2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

I am more confident in the Jets getting the help they need than I am about the Jets beating Miami.

You're not the only one :lol:

That said, only Tennessee plays at 1, the other two-three games we'd have to pay attention to are at 4 so we won't really know if we have a shot till later (unless Tennessee wins and renders 4:15 meaningless for us), even with a win.

You're not the only one :lol:

That said, only Tennessee plays at 1, the other two-three games we'd have to pay attention to are at 4 so we won't really know if we have a shot till later (unless Tennessee wins and renders 4:15 meaningless for us), even with a win.

As pissed as I am about the Jets, I would love to be watching the 4:15 slate with a rooting interest.

Who would have thought the only guy to make any sense in the postgame would be Bart Scott? Just dreadful...not only an underachieving team, but a lot of unlikeable guys on it, starting with one of the most self-absorbed players I've ever seen in Santonio. I just wish Rex hadn't waited until the last two minutes of the last game to finally hold him at least somewhat accountable by benching him for being a jack*** (and even then, he tried to deny he did it in the postgame).

And yes they're going to change the offensive staff no matter how much Rex wants to play the 'Who, us?' card and as hideous as Sanchez looks he's going to get another chance. Especially since, let's be honest - the team's got a million issues right now. OL depth, defensive pass rush, safety help, a linebacker that can play a TE, another RB to 'at least' complement Greene, and an actual backup QB. Other than that, everything's great :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wow are the Jet imploding! A 4th string QB says the team is loaded with selfish individuals, Cochery admits he didn't want to be on the Jets with Holmes on the team, Rex Cries, Scott looking like he is going to get cut, Schott being scapegoated for Tannebaum's mistakes (taking Plax over Edwards, not O-line support) and now Brady is "enjoying" watching the Jets offseason.

Thank god we took Harbaugh over Rex who looks like he really wasn't ready to be a Prime Time coach.

Wow are the Jet imploding! A 4th string QB says the team is loaded with selfish individuals, Cochery admits he didn't want to be on the Jets with Holmes on the team, Rex Cries, Scott looking like he is going to get cut, Schott being scapegoated for Tannebaum's mistakes (taking Plax over Edwards, not O-line support) and now Brady is "enjoying" watching the Jets offseason.

Thank god we took Harbaugh over Rex who looks like he really wasn't ready to be a Prime Time coach.

The first thing the Jets need to do is cut that guy, and immediately, whether he was right or wrong in his assessments. The Jets don't need a friggin' 4th-stringer rookie yapping on the radio...what exactly was that guy trying to accomplish with that?

Rex is the kind of guy people are going to pile on when things go badly...he brings a lot of that on himself. But it's not fair to now make him out to be some kind of incompetent...he's not...you don't get your team to win four road playoff games in your first two years if you're a screw-up. But he does need to adjust and learn from this season. How he comes back next season will determine if he's got staying power with the Jets going forward.

The first thing the Jets need to do is cut that guy, and immediately, whether he was right or wrong in his assessments. The Jets don't need a friggin' 4th-stringer rookie yapping on the radio...what exactly was that guy trying to accomplish with that?

Rex is the kind of guy people are going to pile on when things go badly...he brings a lot of that on himself. But it's not fair to now make him out to be some kind of incompetent...he's not...you don't get your team to win four road playoff games in your first two years if you're a screw-up. But he does need to adjust and learn from this season. How he comes back next season will determine if he's got staying power with the Jets going forward.

I usually find your Jets posts on the money (at least from where I sit!). I agree with you.

I don't think the Jets will cut Santonio Holmes. I think Rex will stick his neck out for Holmes and try to "fix" the problems with Holmes still in a Jet uniform. I'd rather see him cut.

Edited by Jerrydevil

I usually find your Jets posts on the money (at least from where I sit!). I agree with you.

I don't think the Jets will cut Santonio Holmes. I think Rex will stick his neck out for Holmes and try to "fix" the problems with Holmes still in a Jet uniform. I'd rather see him cut.

Thanks...obviously I'm not a Jets fan, but I try to be fair and objective about them.

I don't they can do much with Holmes. I can understand in some ways why he was frustrated, running route after route and not getting the ball, but that doesn't excuse any of his actions...clearly the guy is a punk and a jerk. Getting that C off his jersey is a good start.

But what that 4th-stringer QB did is inexcusable...you're who exactly? Some injured 7th-rounder who clearly isn't going to be a factor on this team anytime soon? The Jets' chemistry and locker room issues have been well-documented lately...what did he think he was adding that hasn't already been said? If I'm Ryan and Tannenbaum I'm furious with that kid.

social-proof1.jpg

"I woke up, went outside and looked at the sky. I was amazed to see that it wasn't falling after all." --Peter Benchley.

That's how I feel sometimes regarding the Jets when I read some of the newspapers in the tri-state area. Players calling other players 'selfish'.. fans calling for Rex & Sanchez's heads. And the entire franchise as a whole, sinking in the dead sea. So we didn't make the playoffs this year. We finished the season without a winning record. Shrug-smiley5.gif So we didn't go to 3 straight AFC Championship games. So what? What are the odds of any team doing that in the first place?

Chin up Jet fans. This team is not as broken as the Mike Francesa's of the world make it appear. I know it's easy to feel like sh!t right now, but if a couple things had broken our way this year, we'd all be singing a different tune in the Wildcard game against the Texans. As we go into the offseason, and watch yet another team hoist Lombardi other than us.. I leave you with 5 reasons to go into the 2012 season with hope..

#1; The Schedule.

Seattle.. Jacksonville.. St. Louis.. Indianapolis.. Buffalo x2.. Miami x2.. Tennessee.. Arizona.. & San Diego. Throughout the 11 aforementioned games, only Tennessee was above .500 this season (9-7) if you're going off of this years records.

Are all these teams/games "gimmies"? --No, far from it. But all are winnable, especially when you look at which one's are home -vs- away. When I look at the Jets 2012 schedule, only the Patriots, Steelers, and 49ers scare me. I didn't feel that way this season. When I looked at the schedule this season, there were alot of dangerous teams that the Jets took for granted. We opened the year with Dallas, Baltimore, New England, and Oakland as 4 of our first 5 games. (3 straight on the road) It really didn't surprise me that we only had 2 wins, going into Week 6. Throughout our first 7 games this season, Jacksonville & Miami were the only 2 teams we played with a losing record.

Usually when you're an 8-8 type team, the NFL tends to go easy on the placement of tougher opponents going into the following year. Imagine the Jets open next season against Miami, St. Louis, Seattle, and Jacksonville.

#2; Aggressive Approach.

You've got a big glitz Team/Owner/GM/QB/Coach all on the same organization, and they just missed the playoffs with a team that MANY fans felt was “too cheap” and “second rate”. --Trust me.. in 2012.. this won't happen again. This is the offseason that Woody Johnson will break his checking account, to get this team back to making (on field) headlines again.. and it starts with; *Trades First.. *Spending Second.

Between Todd Heap, Derrick Mason, Nnamdi Asomugha, Santonio Holmes, Tyson Clabo, and every other player that they either gambled to try and acquire, or wrongfully signed (coupled with the 16 UFA's lost) the Jets had a horrible free agency this off-season. Meanwhile, one of the Jets biggest problems over the past few years has been draft picks. They've never had that player that was considered a bona`fide steal. People may want to bring up players like; Mangold, Ferguson, & Revis.. but that was from a draft 6 years ago?! What about since then? Players the likes of Vernon Gholston.. Jacob Bender.. Vlad Ducasse.. John Connor.. Matt Slauson.. Erik Ainge.. Nate Garner.. Marcus Henry.. Scotty McKnight.. Greg McElroy.. Bilal Powell.. :mellow: I know people are going to contest; “what about about Keller, Wilkerson, and Wilson?” ..but these are first round draft picks!! Your 1st rounder damn well better be NFL capable. I'm talking about middle 2nd to 4th round picks. THAT'S where the depth on your team comes from. The Jets haven't really had that “impact” draft.. since 2005-06. (Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Sione Pouha, Kerry Rhodes, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, etc)

It is for this reason, that I think the Jets will target teams that are rebuilding so-to-speak, and begin parting with draft picks in order to stock-pile the team.

#3; Top 5 Defense.

Despite the negative propaganda pile-on, that the media wants to telegram regarding the Jets, this fact ramains.. Rex Ryan is still a damn good defensive mind. The Jets defense statistically was ranked 5th overall in the NFL this season. 3rd in 2010.. and 1st in 2009.

Will Rex ever filter/censor himself enough to be considered one of the best Head Coaches in the NFL? I can't say, only time will tell. I don't know for sure. But what I do know however, is that as long as he's here, this team is going to have a Top 5 defense in the league, every single season. As a fan that's all you can ask for. Because as teams have shown you time and time again.. if you can sustain an above average defense in the NFL, you have competitive staying power year after year. You have a fighting chance each and every week, regardless of who you're playing.

This defense/team may not have been the best of the 3 years that Ryan has been here.. but they weren't nearly as bad as people are making them out to be either. They still had a chance to make the playoffs, right up to and including the last game of the season.

The 3 seasons that Bill Parcells was the Head Coach with the Jets (and Bill Belichick the Assistant Head Coach) are still held in high regard, to this day by Jets fans. And yet that tandem won 29 regular season games (vs. Rex's 28) and advanced to only 1 AFC Championship game... not 2. Walt Michaels had 39 wins, in nearly 90 games. Joe Walton had a losing record during his career coaching the Jets.. as did Bruce Coslet.. Pete Carroll.. Herman Edwards.. and Eric Mangini. Fact is.. Rex Ryan is probably the best Head Coach the Jets have had since Weeb Ewbank. :ph34r: If an 8-8 record is the absolute worst result that this administration can put out.. I'll sign up for that right now. (I'm a Jets fan, I've lived through far worse) ;)

#4; New O.C.

I'm not even really going to evolve much further on this one. If you're a Jets fan, I shouldn't have to. You should already know. Brian Schottenheimer is gone. There's not even a small chance the Jets retain him. He's done. For 6 years Schottenheimer has been the offensive coordinator for the Jets. And for 6 years now, the Jets have statistically averaged the 21st ranked offense in the NFL. Whatever the Jets seem to do.. whoever the Jets seem to bring in (even Brett Favre himself) since 2006, the offense has been pure garbage.

The organization is doing a little dance right now, to try to get rid of Brian with his dignity in tact. The man the Jets will presumably replace Schottenheimer with, is Tom Moore. (currently the Jets Offensive Consultant) Moore is a legend in this league, with 3 Superbowl rings to prove it.. but really, at this point.. I'd take the broom in the corner over Schottenheimer going forward.

#5; Sanchez did NOT have a bad year.

Before everyone gets on the Peyton Manning band-bus, and starts throwing the #6 jersey's on craiglist, I want to remind people of a few things. #1. Mark Sanchez has more road victories in the playoffs, than any other quarterback in league history. #2. He's missed only 1 game due to injury out of 54. #3. He's 25 fvcking years old. I know the sports fan has a short-term memory, but some of the things I've been hearing/reading are absolutely absurd. Sanchez was far from perfect this season, but the majority of the blood isn't on his hands.

I don't know how any 3rd year quarterback can build any type of congruity, with the shuffle the Jets dealt him by seemingly 'trading' Smith, Edwards, & Cotchery -for- Plaxico, Kerley, & Mason/Turner. The chemistry between a QB & WR is paramount in football. You can't just take whoever you want out, and sub someone else in, based on (your perception of) individual talent. A general manager's M.O. pryor to making any/all decisions should be; “measure twice, and cut once”. Really think things through before pulling the trigger on anything. Tannenbaum didn't do that. He fell in love with his ego, took huge gamble(s), and it blew up in his face at the fans expense. I know fans want to focus on Hunter, Baxter, Slauson, losing big Damien.. and everything else that went wrong with the o'line this year as the primary reason why Sanchez struggled.. (and don't get me wrong, that was a big part if it) ..but I don't know any team in the NFL that would fleece their QB, like the Jets did this season. When you look at Sanchez's career statistics, they speak for themselves..

SanchezCareer.jpg

..albeit the turnover category, Sanchez continues to improve in every area. Joe Flacco threw more interceptions, had more fumbles, and threw for less touchdowns this year.. than last year. Matt Ryan also had more interceptions and fumbles this year, as opposed to last. Eli Manning saw his fumbles and interceptions go up in year 2.. and then up again in year 3. The turnover category among young quarterbacks, is a variable statistic throughout their first 4 years. Is the trajectory for Mark Sanchez moving as quickly as the organization had hoped? -probably not. Notwithstanding.. he progressed this year in many areas. Remember, Sanchez only had a career of 16 starts in College. (where other quarterbacks picked in the 1st round may have around 30) His learning curve isn't going to be measured the same way that another quarterbacks' is.

EDIT: Wow, not to mention this; http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-jets/2012/01/08/new-york-jets-qb-mark-sanchez-played-injured-over-the-final-six-games-of-the-2011-season/

..was only 100% for 10 games this season! --nice. :rolleyes:

---------------

In the end, take heart fellow Jet fans. The house of cards isn't falling as many would have you believe. Was this season a missed opportunity? -yes. Was there some dissension among players in the locker room? -absolutely. But how much of that is due to a team that only won 3 games, of their last 9? I'm not going to judge the emotions of players, in the midst of a season that saw 3 separate losing streaks.

When you go to the Final Four two years in-a-row.. the pressure on you to "finish the job" going into the following season is monumental. Let this team go into the offseason on their knees. Humble, and focused for next season.

..the Jets will be back next year. Hungry, and more grounded than ever. jets.gif

Edited by Beezer34

#4; New O.C.

I'm not even really going to evolve much further on this one. If you're a Jets fan, I shouldn't have to. You should already know. Brian Schottenheimer is gone. There's not even a small chance the Jets retain him. He's done. For 6 years Schottenheimer has been the offensive coordinator for the Jets. And for 6 years now, the Jets have statistically averaged the 21st ranked offense in the NFL. Whatever the Jets seem to do.. whoever the Jets seem to bring in (even Brett Favre himself) since 2006, the offense has been pure garbage.

The organization is doing a little dance right now, to try to get rid of Brian with his dignity in tact. The man the Jets will presumably replace Schottenheimer with, is Tom Moore. (currently the Jets Offensive Consultant) Moore is a legend in this league, with 3 Superbowl rings to prove it.. but really, at this point.. I'd take the broom in the corner over Schottenheimer going forward.

new oc yes. tom more, no.

that being said, is sporano that much of an improvement of schottenhiemer?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7450014/report-not-all-new-york-jets-love-mark-sanchez-eye-peyton-manning

Getting ugly in Jetland.

Good for Mangold for telling those chickensh!ts to put their names to their quotes if they're going to talk sh!t about Sanchez. Mangold is definitely a class act, and a guy who "gets it". I wonder if any of the "anonymous" sources dared to look themselves in the mirror before throwing Sanchez under the bus.

Time for Ryan and Tannenbaum to find out who said what and start doing some serious cleansing of that lockerroom. Too many Holmes-type, finger-pointers in there.

At any rate, Sanchez deserves at least another year, to work with new coaches. His numbers aren't great, especially in this era, but he's still young and has shown some ability. But he has to start showing REAL progress next season, not the "slightly better statiscally" stuff of this past season.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7450014/report-not-all-new-york-jets-love-mark-sanchez-eye-peyton-manning

Good for Mangold for telling those chickensh!ts to put their names to their quotes if they're going to talk sh!t about Sanchez. Mangold is definitely a class act, and a guy who "gets it". I wonder if any of the "anonymous" sources dared to look themselves in the mirror before throwing Sanchez under the bus.

I don't think that silencing the anonymous bashers is the solution. I listened to 1050 AM this afternoon, and they had Damien Woody on, and he did not raise objections to any of the critical things allegedly said about Sanchez. To me, that's the biggest problem. The Jets appear to be overprotective of Sanchez and lenient with Sanchez, to the detriment of the team. The players have fired their shots ... that has to change. Should they handle it in-house? Yes. But 20-something young men sometimes shoot from the hip! So do some middle-aged football coaches, if you get my meaning!

JetsLogo-1.png

that being said, is sporano that much of an improvement of schottenhiemer?

YES! --100%

Say what you will about Tony Sparano as a Head Coach.. (and I never considered him much of one) ..but he's damn good offensive mind.

In the sense of Schottenheimer, this is an upgrade in every sense of the word. Since 2008, the Dolphins statistically have had a better offense than the Jets, year after year after year.. (and they did it with Chad Henne, Matt Moore, JP Losman, Tyler Thigpen, & Chad Pennington) ..all the while, making the dreaded "Wildcat Formation" a household name for 3 years.

Sparano was the Offensive Line Coach for the Browns in 2000. Cleveland finished the year 4th in the Conference in giving up the least amount of sacks. In 2002 Sparano became the Tight Ends Coach for Jacksonville. The result was a resurrection in Kyle Brady's career. (the 2002 season is statistically the 2nd best in Brady's 14 year career) To this day Tom Coughlin has nothing but praise when discussing Sparano's offensive structuring on an offensive line.

Sparano then went on to Dallas in 2003, rising from Offensive Coordinator to Assistant Head Coach in the span of 4 seasons. He was the sole offensive play-caller for Dallas in 2006. The Cowboys subsequently finished the season ranked 4th in scoring, and 5th in the NFL in total offense.

Regarding Tom Moore.. he just purchased a home in the New York area. He'll remain with the organization in a limited role.

------------

EDIT: The biggest asset regarding this signing is the head-to-head advantage this should present. I fully expect the 2 games against Miami next season to be DEFINITE wins.

I remember reading an article on ESPN that Sparano works more closely to his teams coaches than nearly anybody in the league. Mike Nolan, Dave Corrao, Joe Danna.. they're all close friends with Tony. He should be able to leak a plethora of intel to the Jets, in how every defensive play is designed, formed, and executed, for Miami.

EXTREMELY pleased with this move. :cheers:

October17th2011.jpg?t=1326333194

Edited by Beezer34

As a Die hard dolphins fan, Tony will reunite the problems in the jets locker room. In my opinion thats prob all he'll do. He came in as an " O-line Guru", too bad this was the dolphins major problem in the offense this year. He is also way too conservative and plays the game "not to lose". Which reflect on his poor decision making. Any Dolfan would agree with everything i have to say.

Atleast he'll be in jersey were his fist pumps will be greatly appreciated LOL

------------

EDIT: The biggest asset regarding this signing is the head-to-head advantage this should present. I fully expect the 2 games against Miami next season to be DEFINITE wins.

I remember reading an article on ESPN that Sparano works more closely to his teams coaches than nearly anybody in the league. Mike Nolan, Dave Corrao, Joe Danna.. they're all close friends with Tony. He should be able to leak a plethora of intel to the Jets, in how every defensive play is designed, formed, and executed, for Miami.

October17th2011.jpg?t=1326333194

i agree with this point. i dont think jets would have hired him if sporano wascoaching a team like the rams for four years

Edited by SS#4-Life

i agree with this point. i dont think jets would have hired him if sporano wascoaching a team like the rams for four years

Oh for sure! His affiliation with Miami played a major role in the move to bring him in. That fvcking team spoiled a possible EPIC playoff run for the Jets in 2008. As much as I hate the Dolphins, I have to take my hat off to them. They always seem to give us fits everytime we play eachother.

Over the last 10 regular season head-to-head games (all the way back since 2007 for Christ sake) the Jets are 5-5 against Miami!! Now, it might be okay to go .500 in a 5 year span against a somewhat competitive Divisional rival. But against the Dolphins.. who've had 1 winning season since 2006? :unsure: Meanwhile the Jets have had only 1 losing season since 2006.. 3 post-season births.. with 7 playoff games to boot. :noclue: It just doesn't jive.

There are teams in other Divisions that look at their schedule at the beginning of the year, circle the 2-game match'up against lesser teams, and say; "well there's 2 wins right there." The way the Ravens treat Cincinnati.. the way the Jets treat the Bills.. and so on, and so forth. Here's the thing.. I DON'T DO THAT WITH THE FISH! I treat them as I do the Patriots when I look at the schedule in the beginning of every year. I say; "well, we'll split with Miami" ..AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!! Comparing what New England's done in the regular season -vs- what the Dolphins have done since 2006, is beyond lopsided. And yet the fact remains.. we can't ever fvcking sweep that team.

Sparano has 4 years of inside knowledge regarding the fish. I'm sure 90% of the interview with T. & Rex was him spilling his guts.

As a Die hard dolphins fan, Tony will reunite the problems in the jets locker room. In my opinion thats prob all he'll do. He came in as an " O-line Guru", too bad this was the dolphins major problem in the offense this year. He is also way too conservative and plays the game "not to lose". Which reflect on his poor decision making. Any Dolfan would agree with everything i have to say.

Atleast he'll be in jersey were his fist pumps will be greatly appreciated LOL

Yep. Sparano is a great guy, and the players will like him I think. But as I mentioned before, he's more conservative than Rush Limbaugh and he loves fist pumping those field goals. Get ready to kick field goals on 3rd down Jet fans, that's Sparano-ball lmfao. I'd highly recommend drafting the Jets kicker in your. fantasy leagues next year. I mean, my natural, unprovoked reaction when I heard the Jets hired Sparano to be their OC: belly laugh. Hearty belly laugh.

Edited by MadDog2020