Record Ratings in Yesterday's Game.

Beezer34

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/27/record-ratings-for-outdoor-games-in-l-a-and-new-york/

"The Devils-Rangers game broke an overnight record in ratings on NBC, for a regular-season NHL game. (excluding regionals and Winter Classics). The game also drew a 5.1 rating in New York, the highest-ever rating in the New York market for a regular-season NHL game on NBC, and tied for the best New York game ever! (with Game 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final). NBC was the No. 1 network in the New York market within the 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. ET time period."

..record ratings, 10 combined goals scored, the atmosphere, the snow, 50,000+ ......

Anyone feeling a Devils\Islanders Outdoor game invite next year @ Citi? :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezer34

..record ratings, 10 combined goals scored, the atmosphere, the snow, 50,000+ ......

Anyone feeling a Devils\Islanders Outdoor game invite next year @ Citi? :thumbsup:

I'd rather see a Devs/Rags rematch next year at MetLife stadium.  I bet the football stadium would make better sight lines than a baseball field, plus easier travel for the players from locker rooms to the ice.

Or if it has to be be Devs/Isles than still rather see it as MetLife over another baseball stadium.

I'd rather see a Devs/Rags rematch next year at MetLife stadium.  I bet the football stadium would make better sight lines than a baseball field, plus easier travel for the players from locker rooms to the ice.

Or if it has to be be Devs/Isles than still rather see it as MetLife over another baseball stadium.

this

A Devils game at the Meadowlands again.  That would be pretty cool.

A Devils game at the Meadowlands again.  That would be pretty cool.

..it would be awesome, but wouldn't the attendance be a bit of an issue? We barely got to 50k yesterday, with help of the Rangers fanbase! 30k more @ MetLife? I would love to see it, but I don't know. The Devils fanbase would have to REALLY come out in droves to fill that baby up.

Todd Cordell said something about the possibility in Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ) for a future venue for the Devils, which would be cool.

Bottomline.. I don't think we've seen the last of the Devils in an outdoor game. The event went too well yesterday not to get at least one more invite.

..it would be awesome, but wouldn't the attendance be a bit of an issue? We barely got to 50k yesterday, with help of the Rangers fanbase! 30k more @ MetLife? I would love to see it, but I don't know. The Devils fanbase would have to REALLY come out in droves to fill that baby up.

Todd Cordell said something about the possibility in Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ) for a future venue for the Devils, which would be cool.

Bottomline.. I don't think we've seen the last of the Devils in an outdoor game. The event went too well yesterday not to get at least one more invite.

Agree that I think the Devils could be back.

As for MetLife being viable...guess it all depends.  If prices scared some people off this time around, you could probably sell a lot of seats for less.  This is a pipe dream, but it would be nice if friggin' whatever-they're-calling-Xanadu these days was up and running by the time a game was played there.  Give peeps something to do after the game within walking distance. 

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/27/record-ratings-for-outdoor-games-in-l-a-and-new-york/

"The Devils-Rangers game broke an overnight record in ratings on NBC, for a regular-season NHL game. (excluding regionals and Winter Classics). The game also drew a 5.1 rating in New York, the highest-ever rating in the New York market for a regular-season NHL game on NBC, and tied for the best New York game ever! (with Game 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final). NBC was the No. 1 network in the New York market within the 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. ET time period."

In red... hmmm what New York area team was in that one?? Haha, it's great to see some news like this coming out of yesterday.

Unfortunately it probably created a new legion of Rag$ fans.

The Devs really needed a nice win.

Alas, it wasn't to be.

That's not entirely true. A lot of times people are drawn to the darkhorse. As a Devils fan in Orange County, NY, I can tell you that's part of what drew me in. And dealing with out-of-the-woodwork Rag fans after 1994 was what cemented me as a Devil fan for life. I have a feeling the Devils may have gotten their share of new fans out of this one.

It should be noted the Knicks were playing on ABC at 3:30 PM, so the TV rating becomes even more impressive.

The Knicks are having a dogsh!t season and were playing against a Kobe-less Laker team

All they have to do is make the ticket prices realistic, and they could easily fill MetLife

They will not get people to pay the absurd prices they did this time around, next time.  That is for sure.  The complete collapse of the secondary market will attest to that.

Make tickets $40-$200 at Metlife, and you can nearly sell it out....

Rutgers Stadium would be perfect. About 50 thousand. That being said, theres no chance were getting another game within the next few years.

They wouldn't do it there

Not close enough to NYC and does not have the "sex appeal" of a major league stadium

That's not entirely true. A lot of times people are drawn to the darkhorse. As a Devils fan in Orange County, NY, I can tell you that's part of what drew me in. And dealing with out-of-the-woodwork Rag fans after 1994 was what cemented me as a Devil fan for life. I have a feeling the Devils may have gotten their share of new fans out of this one.

A playoff run/series like 1994 as compared to a glorified regular season game are two vastly different things. If anything, i'd say first timers that watched the game might be drawn to the Devils by the bright colored unique uniforms and future HOF players. We talk about how boring the Devils are and that's true to an extent, but the Rangers aren't exactly a team that captures the imagination, either.

A playoff run/series like 1994 as compared to a glorified regular season game are two vastly different things. If anything, i'd say first timers that watched the game might be drawn to the Devils by the bright colored unique uniforms and future HOF players. We talk about how boring the Devils are and that's true to an extent, but the Rangers aren't exactly a team that captures the imagination, either.

Yeah, true. I still think the Devils will get some new fans out of this one, but like you said, maybe not for the plucky underdog reason. Good point on the uniforms. The Rangers looked kind of plain in that game, no matter how many times NBC showed us Lundqvist's pinstripe pads.

The ratings are what they are. It was better than a regular NHL game and much fewer eyeballs than a normal Winter Classic. I don't think it means much for the Devils.

What it does show is that right now an outdoor game will do good ratings for the NHL. But the NHL plans to have fewer next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see two additional games to the Winter Classic, but right now I am sure they are looking at different markets.

There might be an option for a Philly hosted game against the Devils down the road...not for a long time though.

It should be noted the Knicks were playing on ABC at 3:30 PM, so the TV rating becomes even more impressive.

The Knicks are having a dogsh!t season and were playing against a Kobe-less Laker team

True, but the NBA generally draws much better TV ratings than the NHL.

That's not entirely true. A lot of times people are drawn to the darkhorse. As a Devils fan in Orange County, NY, I can tell you that's part of what drew me in.

Even though I'm more of a casual hockey fan, I can definitely relate to this.  I've liked the Devils since they were a plucky up-and-coming underdog in the mid-1980s (along with a couple other teams at that time), and the Devils' emergence in 1994 solidified it for me (along with my strong dislike of the smugness of Ed Snider and the Flyers organization; I'm originally from eastern Pennsylvania and am a Philly sports fan in all the other sports I follow).

I definitely agree on a football field being superior to a baseball field for an outdoor hockey game, but one major problem with using MetLife Stadium is that you couldn't schedule any hockey game there until at least a week after the NFL conference championship games (because of the possibility the Giants and/or Jets could be hosting playoff games in January).

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if there is a stadium game between the Devils and any team besides the Rangers or Flyers.  The Devils, sad to say, aren't a particularly high profile team, and they are much bigger rivals with the Rangers and Flyers than they are the Islanders.  The Islanders are also not a high profile team themselves (though that might change when they move to the Barclay's Center and if they improve).

True, but the NBA generally draws much better TV ratings than the NHL.

While that is true, many people have given up on the Knicks

Take Kobe out of the game, and there is 0 interest for casual NBA fans/sports fans to watch

The "Outdoor Hockey Game" was a much hotter option to tune in to yesterday

I definitely agree on a football field being superior to a baseball field for an outdoor hockey game, but one major problem with using MetLife Stadium is that you couldn't schedule any hockey game there until at least a week after the NFL conference championship games (because of the possibility the Giants and/or Jets could be hosting playoff games in January).

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if there is a stadium game between the Devils and any team besides the Rangers or Flyers.  The Devils, sad to say, aren't a particularly high profile team, and they are much bigger rivals with the Rangers and Flyers than they are the Islanders.  The Islanders are also not a high profile team themselves (though that might change when they move to the Barclay's Center and if they improve).

There is no reason why the Devils and Rangers/another opponent couldn't play at Metlife in mid February

No scheduling conflicts, and the weather wouldn't make it difficult...they made ice in LA, so mid February in NJ shouldn't be an issue

Ugh no citi field. It's enough of a clusterfvck to get to Yankee Stadium. Queens? No thanks. Run the trains to the Meadowlands

As for Red Bull Arena, seating's only 25K so idk if that's good enough for the NHL, easy as it is to get to from Newark Penn

As for the idea of Rutgers Stadium, it's a dump and a half. Worst food, bathroom situation. No actual seats besides bleachers. Nowhere at all to hide from the cold. Noo thanks

Edited by DH26

if i had to guess on next year's games besides, washington/baltimore getting the caps vs flyers, i'd think minnesota will get a game at target field and maybe the sharks get a game at candlestick before they tear it down.

I think they will want to continue a 'Heritage" game. Expect Ottawa or Winnipeg to get one.

Off topic a bit, but speaking of the meadowlands, it would be really cool if the devils played a game at the izod center before they were to take it down, whenever that may be. Im sure lou wouldnt even consider that, and there's probably contractual stuff involved, but it would be awesome. The sixers played a game at the spectrum before it was demolished, I know sixers fans have fond memories of that.

Off topic a bit, but speaking of the meadowlands, it would be really cool if the devils played a game at the izod center before they were to take it down, whenever that may be. Im sure lou wouldnt even consider that, and there's probably contractual stuff involved, but it would be awesome. The sixers played a game at the spectrum before it was demolished, I know sixers fans have fond memories of that.

This would be awesome, but I do not see it happening whatsoever

Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines Arena does not have the mystique that a lot of the old venues did in other NHL cities