General Mood of the Board

Don

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the most part I still read the main NHL forum, but mostly stick to off-topic posting. Buncha great guys/gals in there, and I'm admittedly probably a bit too pessimistic when it comes to the Devils, and realize that there's no need to piss anyone off. Apparently Triumph already doesn't think I'm old enough to drive.

There's been a lot more traffic and hockey news so the board of late hasn't bugged me much at all. There are so many posts and threads that I can avoid whiney posts and stuff. And olp wrote and red came back and there is ockey talk.

I get bummed out when there's nothing new to read but off-topic and even THERE people are bitching and being self-righteous and redundant -- yeeeesh! (Edit: INCLUDING myself!!)

Edited by Pepperkorn

Long time member and viewer, every now and then poster but I thought I would offer my comments.

I do go here first for nearly all hockey news as it is sure to be posted here before nearly anywhere else.

Its seems as though there are a number of newer posts (from newer posters) that probably should be done via PMs - and it does clutter the board a bit. There's a degree of board etiquette (with respect to postings) that has slacked off over the past number of months.

I agree with the general opinion that the board has gotten "younger" though I can't really say if it is good or bad.

I appreciate the passionate hockey talk and team talk and if we can eliminate the clutter of unnessecary posts it would appeal to me. Not sure how this is done (yes, I know I'm offering issues but no solutions - better get my thinking cap on).

I agree with the general opinion that the board has gotten "younger" though I can't really say if it is good or bad.

I think overall it has been a bad thing. We have some pretty unintelligent posters nowadays that I'm starting to get annoyed with. I think after all my time being on here that I am finally going to start using the ignore user feature.

Edited by Satans Hockey

See that there lies with the issue with a big and successful forum like this.... people do get to know each other on and off the board... not that cliques are too rampant but you have groups of people that do cross-convo alot and inside jokes do poke around, and that's gonna happen

not to mention this place would be a test pattern if not for off-topic come the next few weeks... and it's one time where the strength of the place does become it's weakness

the dumb factor I was more referring to was the Gomez/Rafalski PANIC on the boards as well as the same BREAK UP THE TEAM AND TRADE AND FIRE EVERYONE BECAUSE WE LOST A GAME 2-1... OMG OMG KILL THEM ALL!!!... that typical thread after each game ... and the trade deadline... and July 1st.... holy hell it went too far the other way

it's still JUST a sport and a game....I think that gets forgotten WAY too fast here!

See that there lies with the issue with a big and successful forum like this.... people do get to know each other on and off the board... not that cliques are too rampant but you have groups of people that do cross-convo alot and inside jokes do poke around, and that's gonna happen

not to mention this place would be a test pattern if not for off-topic come the next few weeks... and it's one time where the strength of the place does become it's weakness

the dumb factor I was more referring to was the Gomez/Rafalski PANIC on the boards as well as the same BREAK UP THE TEAM AND TRADE AND FIRE EVERYONE BECAUSE WE LOST A GAME 2-1... OMG OMG KILL THEM ALL!!!... that typical thread after each game ... and the trade deadline... and July 1st.... holy hell it went too far the other way

it's still JUST a sport and a game....I think that gets forgotten WAY too fast here!

OK...I haven't felt the need to say anything in this thread up to now. I still consider myself relatively new to the forum and so I don't really know how the mood may have changed over the last few years.

But, I have to agree that just recently things seem to have gotten a little crazy on here. I think the thing the bothers me most is the numerous pointless threads started just for the sake of it (and I don't mean off topic threads in off topic....I expect that they'll happen). Usually it is about stuff that is already being discussed in other threads anyway, but newbies seem to not want to read those threads, so they just start a new one. I guess my point is...is there currently a filter that stops people starting new threads if their post count is below a threshold, or if their sign-up date is very recent?

OK...I haven't felt the need to say anything in this thread up to now. I still consider myself relatively new to the forum and so I don't really know how the mood may have changed over the last few years.

But, I have to agree that just recently things seem to have gotten a little crazy on here. I think the thing the bothers me most is the numerous pointless threads started just for the sake of it (and I don't mean off topic threads in off topic....I expect that they'll happen). Usually it is about stuff that is already being discussed in other threads anyway, but newbies seem to not want to read those threads, so they just start a new one. I guess my point is...is there currently a filter that stops people starting new threads if their post count is below a threshold, or if their sign-up date is very recent?

I have thought of that at times. But the problem is they can't post introduction threads. Or god forbid a new poster actually has something interesting to tell us in their first couple of posts. The other alternative is have their posts screened for mod approval before they get viewed by the general public (thus increasing our workload a good amount).

I wouldn't want you to have to go to that much trouble DM....tis kinda a pain....eh, guess I'll just grin and bare it for now....should quieten down as the off-season progresses.

I love that video Don...it should be required viewing on all message boards.

That video is amazing. That should deffinatly go up in Hell for a short while.

On a seriouse note:

I have been thinking about this thread latley, whilst browsing the numerouse "garbage" threads in Hell,

I browsed the forums for a good long while before i decided to post, to get to know the Dynamic of the board, i think a lot of the new posters just come straight in and think that its a free for all.

I know its UFA season but its becoming a joke.

Heopfully things will calm down.

BTW this is still the best Devils forum on the net by a mile.

On a seriouse note:

I have been thinking about this thread latley, whilst browsing the numerouse "garbage" threads in Hell,

I browsed the forums for a good long while before i decided to post, to get to know the Dynamic of the board, i think a lot of the new posters just come straight in and think that its a free for all.

I did the same, I was reading this forum for at least a few weeks before finally posting.

You hate to snap at someone for being enthusiastic about the Devils, but the last few weeks have been a little nuts. And I've only been here since February, so I can't really imagine what some of the elder folks feel.

Is there an actual forum rules thread? (Searching for one provides nothing, unless I'm using the wrong terms). If so, maybe pinning it at the top of Hell for awhile, so when the ahem...idiot threads, for lack of a better term...start showing up, there's a hard and fast set of rules that can be pointed to? It doesn't have to be mean (a text version of that video posted earlier would probably be fine) but those who continue to ignore said rules could then be dealt with appropriately.

Just a suggestion to kind of make order of the chaos without overloading our fearless leaders :koolaid:

What I also think is happening is the younger crowd from Devilsrule is coming over to here because Bill reset the forums there.

The weak threads will slow down once they hit the boards more moderate equilibrium (aside from losses,trades) .

On a seriouse note:

Ps: I think i'm the youngest of the board..(16 in 3days)

Don't worry... mentally you are 10-15 years ahead of a LOT of people on here now... (not to OMG.. like... name names :lol: , but just subtily toss cracks at one and point and laugh at the others!!)

laughcrylv9.gif

(I got a 98% for my final English Writing exam..THANKS NJDEVS)! - TravisZajac

DM! You gotta add this to the NJDevs.com banners!!!! And maybe to your sig too!!!

roflmaodt7.gif

That's AWESOME Zajac! :clap2: Way to go dude!!

Peut-etre nous devrons changer a francais juste avant mon prochaine test d'ecrit. :)

Not too bad except 'Devrions' and a=au , but still your good :P

laughcrylv9.gif

DM! You gotta add this to the NJDevs.com banners!!!! And maybe to your sig too!!!

roflmaodt7.gif

That's AWESOME Zajac! :clap2: Way to go dude!!

Hey thanks :evil: Seriously, it really helped me , since i got used to read lot of English because of Njdevs.com ! :P