2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

The Fins essentially gave up this game so Miami can host another Super Bowl. Fuhrer Goodell has said that if teams want a shot at hosting a Super Bowl in the future, they have to commit to having games in London. And since Ross is more interested in hosting Super Bowls than playing in them, he was all too happy to oblige the Fuhrer in surrendering a divisional home game.

Is it the same for the visiting team in London too? I know the Giants already had a London game in 07 or 08 and the Patriots had one (Boston is sniffing around for a Super Bowl too) so I suppose the Jets needed to go if they wanted to have another Metlife Super Bowl (which nobody in this area really cares about doing again anyway)

Is it the same for the visiting team in London too? I know the Giants already had a London game in 07 or 08 and the Patriots had one (Boston is sniffing around for a Super Bowl too) so I suppose the Jets needed to go if they wanted to have another Metlife Super Bowl (which nobody in this area really cares about doing again anyway)

I don't think so. From what I read, they want teams to willingly surrender home games in order to be considered for hosting a Super Bowl. The Super Bowl/London thing is a new form of extortion the Fuhrer has decided on to essentially bully teams into being able to host Super Bowls. When the Fins played the Giants in London in 2007, such extortion didn't exist yet.

The Fins essentially gave up this game so Miami can host another Super Bowl. Fuhrer Goodell has said that if teams want a shot at hosting a Super Bowl in the future, they have to commit to having games in London. And since Ross is more interested in hosting Super Bowls than playing in them, he was all too happy to oblige the Fuhrer in surrendering a divisional home game.

The cold weather and dome teams should band together and refuse to give up a home game to London en masse, that'd end the extortion. They don't want to have cold weather Super Bowls every year after all...

Edited by NJDevs4978

have a bad feeling here. Jets get the turnover late in the 2nd half and can't move the ball. Folk misses a FG. Then Pitt comes down the field with 0 time outs and kicks a 53 yarder. This game has Jets collapse written all over it. We needed to get into the half up 3 scores

yea. I mean this game isn't over yet but Vick has given you a competent, workmanlike effort at QB making some big plays through the air and using his feet. The stuck with Geno far too long and when Vick was inserted before he was rusty (and trotted out into 105 degree heat in a 21-0 game) now he's getting 1st team reps and surprise surprise...looks like a legit NFL QB. Which is what he is.

Folks miss bothered me at the end of the half. If he makes that the Jets kickoff and pitt gets the ball deeper than they did with a miss. So they likely don't get into FG range. The game would likely be 23-0 now instead of 20-3.

Edited by '7'

Well you know everything's going your way when Vick throws a Geno-ish pass in the red zone and it doesn't get picked off.

And when Suisham misses a 23-yard FG lol

heh. That was a hilarious kick

Still the Jets play calling on the ensuing possession was terrible. Solid start 4 yards Johnson up the middle. Then a poor throw (should've ran it again) then a free blitzer crushes Vick on 3rd down. Shocked Vick didn't fumble

Does seem like everything is going the Jets' way.  That's the NFL today though...though this game is a surprise, it's not really THAT much of a surprise.  sh!t like this simply happens these days.

Does seem like everything is going the Jets' way.  That's the NFL today though...though this game is a surprise, it's not really THAT much of a surprise.  sh!t like this simply happens these days.

Maybe this should've been sort of expected with Pitt coming off a huge win against their division rival Ravens. I don't think this Steeler team is that good anyway. Not in the mold of the 2008-2011 Steeler clubs. I mean they lost to Tampa earlier this season

But the Jets played a very solid mistake free game top to bottom. They shut Pitt down in the redzone. They got to Roethlisberger (though it's impossible to pull him down) they didn't look helpless in the secondary. They used a bunch of guys to run the ball, and they FORCED TURNOVERS. Key word FORCED. First INT was on a pass breakup that popped in the air. Second was when Ben was forced from the pocket. You do those things and you will end up with the football sometimes

Plus the Jets were really pissed off today with the whole banner flying thing, Steelers fans in their building (they're in every building really) so I think Rex used the "us against the world" thing all week and it worked

that said I thought the officiating today was atrocious.

Edited by '7'

Even when everything's perfect for 58 minutes the Jets STILL do their best to implode, back to back personal fouls on Vick and Rex followed by an 80-yard bomb up the middle to make it a one-score game.  Of course they still have to recover the onside.

heh, though this time they were ready for the onside kick

Though what is up with the Steelers diving over the pile on the Vick kneel down. That's a cheap, dirty football play. I put it on Tomlin

heh, though this time they were ready for the onside kick

Though what is up with the Steelers diving over the pile on the Vick kneel down. That's a cheap, dirty football play. I put it on Tomlin

I didn't see the second and third kneeldowns but if they did that it was probably them being pissed at Vick for throwing the football at their DB the series before.  Of course nobody's going to give Tomlin the **** Schiano got for it cause the Steelers are a golden boy franchise.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I didn't see the second and third kneeldowns but if they did that it was probably them being pissed at Vick for throwing the football at their DB the series before.  Of course nobody's going to give Tomlin the **** Schiano got for it cause the Steelers are a golden boy franchise.

exactly, though Tomlin already has a few big strikes against him. That idiotic sideline blocking play last year and missing the playoffs two years in a row. If they miss this year Tomlin will be on a hot seat.

I mean we're splitting hairs, but I'd say they should be around a 5-6 win team (in the preseason most were predicting them for anywhere from 6-9 so whatever they finish at is going to be a LOT off from there.

..alot off from what? 6 wins?

We have 2 wins currently, and with Buffalo, Minnesota, Tennessee, and a split to the Jeckal\Hyde Dolphins.. I can theoretically see 4 more wins on the table.

I don't know how you wouldn't bring Rex back if he can muster up 6-7 wins, on a team that lost both their starting CB's.. and witnessesed their starting quarterback implode before our very eyes.

yea. I mean this game isn't over yet but Vick has given you a competent, workmanlike effort at QB making some big plays through the air and using his feet. They stuck with Geno far too long and when Vick was inserted before he was rusty (and trotted out into 105 degree heat in a 21-0 game) now he's getting 1st team reps and surprise surprise...looks like a legit NFL QB. Which is what he is.

Vick threw 2 TD's today.. no turnovers.. rushed for 40 yrds, and had only 8 incompletions. Of the 8, two were deliberate throw-away's, and two others were drops by Kerley & Amaro. His passer rating was; 116. Last week, Vick threw 21-28 for 200 yrds, with a passer rating of; 105.7 --and again, no turnovers. Of the 7 incompletions, 4 were drops.. by: Amaro, Powell, and two from Decker. The week before that, he came off the bench cold, having not practiced with the first team unit all season.. rushed for 70 yrds, and led the Jets offense to 23 points in 3 quarters.

Vick's completion percentage is 60% over these past 3 weeks.. with over 610+ all-purpose yrds, in about 9½ quarters worth of football.

..it will take an offer of 2 years to get the contract signed.. but rest assure, provided Vick can stay healthy for the remainder of the season.. we're looking at the starting quarterback of the 2015 New York Jets.

This is so reminiscent of what happened with Testaverde in 1998, it's down right scary. The Jets are the PERFECT team for Vick to rejuvenate his career. We have a defense.. we have Mornhinweg.. and now with Harvin to complement the others, we have weapons. It's time the organization did right by Rex. GIVE THIS MAN A LEGIT QB!

exactly, though Tomlin already has a few big strikes against him. That idiotic sideline blocking play last year and missing the playoffs two years in a row. If they miss this year Tomlin will be on a hot seat.

Yet there was far more ink and attention paid to Sal Alosi than there ever was given to Tomlin for THAT, even though it was pretty much the same act.  Proof being I almost forgot about the Tomlin play myself :P

I mean we're splitting hairs but I'd say they should be around a 5-6 win team (in the preseason most were predicting them for anywhere from 6-9 so whatever they finish at is going to be a LOT off from there), you'd figure the front seven should be able to win a couple of games by itself but even the supposed strength of the team has looked ordinary since the San Diego game.  Both lines really shouldn't have been as ordinary as they've been this year.  Offensively the running game really isn't that awful, or at least it wasn't last year.  This year it took a step back with CJ shoehorning into Powell's role.  Decker's fine when he plays but Kerley took a major step back this year after looking pretty decent last year, and they've never really gotten anything out of Amaro despite an obvious need for a playmaker offensively.  

We have 2 wins currently, and with Buffalo, Minnesota, Tennessee, and a split to the Jeckal\Hyde Dolphins.. I can theoretically see 4 more wins on the table.

I don't know how you wouldn't bring Rex back if he can muster up 6-7 wins, on a team that lost both their starting CB's.. and witnessesed their starting quarterback implode before our very eyes.

Vick threw 2 TD's today.. no turnovers.. rushed for 40 yrds, and had only 8 incompletions. Of the 8, two were deliberate throw-away's, and two others were drops by Kerley & Amaro. His passer rating was; 116. Last week, Vick threw 21-28 for 200 yrds, with a passer rating of; 105.7 --and again, no turnovers. Of the 7 incompletions, 4 were drops.. by: Amaro, Powell, and two from Decker. The week before that, he came off the bench cold, having not practiced with the first team unit all season.. rushed for 70 yrds, and led the Jets offense to 23 points in 3 quarters.

Vick's completion percentage is 60% over these past 3 weeks.. with over 610+ all-purpose yrds, in about 9½ quarters worth of football.

..it will take an offer of 2 years to get the contract signed.. but rest assure, provided Vick can stay healthy for the remainder of the season.. we're looking at the starting quarterback of the 2015 New York Jets.

This is so reminiscent of what happened with Testaverde in 1998, it's down right scary. The Jets are the PERFECT team for Vick to rejuvenate his career. We have a defense.. we have Mornhinweg.. and now with Harvin to complement the others, we have weapons. It's time the organization did right by Rex. GIVE THIS MAN A LEGIT QB!

Needless to say I did not have this ever being a win when I wrote the above, there was zip, zilch and nothing all season that would have indicated this Jet team could have possibly slowed down a Steeler attack that threw for nine thousand TD's the last two weeks.  Like CR said earlier, every week a nutty result or three happens every week in the NFL.  Clearly though Daniel was wrong about this being a team that just should not win any games.

They won't have much choice but to bring Vick back if they get to 5-6 wins, they won't be able to get one of the top QB's in the draft and there isn't exactly going to be much else out there in FA.  Problem with that is you also have to bring in a 2 that can actually play cause you KNOW Vick can't stay healthy for 16 games, he's never done it and I doubt he's going to start at 35.  It's not even like the offense has been great the last two weeks though (it's kind of sad when we're throwing a party over a combined 30 points in two games just because it just hasn't competely imploded).

As far as Rex the problem with saying well if he gets to 5-6 wins he should stay - and I'd say he probably will stay if it gets to that - is that they did this same thing LAST year, winning games after they were eliminated.  And even at the end of this game there was too much Rex sloppiness.  Sure they play for him, even now and he's a likeable guy so I can see the blind loyalty you have for him but Rex is clearly a limited 'head' coach.  Top-notch motivator and most of the time good-great d-coordinator...but is that ever really going to be enough considering all the other stuff (sloppiness in terms of penalty/timeout usage, the total hands-off offense, taking the players' coach behavior over the top at times)? 

Thing is if Rex stays, Idzik stays.  He has to, it just wouldn't be right to let Rex have THREE different GM's.  And clearly having a new GM attached at the hip with Rex didn't attract the best GM candidates last time around.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Beez, in fairness, you're leaving out key info.  Great, Vick had only 8 incompletions.  He only threw the ball 18 times.  Of course, when his completion rate was much better last week (21 for 28), you include that in your post.  You can't just cherry-pick the stuff that looks good (like you did with Vick's losses/game played stats)...it's often misleading. 

TD passes are an overrated number...obviously, what you want to see is your team scoring points (the Jets have scored 30 points in the last two weeks, and if you want to make a big deal out of 23 points in a blowout loss to the Bills at home, great...but when the game was still within reach after halftime, the O did very little, except score a TD in garbage time after the game had long been decided).  If your QB throws for 2 TD and 0 INT and your offense only scores 14 points, is that better than if your QB has a 1 TD-pass, 1 INT day, but your RBs ran in three more scores?  Boomer said it's funny, in that he's seeing more QBs throwing for one- and two-yard scores than he can remember...basically to puff up the TD pass numbers.  TD passes are a number than can be manipulated (by throwing in situations where the ball could easily be run...Peyton does this a lot).  They're almost a little like saves in baseball in that regard.   

As far as Vick goes...the one thing that can be said is that he's better than Geno, but we kind of figured he would be.  If I'm the Jets, I'd move on from him mostly because he's injury-prone and not getting any younger.  If the Jets don't think they can find anyone else, then you can bring him back, but he wouldn't be my Plan A.  I think they can do better/younger/healthier. 

They won't have much choice but to bring Vick back if they get to 5-6 wins, they won't be able to get one of the top QB's in the draft and there isn't exactly going to be much else out there in FA.  Problem with that is you also have to bring in a 2 that can actually play cause you KNOW Vick can't stay healthy for 16 games, he's never done it and I doubt he's going to start at 35.  It's not even like the offense has been great the last two weeks though (it's kind of sad when we're throwing a party over a combined 30 points in two games just because it just hasn't completely imploded).

As far as Rex the problem with saying well if he gets to 5-6 wins he should stay - and I'd say he probably will stay if it gets to that - is that they did this same thing LAST year, winning games after they were eliminated.  And even at the end of this game there was too much Rex sloppiness.  Sure they play for him, even now and he's a likeable guy so I can see the blind loyalty you have for him but Rex is clearly a limited 'head' coach.  Top-notch motivator and most of the time good-great d-coordinator...but is that ever really going to be enough considering all the other stuff (sloppiness in terms of penalty/timeout usage, the total hands-off offense, taking the players' coach behavior over the top at times)? 

Thing is if Rex stays, Idzik stays.  He has to, it just wouldn't be right to let Rex have THREE different GM's.  And clearly having a new GM attached at the hip with Rex didn't attract the best GM candidates last time around.

If Rex stays, (and I believe he should) Idzik should come back along also. The only way I would fire Idzik, is if Rex gets fired.. because then you're basically handcuffed for Idzik 2-3 more years with another Head Coach. I think the basis of keeping Rex is: Quality NFL Head Coaches (like quarterbacks) are not easy to come by. Jason Garrett is coaching his 5th season in Dallas, and has still yet to play a postseason game. I'm one of the few people that credited Jerry Jones in having patience with JG, in a era where #SocialMedia can dictate a shorter lifespan of a Coach.

I have no problem in "upgrading" Rex.. just let me know who the candidate(s) are that you're considering. Otherwise it becomes a notion of just changing the Head Coach, for the sake of changing the Head Coach. I've never said Rex is without his faults. He certainly has limitations, --as many other HC's do. I just feel his pro's outweigh the cons.

Regarding Vick: I agree with you that finding a solid #2 QB to play behind him is essential going forward. Whether that's signing a veteran UFA.. drafting a Top QB.. or via trade. (ie: Johnny Football) Again though, and I said this in another thread: The Jets operated this way with Pennington for 7+ seasons. I don't mind resigning a 34 year old QB to be a 'bridge' to the next drafted QB of the Jets (whoever that may be) just as long as the kid holds the clipboard to start the year. If Vick continues to kick ass and the Jets continue to win games, he should be the incumbent starter next season. If he gets injured, then it's somebodies else opportunity.

I don't agree that judging Vick should be as simple as; "how many points did the Jets score" either. A caller on Boomer\Carton literally just said the same thing earlier this morning, and he was ripped for it. If you WATCH the games, you see the difference. You can see Vick move the ball down the field, move the chains on 3rd downs, and just get a better overall understanding on the offense in general that the scoreboard doesn't show you. Yesterday Kerley "broke too late on a route" (his words) which caused him to drop a TD pass that Vick put perfectly. That's 7 points. That's not on Vick. Folk misses a makeable 39 yrd FG. That's 3 more points. That's not on Vick.

Since Geno got the hook, Vick is converting 3rd downs at a 44.2% rate (9/16 in Week 8, 4/12 in Week 9, and 6/15 in Week 10).  Jets were at 39.4% for the season with Geno taking most of the snaps, so yeah, it's been better with Vick, but a lot of that is based off Week 8.  In the last two weeks, the 3rd down conversion rate is 33% and 40%.  So it's really too early to say whether or not Vick is making that much of a difference yet, re:  the games within a game (though, again, he's clearly waaaaaaaay ahead of Geno...Vick can at least provide something resembling NFL-quality QB play at the position.  Geno no longer could).       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Since Geno got the hook, Vick is converting 3rd downs at a 44.2% rate (9/16 in Week 8, 4/12 in Week 9, and 6/15 in Week 10).  Jets were at 39.4% for the season with Geno taking most of the snaps, so yeah, it's been better with Vick, but a lot of that is based off Week 8.  In the last two weeks, the 3rd down conversion rate is 33% and 40%.  So it's really too early to say whether or not Vick is making that much of a difference yet, re:  the (though, again, he's clearly waaaaaaaay ahead of Geno...Vick can at least provide something resembling NFL-quality QB play at the position.  Geno no longer could.       

making a dif. to me is whether or not a team wouldve won the game with another qb. would the jets have won yesterday with geno? i cant really say.

i do agree that points scored isnt exactly the best barometer to judge how a qb is performing

making a dif. to me is whether or not a team wouldve won the game with another qb. would the jets have won yesterday with geno? i cant really say.

i do agree that points scored isnt exactly the best barometer to judge how a qb is performing

Geno just looked like he was incapable of handling an NFL offense when he was mercifully given the hook.  Like I said, Vick is light-years ahead of Geno in that regard, and that's indisputable.  With Vick, you have a chance to win.  Geno was no longer capable of providing that, so no way I think Geno could've led his team to a win yesterday.

As for points scored...it's not like it's a must to score 30+ PPG to win (though it usually is for the Patriots).  In a game like yesterday's for the Jets, sure, you'd like to get some insurance points, but it gets to a point where you don't want to make any mistakes and jeopardize a multi-possession lead.  The Jets' D was holding down the Steelers' O until that big TD play at the end in near-garbage time (sure, that play gave the Steelers a shot to win had the on-side kick been successful, but that's a low% play...NE recovered one and went on to beat the Browns that season, but that happens so rarely), so it wasn't like there was a great urgency for the Jets to score more points.  But still, in a game against the Chiefs where the Jets needed to score, they couldn't.  In the game against the Bills, the offense stalled after the Jets got back in the game and had momentum on their side at the half.  

If you're a Jet fan, what you can take away from this game is that the offense is headed in the right direction, but most weeks they're going to need to produce more than 20 points (didn't hurt their cause that one of the TDs came on a 20-yard short field).  We'll see if Vick can provide that.  If the Jets pull off some surprising upsets in the weeks to come, Vick (injury warts, age and all) probably comes back.  

..that's because it isn't. There are many other factors that come into what Vick brings to the table, and if you can't tell by simply looking with your eyes, I simply don't know what to tell you. If you're judging the offense under Vick, then you should judge it as the NFL adjudicates\grades their offenses.. by yards. The NFL doesn't rank the offenses by points scored, or 3rd down conversions.. they rank them by yrds the offense produces. Under that premise, you've got 275 yesterday from the Jets.. 364 the week prior, with 308 coming from the 3 quarters Vick was in the game, and the rest from Simms. --and again, over 300+ yrds in Buffalo after Geno Smith had exited the game.

That's nearly 900 yrds in total offense throughout 9½ quarters worth of football over these last 3 weeks.. and people are harping about points??

Scoring points is very tricky, because there are other variables that go into it. As I said before: Amaro drops a pass on 3rd down that hits him in the numbers, which would've put the Jets in the redzone on the 16 yrd line.. that's not on Vick. Chris Johnson loses a fumble on 2nd and goal.. that's not on Vick. The same can be said for points scored. Theoretically, Team A could intercept the ball from Team B on their own 4 yard line.. run a play and score a TD. On the following kickoff, Team B could fumble with Team A recovering on the 2 yrd line, and run yet another TD. Team A just scored 14 points.. moving the ball for a combined 6 yrds.

There have been instances where Vick puts the Jets in positions to score, but the players have failed to execute for one reason or another.

Furthermore, these critiques on Vick come without properly giving this offense ample time to get acclimated with one another. Vick has only 2 weeks worth of practice with the 1st team all season. Percy Harvin has been here only 2 weeks. It stands to reason that the upside of this offense is higher than what's being produced now. --but what's being produced now is roughly 300 yrds of offense per game. THAT's where the excitement for Jet fans comes into play. It's based off: "Hey, if we can continue to run an offense of around 300 yrds per game, and not turn the ball over.. -like we've been doing these last 2 weeks- ..how much better can we do as the offense finds further chemistry?"

..that's because it isn't. There are many other factors that come into what Vick brings to the table, and if you can't tell by simply looking with your eyes, I simply don't know what to tell you. If you're judging the offense under Vick, then you should judge it as the NFL adjudicates\grades their offenses.. by yards. The NFL doesn't rank the offenses by points scored, or 3rd down conversions.. they rank them by yrds the offense produces. Under that premise, you've got 275 yesterday from the Jets.. 364 the week prior, with 308 coming from the 3 quarters Vick was in the game, and the rest from Simms. --and again, over 300+ yrds in Buffalo after Geno Smith had exited the game.

That's nearly 900 yrds in total offense throughout 9½ quarters worth of football over these last 3 weeks.. and people are harping about points??

Scoring points is very tricky, because there are other variables that go into it. As I said before: Amaro drops a pass on 3rd down that hits him in the numbers, which would've put the Jets in the redzone on the 16 yrd line.. that's not on Vick. Chris Johnson loses a fumble on 2nd and goal.. that's not on Vick. The same can be said for points scored. Theoretically, Team A could intercept the ball from Team B on their own 4 yard line.. run a play and score a TD. On the following kickoff, Team B could fumble with Team A recovering on the 2 yrd line, and run yet another TD. Team A just scored 14 points.. moving the ball for a combined 6 yrds.

There have been instances where Vick puts the Jets in positions to score, but the players have failed to execute for one reason or another.

Furthermore, these critiques on Vick come without properly giving this offense ample time to get acclimated with one another. Vick has only 2 weeks worth of practice with the 1st team all season. Percy Harvin has been here only 2 weeks. It stands to reason that the upside of this offense is higher than what's being produced now. --but what's being produced now is roughly 300 yrds of offense per game. THAT's where the excitement for Jet fans comes into play. It's based off: "Hey, if we can continue to run an offense of around 300 yrds per game, and not turn the ball over.. -like we've been doing these last 2 weeks- ..how much better can we do as the offense finds further chemistry?"

I find this attachment you have to Vick to be bizarre.  I guess if you see him as "not Geno", that's fine.  But you got another thing coming if you think even with a full season he gets you more than five wins.  He's a good scrambler with a big arm, but that's about it, and he's going to be 35 to boot.  He's inaccurate and he's not much of a thinker at the position.  He came into the season completely unprepared and unmotivated.  That's the kind of QB that screams top seven pick in the draft.