Why does Gary Bettman get booed all the time?

hobgoblin933

I haven't been very into hockey for a very long time (only since the 2007 playoffs), and I was wondering why the commissioner is so hated? In any interview or TV appearance I've seen him in, he always seems outspoken and less cryptic and "corporate" than a lot of other people in executive positions are. Did he do something in the past that I don't know about? Is it because of the lockout and the rule changes and stuff?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He gets to take the slack for anyone's displeasure the league. He is ALWAYS boo'd. Especially when he presents the cup. Which is stupid because Anaheim, Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Chicago winning were probably a product of his ideals and his system.

He gets to take the slack for anyone's displeasure the league. He is ALWAYS boo'd. Especially when he presents the cup. Which is stupid because Anaheim, Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Chicago winning were probably a product of his ideals and his system.

I always kinda get that feeling kind of myself. It's kinda lame. Makes me feel like he definitely doesn't want NJ to have another cup if he's aiming for bigger market teams to make the NHL money. But I don't really know how any of it works so...

In short:

- Trying to turn the NHL into the NBA (used to be an exec for the NBA)

- Dumbing down the game so "casual" viewers can adopt easier (I so miss the Wales and Cambell conferences and the Patrick and other divisions)

- Has a burning man-crush on Sidney

- Has a slightly less burning man-crush on Ovechkin

- Because of Crosby and Ovechkin, lets the TV networks only promote them along with Toronto, Philly, NY, LA, Chicago and Detroit. All other markets are SOL.

- When was the last time you saw the Devils on NBC and it was not against any of the above teams mentioned?

- Beats his wife (I'm guessing at this one as I have no evidence)

- Under his tenure, more teams have folded, relocated, and expanded than ever before thus dropping the overall quality due to the high number of teams

- 2005 Lockout

- Phoenix Coyotes

- Brodeur Rule (I might be wrong on this as this is most likely the Board of Gov fault)

That's the gist of it.

In short:

- Trying to turn the NHL into the NBA (used to be an exec for the NBA)

- Dumbing down the game so "casual" viewers can adopt easier (I so miss the Wales and Cambell conferences and the Patrick and other divisions)

- Has a burning man-crush on Sidney

- Has a slightly less burning man-crush on Ovechkin

- Because of Crosby and Ovechkin, lets the TV networks only promote them along with Toronto, Philly, NY, LA, Chicago and Detroit. All other markets are SOL.

- When was the last time you saw the Devils on NBC and it was not against any of the above teams mentioned?

- Beats his wife (I'm guessing at this one as I have no evidence)

- Under his tenure, more teams have folded, relocated, and expanded than ever before thus dropping the overall quality due to the high number of teams

- 2005 Lockout

- Phoenix Coyotes

- Brodeur Rule (I might be wrong on this as this is most likely the Board of Gov fault)

That's the gist of it.

I'll wait for someone to provide me with ONE shred of evidence of anything he's personal done to warrant so much hate. Hopefully you realize how many people are employed with the NHL to make these decisions.

I used to absolutely despise him, but I have recently grown to understand his positions on things more and more. That said, I still don't agree with many things that he has done, and now only mildly dislike him.

He's the puppet/spokesperson for the owners.... he does sound a bit like a scummy lawyer at times and he has an NBA background (boo'able offense there alone), but for the most he's done a decent enough job... boo'ing him for shootouts is acceptable though!

Its become "cool" to boo any commissioner because he's the symbol for all grievences (real or imagined) against the league. Its the same whenever they announce political figures at a sports event as well. The politician could have won 75% of the vote there but they'll still get boo'd just because of who they are. I also believe there's a cultural divide between Bettman (high whiney voiced Jewish New York lawyer) and the cornfed Canadian/Great Lakes/New England/Upstate NY good ole boy Don Cherry hockey types that despise that Bettman "Isn't a hockey guy growing up on the ponds but an NBA guy" (I find this ironic since Bettman worked for the Islanders prior to joining the NBA's front office).

Everytime Bettman tries to put the focus back on the ice both the hockey and general media keep dragging him into questions regarding the business. Meanwhile the "King" of commissioners David Stern has presided over a league where 3 teams have won 60% the league's championships, had the worst sports gambling scandal in modern sports history including charges of fixing games, and currently had to use league funds to bail out 12 franchises to cover their payroll in a single season. But since Stern is paid-up with the right press people in NYC and Bristol this all gets swept under the rug or conveniently forgotten quickly.

Over time I've to have grown to understand and agree with many of Bettman's positions on many issues regarding the league and that a lot of criticism of him is underlied with what I've written above.