Marty says Devils were "pretty close" to signing Parise... and

Daniel

that rumour came from who? i NEVER saw any legit report of this or any report at all actually other than people mentioning it here and trust me i looked.

Its more like people are more inclined to believe what they want to believe than anything else.

Look, now it's a legit rumor:

TotallyRealHockyScoops  @totallyrealhockyscoops  2/25/2012

BREAKING: Parise turned down 7 yrs/ 50 mil from #Devils, will test free agency. #scoop #freeagent #insidernews

Is that really all it takes? If you'd prefer to believe something like that over a guy who has been on this site over a decade and has no reason to make things up, then fine. It's not like Sundstrom is here dropping "inside knowledge" from his "sources" every day. This is one of the very very few things Sundstrom has let leak out. Of course we would more likely believe him or something MSweet says than someone who is looking for Twitter attention.

I wish Marty would just shut his fat mouth already. I'm tired of listening to his whiny, me-first diatribes now. Im sure Lou also wont appreciate some of these comments. I'm just sick of him already.

Edited by devlman

BREAKING: Parise turned down 7 yrs/ 50 mil from #Devils, will test free agency. #scoop #freeagent #insidernews

Is that really all it takes? If you'd prefer to believe something like that over a guy who has been on this site over a decade and has no reason to make things up, then fine. It's not like Sundstrom is here dropping "inside knowledge" from his "sources" every day. This is one of the very very few things Sundstrom has let leak out. Of course we would more likely believe him or something MSweet says than someone who is looking for Twitter attention.

i would follow that twitter account - sounds like he knows what he's talking about ;)

What twitter source are you even talking about? 

All i said is that people here always shut down ANY rumours saying "as long TG is not reporting it im not buying! Nothing leaks from Lou" and those are because it's stuff that they don't want to believe. But when it's a rumour they want to believe then the TG approbation goes out the window.

Not saying it's bullsh!t what sundstrom is saying, i have my doubts but that's me, just pointing out the double standard on what some people want to believe is quite funny.

What twitter source are you even talking about? 

All i said is that people here always shut down ANY rumours saying "as long TG is not reporting it im not buying! Nothing leaks from Lou" and those are because it's stuff that they don't want to believe. But when it's a rumour they want to believe then the TG approbation goes out the window.

Not saying it's bullsh!t what sundstrom is saying, i have my doubts but that's me, just pointing out the double standard on what some people want to believe is quite funny.

No, it's very simple.  People don't believe things leak out from Lou because they generally don't.  And there's no reason at all to believe Twitter people.  There is reason to believe sundstrom because he knows people and is not constantly spouting rumors - he's not starting threads about things he knows, or calling attention to it.

the one year deal was the devils, not zach. this is widely known. they didn't have the money at the time. parise was ready for a long term contract both of his last two contracts and the devils didn't do it.

I remember that being the speculation at the time but has that been confirmed anywhere within the organization? Just seems that if Parise was really going to sign long term, on two occasions, then he should have easily been signed when it was time. That's horrible asset management if true. He wanted to sign long term twice, and we balked (for whatever reasons)?

I remember that being the speculation at the time but has that been confirmed anywhere within the organization? Just seems that if Parise was really going to sign long term, on two occasions, then he should have easily been signed when it was time. That's horrible asset management if true. He wanted to sign long term twice, and we balked (for whatever reasons)?

"confirmed" is kinda hard to pin down but anywhere you read at the time or after zach always said he was willing to go long term. lou has intimated without flat out saying that finances were the reason they didn't do it.

"confirmed" is kinda hard to pin down but anywhere you read at the time or after zach always said he was willing to go long term. lou has intimated without flat out saying that finances were the reason they didn't do it.

I always thought the finances played a role in not being able to give him so much money up front.  That seems to be consistent with Lou's comment that the Devils made him a competitive offer in June.

Otherwise, what I think you mentioned was that during the summer he was offered something like 7/49. 

i have heard that the wife was a reason and whether i believe it or you believe it, i dont spread rumours and i do have an ok legit source.

so you say his parents were in his ear and his wife wasnt, yuuuuuuuuuuuup.

edit: finances; fiance, you get the jist

Edited by lazer

Marty didn't say that, and the article didn't say that. Just an editor trying to make a flashy headline for page clicks.

What Marty and the article says is that there was almost an attempt to try and get Suter to come to NJ. It probably never happened because Suter had no interest.

I guess it's this line that serves as confusing: "Brodeur's take was that Parise was very serious about returning, and that adding Suter, a free agent who'd played for Nashville, was a real possibility, too." But yeah it isn't a very professional lead in to a quote (in which Brodeur doesn't say that at all), so you are correct. But my original point was somewhat of a "This writer is full of sh!t" kind of thing. 

i have heard that the wife was a reason and whether i believe it or you believe it, i dont spread rumours and i do have an ok legit source.

so you say his parents were in his ear and his wife wasnt, yuuuuuuuuuuuup.

edit: finances; fiance, you get the jist

Well...we heard over and over JP talking about how great it would be for his son to play for the Wild and come home. He pretty much told the entire world that.

Not even going to touch the wife thing because it seems that every trade demand or free agent signing with his new team as a wife or fiance behind it these days.

Well...we heard over and over JP talking about how great it would be for his son to play for the Wild and come home. He pretty much told the entire world that.

Not even going to touch the wife thing because it seems that every trade demand or free agent signing with his new team as a wife or fiance behind it these days.

Yeah, JP was pretty vocal about wanting Zach in Minnesota. Then he would end it with something along the lines of "but it's Zach's decision and we'll see what he does..." and come right out saying he wants him in Minnesota again a week later.

The one year deal was common sense. He couldn't go into free agency after playing 13 games and scoring 6 points the season prior. He had to come back, make a good showing, and then get rewarded with a huge contract. 

If he had any inetntion of staying with the Devils long term, it would have been done right there. The one year deal shows he just needed to beef up his stats, prove he was recovered, and score a huge deal. Mission accomplished. 

I was pretty pissed when he left, but I kind of forgot about that when Kovy pulled the crap he pulled. Signing somewhere else as a free agent is one thing, bailing on your long term contract is another. 

Edited by mfitz804

Maybe I'm just getting a little softer as I get older, but I don't feel all that much animosity towards Parise. It can't be easy to turn down playing with a close friend where you grew up for that kind of money, including a $20 million up front lockout-proof bonus.

I'm definitely not happy he's gone, and maybe without Kovy re-signing in 2011 or if the finances weren't bad, or if Lou's damned magic crystal ball wasn't on the fritz that year, we'd be a much different team right now. But I'm kind of just indifferent to him. No hate. I mean, I don't want to see him lifting the cup or anything, but still.

I hope so. I hope it's a downright hostile place for him. He deserves no less.

I'm not talking just booing either- there better be some LOUD 'Parise Sucks' chants. I want him to be as unfocused and uncomfortable as possible. I want his night to be fvcking miserable from start to finish.

Maybe I'm just getting a little softer as I get older, but I don't feel all that much animosity towards Parise. It can't be easy to turn down playing with a close friend where you grew up for that kind of money, including a $20 million up front lockout-proof bonus.

I'm definitely not happy he's gone, and maybe without Kovy re-signing in 2011 or if the finances weren't bad, or if Lou's damned magic crystal ball wasn't on the fritz that year, we'd be a much different team right now. But I'm kind of just indifferent to him. No hate. I mean, I don't want to see him lifting the cup or anything, but still.

I'm a little more ambivalent on the Parise thing too now, but mostly cause we have more than enough internal issues to have angst over as it is without wasting time on outside bs.  Ironically if we were in the playoffs for sure like some other seasons I'd be more likely to be at the front of the line of people booing him.

I'm taking my frustration for these last two seasons out on him. He can eat sh!t.

That's definitely a way to look at it too.  If we're completely out of it Thursday (which we may well be if we lose and the Jackets/Rangers win tonight) I might adopt that mindset...especially since we can't take it out on 17.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm a little more ambivalent on the Parise thing too now, but mostly cause we have more than enough internal issues to have angst over as it is without wasting time on outside bs. Ironically if we were in the playoffs for sure like some other seasons I'd be more likely to be at the front of the line of people booing him.

That's definitely a way to look at it too. If we're completely out of it Thursday (which we may well be if we lose and the Jackets/Rangers win tonight) I might adopt that mindset...especially since we can't take it out on 17.

I need an outlet to blame this fvcking sh!t show on. Zach's as good as anyone. He deserves the sh!t he gets from Devils fans. He's a little fvcktard who slunk out of town to play with his buddy. Who, may I add, also deserves hell rained down on him Thursday.

We probably couldnt afford Suter anyway, but he's a little bitch for not even considering coming here because he didn't want to play in the east. fvck that guy.