GDT: 1/21/14 Blues @ Devils

Mike Brown

This is what I imagined from Cory and a main reason why I couldn't imagine the Devils would be in the bottom 5-6 like many said. Little did I know how few starts Cory would have. But when you show to be a goalie that stops pucks over 92% of the time, and then you come into a system that gives up the least amount of shots, your team can't be that awful.

Obviously the goal supper difference when Brodeur and Cory start is an anomaly, and playing Cory will only benefit this team moving forward.

The Devils are finally healthy. Cory has clearly established that he is the best goalie. Hopefully this team goes on a nice run.

PBD was very stubborn about this, but I think he's finally realizing which goalie deserves the go-to guy treatment at this point.  And that's not knocking Marty...not too many guys at 41 play like they did in their prime.

Devils are actually kind of on a nice run...9-4-5 in their last 18 GP.  It doesn't feel that good because of the continued shootout futility (0-3 in that stretch), the general offensive struggles, and with one of the losses coming against Buffalo. 

• Like 1

Great win.  But I need to let my frustrations out.  

Whose decision was it to have the game?  Seriously?!  Those roads were not driveable.  It was state of emergency for a reason!

But good on the Devils for offering a free game for those who went.  But I'd be super pissed if I had a ticket to this game and couldn't go.  Only the Devils would still hold a game during a state of emergency.

Great win.  But I need to let my frustrations out.  

Whose decision was it to have the game?  Seriously?!  Those roads were not driveable.  It was state of emergency for a reason!

But good on the Devils for offering a free game for those who went.  But I'd be super pissed if I had a ticket to this game and couldn't go.  Only the Devils would still hold a game during a state of emergency.

without looking at the schedule I'd imagine they wanted to push the game through tonight since my guess is St. Louis isn't in the area again this season and it might have been difficult with the Olympics and condensed schedule to find a good makeup date. But let's be honest, a Tuesday night game against a western opponent wasn't going to be a big draw, so I don't think the nhl felt too bad about it. If we're consistently selling out they might have a different outlook.

I'd be interested to find out who exactly makes the decision. I'm sure the nhl has the biggest say but I'd imagine both teams have significant input, especially the home team.

supposedly Henrique had a shot deflected off his hand

Deboer commented in the post game that he didn't think it was serious

this sounds on the positive side.. we need him to stay in the line up we need everyone to stay in the line up we cant have janssen back up here already..hopefully not again the rest of the season

First game of my visit on vacation.

Had to go out and buy snow gear in the morning. That was just unreal.

Made friends with a guy at Dino BBQ who had glass seats so when they announced everyone to move down he saved me a seat and I was on the glass in section 5.

No better way to start the vacation. Pure awesome.

Henrique took a puck to the hand. Hopefully he returns Friday.

On to the Capitals! Bring on 2 more points!

• Like 2

First game of my visit on vacation.

Had to go out and buy snow gear in the morning. That was just unreal.

Made friends with a guy at Dino BBQ who had glass seats so when they announced everyone to move down he saved me a seat and I was on the glass in section 5.

No better way to start the vacation. Pure awesome.

Henrique took a puck to the hand. Hopefully he returns Friday.

On to the Capitals! Bring on 2 more points!

Haha wow I forgot you were seeing this game - excellent choice, free seats in the lower bowl and a dominating victory.

As for the actual game - Blues were coming off a game last night and they just weren't sharp at all.  It happens to every team - when it happens to NJ, people jump up and down demanding the coach's head.  But NJ got 3 fluke type goals that went in off something.  It would have been nice to save one of those goals for another game.  Still, I like the looks of these lines - Jagr still has to get in sync with Boucher, but when he does, that line could be quite excellent, in addition to the other 2 lines which are already very good.  

When's that hotel next to the Rock supposed to be opening up?

It'd be nice to have for nights like tonight..assuming rooms aren't absurdly expensive.

Marriott's been open since 2012.

Finally we get a game like this. Now can they put on a winning streak for once? Columbus can do it.

Edited by Marv4Life

Haha wow I forgot you were seeing this game - excellent choice, free seats in the lower bowl and a dominating victory.

As for the actual game - Blues were coming off a game last night and they just weren't sharp at all.  It happens to every team - when it happens to NJ, people jump up and down demanding the coach's head.  But NJ got 3 fluke type goals that went in off something.  It would have been nice to save one of those goals for another game.  Still, I like the looks of these lines - Jagr still has to get in sync with Boucher, but when he does, that line could be quite excellent, in addition to the other 2 lines which are already very good.  

The other thing is hopefully some Devils fans finally realize that it's not uncommon for teams with better records to lose to teams with worse records.  Whenever the Devils lose to a team below them in the standings, right away it's "How do we lose to a team like THAT?!", as though it never happens to anyone else.  By that logic I'm sure the Bruins, Penguins, Blues, Canadiens, Lightning, and Ducks were all asking themselves the same thing when the Devils beat them.

Obviously lots of fun for the Devils last night, and the Blues probably deserved a little better than they got (though not much), but yeah, every team has about 5 or so games like that a season, where they're tired, things kind of get away from them early, and then they just want to get off the ice and call it a night.  Hitch probably knew that, did what he could to try to stave it off (change the goalie), but sometimes it's just not going to be your night. 

It's a small thing, but I like the fact that the Blues didn't get two or three cheapies to make it a 7-3 or 7-4 game.  Yeah, the Devils still would've won handily, and we'd all still be tickled with the 7 goals, but I like that Cory finished the game with terrific numbers (and some nice saves) yet again.  Great for him. 

And I guess a tiger never changes its stripes...after Devis goal #7, I saw a clip of Hitchcock looking down at his players and saying "C'mon, let's go!"  I remember seeing Hitch do the exact same thing so long ago, after Sergei Brylin scored on that insane backhand as he was being taken down, and put the Devils up 5-1 in Game 1 of the 2000 SCF (Sykora would score shortly after, chasing Belfour).  Memories...      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If you went to the game, each ticket you bought gets you two tickets to a game. Per announcement yesterday and tgs blog:

The Devils announced tonight those who were unable to make it to Prudential Center for Tuesday’s 7-1 win over St. Louis can exchange their unused paid tickets for tickets to one of the following four home games: Feb. 7 vs. Edmonton, Feb. 27 vs. Columbus, March 4 vs. Detroit or March 27 vs. Phoenix. As a reward to those fans who did attend Tuesday, they can receive two tickets to one of those same four games for each paid ticket used Tuesday. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/#sthash.s44u2105.dpuf

If you went to the game, each ticket you bought gets you two tickets to a game. Per announcement yesterday and tgs blog:

The Devils announced tonight those who were unable to make it to Prudential Center for Tuesday’s 7-1 win over St. Louis can exchange their unused paid tickets for tickets to one of the following four home games: Feb. 7 vs. Edmonton, Feb. 27 vs. Columbus, March 4 vs. Detroit or March 27 vs. Phoenix. As a reward to those fans who did attend Tuesday, they can receive two tickets to one of those same four games for each paid ticket used Tuesday. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/#sthash.s44u2105.dpuf

Nice move by Ownership, I owe them an apology.   I was pretty pissed last night when I thought I had to eat my tickets since there was no way of getting up there from Philly.  Still can't believe I missed that kind of offensive outburst.  Hopefully they don't get shut out at whichever make up game I attend.      

Wow. 

So glad I went too, and I was one of those that said "steal a point". The crowd atmosphere was good and happy to see the organization letting everyone come down to the lower bowl. Was kinda funny seeing the people that work the seating area keep kicking fans out of the black seats though that were trying to sneak in there. 

Lot of lucky bounces, especially that Gelinas center ice shot, but I hope it puts much needed confidence into the whole team and carry it forward. 

I really hope they play like this on Sunday, and I really am hoping for a Gionta vs Zuccarello scrap. Battle of the little guys. HAHA!
Oh yea and the train was the best possible way in and out of there, so glad I went with that route.