Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#321 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

You could always trade cap space, that's what the Devils basically did with Malakhov. This allows you to trade part of a player's cap hit.

Ok, more specifically the interesting thing I see is you can trade portions of cap in this proposal, not just finding someone to dump a player onto

#322 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

What's European Soccer's labor situation? Is that what you have in mind when you consider a world without unions? Because they also benefit from extreme demand for their product that the NHL doesn't have. I think the CBA/Union is essential to giving the bottom half of the league stability to know it can keep doing business. Without any path to profitability since richer teams would simply steal their talent I don't think they could operate and would have to close down meaning fewer jobs for players.

European soccer does not have unions or collective bargaining. I do agree that they benefit from being the only game in town. Still, there's enough talent to go around - it would just mean some teams would have little to no chance at the Stanley Cup. I am not sure how player transfers work. I'm not in love with soccer's situation at all and I think the geography of the nations where soccer is most passionately followed helps a lot (you can be a fan of any team and be within easy travel of seeing them live), but on the plus side, they don't have lockouts there.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#323 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

European soccer does not have unions or collective bargaining. I do agree that they benefit from being the only game in town. Still, there's enough talent to go around - it would just mean some teams would have little to no chance at the Stanley Cup. I am not sure how player transfers work. I'm not in love with soccer's situation at all and I think the geography of the nations where soccer is most passionately followed helps a lot (you can be a fan of any team and be within easy travel of seeing them live), but on the plus side, they don't have lockouts there.

On a purely humorous note, having just spent a whole year in Europe...one thing they are not short of is unions and strikes.

#324 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

You can't really compare soccer to NHL.

Edited by Cachorro Louco, 18 October 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#325 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

Oh there is definitly a players and managers union in football, but it is basically useless because players these days and their agents hold all the bargining power anyway.

Until UEFA fully brings in financial fair play (which i believe they intend to do, but it will be cirumvented pretty easily) the unions will continue to remain useless, and players and their agents will be able to demand whatever they want, because there will always be somone willing to pay.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#326 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

European soccer does not have unions or collective bargaining.

There really damn should be. There's something wrong when the same 2-3 teams have been winning the league cups in each country for decades now. There's little-to-no mobility, not a level playing field at all, not really fun to watch for about 90% of other teams' fanbases, and you can see that attendance is dwindling in a lot of countries..

To add to that, just imagine the NHL if Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, and New York Rangers were the alternating winners of the Stanley Cup year after year for 4 decades.

Edited by DJ Eco, 18 October 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#327 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Why do I have a bad, sinking feeling that Donald Fehr and company will ask for the sun, moon, stars and everything else and will put us back to square one instead of building off the NHL offer from Tuesday?

#328 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Why do I have a bad, sinking feeling that Donald Fehr and company will ask for the sun, moon, stars and everything else and will put us back to square one instead of building off the NHL offer from Tuesday?

Because Fehr is a giant A-hole. The players hired him know what he is all about and he has been gearing for this fight for the past 2 years. Based upon my layman's reading and interpretation of the owner's recent proposal, it seems pretty fair and addresses most fo the concerns the players had stated previously. If Fehr convinces the players that he can get a dramatically better deal than this, and they refuse to negotiate off of what the owner's have presented, I think we won't see any NHL hockey this season.
Posted Image

#329 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

I had a lot of hope that the NHL had made a huge step to get this resolved, and that it would lead to real talks with a conclusion shortly to follow. But now I'm getting that same feeling you are about Fehr.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#330 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Because Fehr is a giant A-hole. The players hired him know what he is all about and he has been gearing for this fight for the past 2 years. Based upon my layman's reading and interpretation of the owner's recent proposal, it seems pretty fair and addresses most fo the concerns the players had stated previously. If Fehr convinces the players that he can get a dramatically better deal than this, and they refuse to negotiate off of what the owner's have presented, I think we won't see any NHL hockey this season.

I think the majority of players would like to work off of this deal and come to a conclusion quickly that is at least somewhat reasonsable for both sides.

I think it will be Fehr's ego that will put the kibosh on that and will walk into today's meeting with a list of demands he knows the owners cannot meet and we will be back to square one.

#331 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I had a lot of hope that the NHL had made a huge step to get this resolved, and that it would lead to real talks with a conclusion shortly to follow. But now I'm getting that same feeling you are about Fehr.

After what happened during the last lockout, the players wanted a guy who was basically a pitbull in negotiations. Now they have them and while some of the players might be pleased with what he is doing for them, I have a feeling based on the quotes I see from players that a good portion of the rank and file players are more willing to compromise than Fehr is probably willing to do himself.

#332 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Big day today boys...hopefully NHLPA wont screw this up.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#333 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think the majority of players would like to work off of this deal and come to a conclusion quickly that is at least somewhat reasonsable for both sides.

I think it will be Fehr's ego that will put the kibosh on that and will walk into today's meeting with a list of demands he knows the owners cannot meet and we will be back to square one.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Amazingly, if that happens, all of the good will the players had on their side in this battle will likely dissipate as most foresaw a 50/50 spilt of HRR being the basis for a deal.

They will. When it comes to NHL hockey (whether it be the players or owners), when does the right and logical thing ever happen?
Posted Image

#334 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,758 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I am 1,000 % sure that seeing as how Don Fehr is running things, the players will fvck this up, submit an insulting counter-proposal that serves to just piss the owners off, and we'll be back to square one. Trust me, I haven't forgotton the baseball strike. This piece of sh!t was the reason there was no World Series for the first time since electricity was invented, so you have to understand just what type of egomaniacal, gluttonous fvckstick we're dealing with here.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#335 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I am 1,000 % sure that seeing as how Don Fehr is running things, the players will fvck this up, submit an insulting counter-proposal that serves to just piss the owners off, and we'll be back to square one. Trust me, I haven't forgotton the baseball strike. This piece of sh!t was the reason there was no World Series for the first time since electricity was invented, so you have to understand just what type of egomaniacal, gluttonous fvckstick we're dealing with here.

This x1000

#336 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

If it's found out that the NHLPA asked for ridiculous alterations to the deal, I'm going to absolutely be in the owner's court from here on out.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#337 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

i remember saying the same thing during the kovalchuk contract hearing. And look how that turned out :/

#338 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,758 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

@TSNBobMcKenzie So NHLPA is going into today's meeting with 18 players including Sid and NHL is going in with four owners including Jeremy Jacobs.

Edited by MadDog2020, 18 October 2012 - 11:32 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#339 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

If it's found out that the NHLPA asked for ridiculous alterations to the deal, I'm going to absolutely be in the owner's court from here on out.

The NHL offer is not fair, not by a long shot. That said, it is close to the best deal they will get, because the owners won't give that much to preserve any semblance of a season.

Edited by Triumph, 18 October 2012 - 11:36 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#340 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Just reading through Twitter now and it looks like this will not be a good day.

Hope for the best but def expecting the worst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users