Sabres Leafs Brawl - Clarkson Leaves the Bench

Zubie#8

I don't know why everyone is giving Clarkson such a hard time...  get over it, he's not in NJ anymore. Let the man be.

I had no problem with Clarkson leaving, and don't hold the slightest grudge against him...he got an offer he couldn't refuse, and for his hometown team.  I don't blame him for taking it, nor Lou for saying, "No thanks, not going there."  I think both sides made the right decision.

If this had been anyone else in the same boat, I think the reaction largely would have been the same here.  People make mistakes, but sometimes do so in a "Well, I can see why" kind of way.  This one is really hard to justify, especially for a guy who clearly isn't some expendable clown in his franchise's eyes, with the contract he was given...if it's Cam Janssen doing it, fine, but the Leafs think they've got themselves a poor man's Wendel Clark.  There was simply nothing happening on the ice that should have led Clarkson to kill 1/8th of his season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I had no problem with Clarkson leaving, and don't hold the slightest grudge against him...he got an offer he couldn't refuse, and for his hometown team.  I don't blame him for taking it, nor Lou for saying, "No thanks, not going there."  I think both sides made the right decision.

If this had been anyone else in the same boat, I think the reaction largely would have been the same here.  People make mistakes, but sometimes do so in a "Well, I can see why" kind of way.  This one is really hard to justify, especially for a guy who clearly isn't some expendable clown in his franchise's eyes, with the contract he was given...if it's Cam Janssen doing it, fine, but the Leafs think they've got themselves a poor man's Wendel Clark.  There was simply nothing happening on the ice that should have led Clarkson to kill 1/8th of his season. 

Totally on board with what you just said. Was his decison made that day a good one? Absolutely not, but he is an emotional type of player and it got the best of him. What I don't like to see is the personal vendettas some people have as if he totally ruined this franchise for taking more money elsewhere and the want to see him burn. I loved the guy when he was here and dammit I kinda liked the purehockey commercials.

Totally on board with what you just said. Was his decison made that day a good one? Absolutely not, but he is an emotional type of player and it got the best of him. What I don't like to see is the personal vendettas some people have as if he totally ruined this franchise for taking more money elsewhere and the want to see him burn. I loved the guy when he was here and dammit I kinda liked the purehockey commercials.

Keep in mind that some fans of ALL franchises take it as a slight when their free agents (especially the middle-to-higher tier ones) bolt for another team, regardless of the players' reasons for leaving.  I don't anymore.  For one, in the case of the Devils, let's face it...not too many young hockey players outside of NJ dream of one day wearing the red and black and playing in Newark...there's far sexier NHL destinations than NJ.  That's just the reality.  It's not like every player that is drafted by NJ is just thrilled beyond belief to be a possible future Devil.  And until they become UFAs (which takes some time), they don't have a whole lot of say in where they will play.  So I don't get bent out of shape anymore when guys leave...if they're UFAs, it's their right to choose their employer.  The Martys of the world who actually like being NJ lifers are pretty hard to come by. 

NJ is far from being hockey purgatory, but I give Lou a lot of credit for finding ways to keep his team competitive for as long as he has without having that built-in "sex appeal" factor to tread on...the Rangers have it no matter what they do, yet Sather has never been able to use that to help his cause. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976