Good zinger by Whitey

Z-Man

I truly believe that in 10 years we will have 92% - 95% attendance for the season.. I think our fan base is just still a little too young..

I don't think so. The Devils have a very weak fan base compared to other teams and i don't really see that changing anytime soon.

Re: Whitey...whatever, no feelings about it either way.

Re: what Colin says, about attendance picking up...kinda sad that the story hasn't changed much. We keep waiting for it to happen and it doesn't. The crop of youth should've been here by now...a fan born in 1988 is now 23 years old, and would've grown up watching the Devils make the playoffs in all but two years (he'd be too young to remember 88-89). I know they exist, but it seems like there aren't as many of them as there should be.

Maybe Colin's right, maybe another 10 years from now it changes...once Lou's out, it may become an organization that better embraces marketing and is warmer to its fanbase (Vanderbeek gets this, but Lou never did and never will, so right now we have a hybrid organization in that regard). My 3-year-old will be brought up a fan for sure, and I plan to taking her to more and more games each season...so there's one new fan.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Re: Whitey...whatever, no feelings about it either way.

Re: what Colin says, about attendance picking up...kinda sad that the story hasn't changed much. We keep waiting for it to happen and it doesn't. The crop of youth should've been here by now...a fan born in 1988 is now 23 years old, and would've grown up watching the Devils make the playoffs in all but two years (he'd be too young to remember 88-89). I know they exist, but it seems like there aren't as many of them as there should be.

Maybe Colin's right, maybe another 10 years from now it changes...once Lou's out, it may become an organization that better embraces marketing and is warmer to its fanbase (Vanderbeek gets this, but Lou never did and never will, so right now we have a hybrid organization in that regard). My 3-year-old will be brought up a fan for sure, and I plan to taking her to more and more games each season...so there's one new fan.

I definitely agree with that last paragraph. I think this organization is going through a huge change right now, and Lou leaving (possibly after this season) is going to be a huge part of it. If he leaves soon like I'm starting to expect, I think we see a lot of changes next season in marketing, fan accessibility, etc. As for people born in 1988, there are definitely a lot of college-age kids at the games nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance rise over the next few years. A nice combination of the economy improving and marketing being allowed to try new things could help.

A couple of years ago I was in San Francisco visiting a friend and drove down to San Jose for a mid season mid week Stars at Sharks game. The stadium was nice, but on the smaller side. The place was packed though. There were very few empty seats, and almost everyone there had a Sharks jersey on. They cheered and screamed throughout the game, and none of it was derogatory. They had some ridiculous arm motions that were supposed to represent a shark's jaws closing, but the entire crowd got into it. I was impressed with them and a bit saddened by how different it is at our games.

Caveats: There are no other teams in San Jose, and it took 1.5 hours to drive from San Francisco to the HP Pavillion. San Jose is a decent size city and they can call the Sharks their own. Driving to San Fran or Oakland for a football game with football traffic would be a decently long trip.

I don't think so. The Devils have a very weak fan base compared to other teams and i don't really see that changing anytime soon.

Yep, so weak that for the last 10+ years whenever we're on the road there are numerous Devils jerseys in the audience with a couple of exceptions. So weak that we almost took over the Garden in Game 4 in 2006(I was there) and the Coliseum in March. We have a weak base when it comes to overspending for a bland product, not in general.

As for Colin it depends on how good/marketable the team is 10 years from now. They were near 90% capacity in 2009 so 92-95% isn't impossible.

Edited by Marv4Life

Yep, so weak that for the last 10+ years whenever we're on the road there are numerous Devils jerseys in the audience with a couple of exceptions. So weak that we almost took over the Garden in Game 4 in 2006(I was there) and the Coliseum in March. We have a weak base when it comes to overspending for a bland product, not in general.

As for Colin it depends on how good/marketable the team is 10 years from now. They were near 90% capacity in 2009 so 92-95% isn't impossible.

90% that year was good for 19th out of 30th overall in the league. Also that was their best year since the lockout. We usually hover between 21-26.

What good is it if our fans are going to other arenas and spending their dollars there when we have our arena in the bottom 1/3 of attendance?

im 25, grew up with the devils, and i just can't afford season tix or to go to every game...

im lucky enough that my father (through our print business) gets season tix and i get to go to a ton of games... without that, id go to random games (probably Atlantic Division Rivals) with friends or my girlfriend.

Numerous Devils jerseys? C'mon. I see some here and there, but it's not like the Devils have some universal appeal. Think you're exaggerating greatly on this one.

The Ranger fans (and sadly, at times other teams' fans) come in our building and take over repeatedly, but now I'm to believe that our fans actually went into THEIR house and almost took over? I'm not saying you and others didn't make your presence felt, but again, seems like an exaggeration.

Numerous Devils jerseys? C'mon. I see some here and there, but it's not like the Devils have some universal appeal. Think you're exaggerating greatly on this one.

The Ranger fans (and sadly, at times other teams' fans) come in our building and take over repeatedly, but now I'm to believe that our fans actually went into THEIR house and almost took over? I'm not saying you and others didn't make your presence felt, but again, seems like an exaggeration.

I was at Game 4, it was like 25% Devils fans, which was surprising in itself. Plus our fans had more to cheer about so maybe it sounded like more at times. All the other Ranger-Devil games there are like 5-10% at best.

I used to go there once or twice a year but there's just no appeal to me to pay $60 plus for an obstructed view seat in the 400s when I can watch the Devils here in a nicer arena for far less.

The Devils do have fans in just about every building though. And that fits the demographics trend, which suggests that NJ's population is declining - there are fans out there spread around the country, and they will catch the team on the road. NJ has had great road attendance, and I don't think you can just chalk that up to the fact that New Jersey has traditionally been 'a team to beat'.

You can hear that there were lots of Devils fans at the Garden for that game.

Might be the loudest I've ever heard them in the Rangers' building (I watched this at a friends' house). That was tailor-made for us, in that the Devils were up 3-0 in the series, and I remember some Ranger fans saying screw it, I'm not going, I'm giving away/selling my tix, etc. That probably helped more Devil fans than usual get into the building. The Ranger faithful had watched their team collapse down the stretch, then suck in the playoffs, so that fanbase was a beaten bunch by then.

You are right, former Jerseyans looking to get more bang for their buck are leaving for cheaper pastures, so that has helped with Devil fans getting into other buildings, and I see more in the way of fan road trips being promoted here and there. Their presence still doesn't seem as big as Marv would make it sound, but I would agree that it's higher than it was, say, 10 years ago.

The Devils do have fans in just about every building though. And that fits the demographics trend, which suggests that NJ's population is declining - there are fans out there spread around the country, and they will catch the team on the road. NJ has had great road attendance, and I don't think you can just chalk that up to the fact that New Jersey has traditionally been 'a team to beat'.

Was at this game thanks to my Rangers fan friend who is now my Devils ticket rep. How bout that.

Edited by Bringbackbrylin

Okay, I have totally changed my stance on White. I thought he wasn't sticking it to the Devils and fans, but TG's latest report has him sporting a goatee. Definitely think that is quite the message from White. That bastard.

from same blog post.

“I know my kids will be cheering for me,” he said. “That’s pretty much it….I’m not really thinking about it. I’m just trying to focus on the game right now and, hopefully, it’s a good crowd.”

I thought of posting something similar using the bolded part but just couldn't get the sarcasm going I must be getting old.

I missed the game Friday night. To those who went to the game, how was the crowd reaction to Whitey -- mild applause, some booing, no reaction, something other? To those who watched the telecast, was he interviewed?

Edited by 95Crash