the towel on 2015-2016 this early. Lou certainly won't.

Berglund is still young enough to take a shot at. He could regain 18-20 and 40-50 pt form. Sharp is too old but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

that team would not be miserable, it would compete for a playoff spot

still the likelihood of us getting St. Louis AND Sharp AND Frolik is 0. We'll probably end up with one of the three and a defenseman

That team still needs centres to get the puck to Sharp and Cammalleri. I don't think St Louis is realistic, but even if he somehow wanted to go from Cup contender (maybe champion), to the lowly Devils just to stay closer to home, I'm not expecting the Devils to hit on all their 40+ years old free agent signings.

Gomez was an upgrade, but I'm not high on him at all for next season. His redemption has been a tad overstated here. 

Regardless, I think it would be foolish for the Devils to trade for someone like Sharp.

Sign Frolik and St. Louis, trade for Sharp (if cheap). Would be an interesting lineup. Sharp and St. Louis would be nice players to have as stop gaps until our forward prospects (hopefully) pan out.

Henrique Gomez St. Louis

Cammalleri Zajac Sharp

Boucher Elias Frolik

Matteau Josefson Tootoo

But that means no Bernier Ruutu Gionta or Zubrus and you know that won't happen and yes Frolik is a LW and center but we need to try some of these guys on RW because we have none. Matteau is a LW and has been playing on the right side with Zajac and Camm and he has been fine.

I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. I agree with 7, that competes for the playoffs. Pending on a non disaster for a coach. If not, you can dump off St. Louis as you've mentioned which stockpiles more picks.

Depends on the player we get Tri. Marner might not be NHL ready. Strome can likely step right in and be a positive contributor. You also can't throw in the towel on 2015-2016 this early. Lou certainly won't.

Berglund is still young enough to take a shot at. He could regain 18-20 and 40-50 pt form. Sharp is too old but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

It doesn't depend on the player to me.  Especially if it's Strome - if you get him, keep him in Erie, McDavid won't be there, let him be the man there and see how it goes.  You are throwing away millions of future dollars on almost nothing - 18 year old players generally are not very good.

Berglund would be coming on to a team with almost nothing that generates offense - he'd be the same garbage the Devils have been throwing out there, only younger.

Looking at it from a negative aspect: we have money to throw at guys who may not necessarily want to be here. No reason we shouldn't be the highest bidder on St. Louis or other older players that could be traded at the deadline. Lets say we suck next year but St. Louis is coveted at the deadline and he could fetch a 2nd rounder. Basically paying $4M of a $6M salary lets say for a 2nd round pick. Moves like this will advance the rebuild.

This is worst case scenario assuming the team is a dud again next year.

I'd really like to say Matt Moulson. It probably wouldn't take a lot to pry him from Buffalo. He had a bad year, but the guy can still play. But with that contract and him being on the other side of 30, that reeks to me of a potential bust. We don't want to be giving another bottom 6 guy more than 5 mil, or whatever Moulson's contract looks like to put up 13 goals next year. But maybe Buffalo wants him around as a locker room guy with their youth, the price wouldn't be the most reasonable. I don't know.

Edit: Never mind. He went back to Buffalo because he liked playing there last year, and he has a no trade clause. I should've done one google search before I posted this.

Edited by thecoffeecake

Enough of washed up players past their prime.  No to FROLIK, No to St. Louis, No to THORNTON.

If you make a trade for Kessel, Toronto better be retaining at least 25% of his salary or it's a no deal.