Semin to carolina

Prucenterrules

I'm pissed. I know, I know: there is no info on what Lou offered (if he made an offer at all), maybe it's just that Semin didn't want to play for us etc., etc. But you judge your GM based on his results. He built a good team for last year, we all enjoyed a great season, but this summer has been absolutely awful. The only way it could get worse is if Marty left.

I'm not really big on Doan (because of his age - I'm kind of surprised that at 35 he's driving around all those cities like he's Kovy from two years ago) and it doesn't look like we have a shot at him anyway.

Really cannot be too upset with this. Semin is a huge variable.

With a 1-year deal there is no risk. If he sucks, you let him go next year. And the Devils actually had money - they presented Parise with a competitive offer.

I'm pissed. I know, I know: there is no info on what Lou offered (if he made an offer at all), maybe it's just that Semin didn't want to play for us etc., etc. But you judge your GM based on his results. He built a good team for last year, we all enjoyed a great season, but this summer has been absolutely awful. The only way it could get worse is if Marty left.

I'm not really big on Doan (because of his age - I'm kind of surprised that at 35 he's driving around all those cities like he's Kovy from two years ago) and it doesn't look like we have a shot at him anyway.

With a 1-year deal there is no risk. If he sucks, you let him go next year. And the Devils actually had money - they presented Parise with a competitive offer.

Spending money to keep Parise is different than spending money for a 1 year rental, though. If the reports that the Devils need to get approval to spend money are true, I could see why Zach would be approved and Semin wouldn't (assuming there was even interest from either party.)

Edited by Devil Dan 56

i thought we were supposed to be cup contenders???

well not to say we cant make the playoffs but you gotta replace a captain for fvcks sake!!!!

zach didnt score like we all wanted him to in the playoffs but we dont get to the SCF without him.

there better be a lockout next year, unfortunately.

Edited by oconnellrules

i thought we were supposed to be cup contenders???

well not to say we cant make the playoffs but you gotta replace a captain for fvcks sake!!!!

zach didnt score like we all wanted him to in the playoffs but we dont get to the SCF without him.

there better be a lockout next year, unfortunately.

Im not sure how any hockey fan can honestly say this.. Even Columbus and Islanders fans don't want a lockout.. Jeez, we all want to win but it's completely ridiculous to have the mentality "If we aren't Cup contenders then I don't want there to be a season at all"

Wonder what Semin will cost at that point...

The Devils did there due diligence on Semin and he didn't fit...I'm sure of this. Simple as that.

There are guys who will come available this year that will be better fits, whose identities we don't even know yet. Who knows who's going to suck this year. Maybe it'll be Ottawa and Spezza...maybe the Blackhawks have a bad year and it's Hossa. Maybe it's Bobby Ryan. But the player Lou wants to replace Parise isn't available yet.

Not saying the lou doesn't do his homework on FA, but to assume the reason we didn't sign him is because we decided he didn't fit in with us is absoltuley ludacris, sorry. Maybe that is the reason, maybe he wanted to come here badly but in the end we thought it wasn't worth it to sign a guy who is capable of a 40 goal season to a 7mil/1year contract, but I doubt it. And to assume with blind ignorance that any one that we don't sign, wasn't signed because we don't think their a fit is just delusional.

Don't want that to sound mean, that comment just rang of coolaid drinking.

Also all this talk about bobby ryan, the guy wants to be a flyer for christ sake.

Edited by Sneax

It doesn't seem like any team was willing to offer Semin a multi-year deal for what he believes is fair market value. His agent sought assurances that Semin will be given an opportunity to play in all situations (including the PK), which Carolina apparently conceded. He is making it sound like that is the biggest factor in his decision making process as he knows this season will be used to set up Semin's big payday (which they believe he deserves and is capable of getting) come next off-season.

I'm pissed. I know, I know: there is no info on what Lou offered (if he made an offer at all), maybe it's just that Semin didn't want to play for us etc., etc. But you judge your GM based on his results. He built a good team for last year, we all enjoyed a great season, but this summer has been absolutely awful.

I agree with most of your sentiment, but to be fair, on paper we didn't really have an awesome team to start last season. The Ponikarovsky and Zidlicky trades that proved so vital to our success in the last few months were made later in the season.

Really hope he can figure something out though, and soon..

Not every player has the makings to be a Devil. For all we know, Lou's hands are tied. Have to keep in mind this is the first year of Kovy making $11M. Also, for all the talk of Parise, he scored just 31 goals last year and has been on a steady decline.

The TEAM that will be starting opening night this season will be much stronger than the TEAM that started opening night last season.

Henrique scored 16 goals last year in 74 games. He hit the rookie wall and scored just two goals from January 11th to the end of the season. Hopefully he progresses as a player, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to chip in ten more.

Zajac played in only 15 games last year, if he scores a conservative 15 goals, that is half of Parise being replaced with him alone. Similar for JJ who was banged up last year. Yayo was extremely unlucky last year getting robbed in limited action. I think he could score 10 on a healthy campaign. Not too mention, a full season of Zidlicky, the defensemen the Devils have been missing since losing Rafi. Progression of Larsson and others will help along with icing an adequate fourth line.

We will be fine.

The Devils weren't fine last year and right now, they have zero depth. That was their problem through the first half of last year also. I mean, granted, Lou's hands are probably tied to some degree, I doubt he can go off spending a bunch of money only to have the NHL take over the team in 2 weeks.

Why do people keep bringing up the start of last year? The Devils roster at the start of last year was barely playoff worthy, that's a low bar to clear. We're not as good as the team that actually did damage in the playoffs.

Besides, Zajac was hurt. At least you knew he was 'eventually' coming back.

The Devils weren't fine last year and right now, they have zero depth. That was their problem through the first half of last year also. I mean, granted, Lou's hands are probably tied to some degree, I doubt he can go off spending a bunch of money only to have the NHL take over the team in 2 weeks.

Sure they were. Lots of the struggle early last year has to do with the goaltending. Regardless of what happens in front of Marty and Moose, if they aren't up to snuff obviously the team is going to struggle.

To be fair, they have zero offensive depth. On the defensive side, they have more depth now than they have ever had. I do have nightmare's of Kovalchuk being out extended periods of time, however. No Lou Sleeve to save the day either.

Why do people keep bringing up the start of last year? The Devils roster at the start of last year was barely playoff worthy, that's a low bar to clear. We're not as good as the team that actually did damage in the playoffs.

Besides, Zajac was hurt. At least you knew he was 'eventually' coming back.

That's the point. Things change as the season progresses. What we start with is very unlikely to be what we finish with. And our starting point going forward is better than our starting point of last year.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Sure they were. Lots of the struggle early last year has to do with the goaltending. Regardless of what happens in front of Marty and Moose, if they aren't up to snuff obviously the team is going to struggle.

Meh. First half of last year:

ES Fenwick: 49.6%

ES Fenwick tied: 51.8%

They were atrocious with a lead in the first half of the year, posting a Fenwick of around 40% or so when ahead.

To be fair, they have zero offensive depth. On the defensive side, they have more depth now than they have ever had. I do have nightmare's of Kovalchuk being out extended periods of time, however. No Lou Sleeve to save the day either.

Yeah, I am at least not worried about the defense. There's still Bryce Salvador though. And a 36 year old Marek Zidlicky.

That's the point. Things change as the season progresses. What we start with is very unlikely to be what we finish with. And our starting point going forward is better than our starting point of last year.

It's not very much further ahead - about the only things it's got going for it is DeBoer's had a year to get everyone up to snuff on the system. Somehow Lou has continued on with a very old team, even when part of the issue in 2010-11 was how old the team was.

It's not very much further ahead - about the only things it's got going for it is DeBoer's had a year to get everyone up to snuff on the system. Somehow Lou has continued on with a very old team, even when part of the issue in 2010-11 was how old the team was.

When you think about it though, what changes could Lou really have made other than going after two younger goalies? Elias and Sykora are up there, same with the defensemen you mentioned. Henrique and JJ are two young pieces though. Same with Larsson and Fayne. Hopefully Tedenby can stick and not play himself off the team this year.

Obviously, he could have skipped out on signing Sal, that move will baffle me for a long time.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

When you think about it though, what changes could Lou really have made other than going after two younger goalies? Elias and Sykora are up there, same with the defensemen you mentioned. Henrique and JJ are two young pieces though. Same with Larsson and Fayne. Hopefully Tedenby can stick and not play himself off the team this year.

Obviously, he could have skipped out on signing Sal, that move will baffle me for a long time.

I mean, there you go. Don't sign Salvador, don't sign Hedberg, and avoid signing Sykora. Instead of signing Sykora, how about taking a chance on Bobby Butler, who just got bought out? He'd be some nice forward depth for a team that has none.

I mean, there you go. Don't sign Salvador, don't sign Hedberg, and avoid signing Sykora. Instead of signing Sykora, how about taking a chance on Bobby Butler, who just got bought out? He'd be some nice forward depth for a team that has none.

Good Poni replacement right there, and cheap.

Edited by Zubie#8

I feel Lou likes Sykora because he can 'trust' him to score around 15 goals. Signing Sykora is probably better than signing nothing. Butler would be a move fine by me. Moose is better than any back up option that was on the market and is apparently well liked by the team.

I feel Lou likes Sykora because he can 'trust' him to score around 15 goals. Signing Sykora is probably better than signing nothing. Butler would be a move fine by me. Moose is better than any back up option that was on the market and is apparently well liked by the team.

And he is wrong, and he is constantly wrong about these issues. Constantly. How many players do I have to list brought in by New Jersey because they were sure things only to find out they weren't? It's Lou's one big hangup, he continues to insist that age is a number when it is so much more than that. Larionov, Mogilny and Malakhov redux, Rolston redux, Holik redux, Arnott redux - about the only one he's gotten right was Sykora, but he's ready to blow that one too.

Hedberg is, by his last two years' stats, the best backup available. It's just really hard for me to have faith that this guy who has always been a below-average goalie has suddenly figured it out at 40.

And he is wrong, and he is constantly wrong about these issues. Constantly. How many players do I have to list brought in by New Jersey because they were sure things only to find out they weren't? It's Lou's one big hangup, he continues to insist that age is a number when it is so much more than that. Larionov, Mogilny and Malakhov redux, Rolston redux, Holik redux, Arnott redux - about the only one he's gotten right was Sykora, but he's ready to blow that one too.

Hedberg is, by his last two years' stats, the best backup available. It's just really hard for me to have faith that this guy who has always been a below-average goalie has suddenly figured it out at 40.

Yeah, in agreement on most of this stuff.

Good Poni replacement right there, and cheap.

Don't know much about him, but it might be worth taking a flyer on him to see if he can replace Poni. Lou did a good job getting Carter and Bernier off of the scrap heap last year, I can see him picking this guy up to improve our forward depth, which is greatly needed.

Don't know much about him, but it might be worth taking a flyer on him to see if he can replace Poni. Lou did a good job getting Carter and Bernier off of the scrap heap last year, I can see him picking this guy up to improve our forward depth, which is greatly needed.

Looks like we were interested in him a few years ago.

The Ottawa Senators are close to signing American college star Bobby Butler, Hockey Night in Canada 's Elliotte Friedman reported Sunday.

Butler, 22, plays in the NCAA for New Hampshire, and led all college players in scoring during the regular season with 27 goals.

He added two more when New Hampshire beat Cornell 6-2 on Friday in the first round of the NCAA men's hockey championship, but his team was eliminated a day later by Rochester Institute of Technology.

Ottawa apparently beat out strong bids from New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver for Butler's services.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...#ixzz0jWhFoq3R

Edited by Zubie#8

Rolston had been solid before coming to the Devils, and wasn't showing any signs of becoming the trainwreck he ultimately became as a Devil. Hard to say how much that high-ankle sprain screwed him up, but I could understand the move at the time, even though the contract was risky with its length, given Rolston's age.

But yeah, Lou has gone to the ex-Devil well a lot, with little payoff.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976