2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

The worst decision is clearly playing Brodeur over Schneider.  I really cannot understand that decision unless it is some dumb 'We've won with Marty, we haven't with Cory' idiotic mindgame.

Pete should just play a recording of his comments the other day every time Brodeur starts:

Reporter: You like Marty in nets again tonight?

Pete: One second (takes out tape recorder and hits the play button) "He feels good and wanted the game, so that was good enough for me."

Edited by devilsrule33

I would much have preferred to see a Teddy-JJ-Bernier line. I'd even throw Brunner on there as the RW and give them the world's softest minutes and see how they do.

the problem is no matter who is on the 4th line, Pete will probably still roll 3 lines starting midway through the second... So it doesn't really make that much of a difference- anyone playing on that line will only get 6-7 minutes of ice time at most (plus some pk time maybe)

tedenby-josefson-brunner might have potential. Speedy. Too bad janssen is playing instead.

I think broduer is playing tonight so Schneider gets them on Friday and marty plays buffalo on Saturday. Instead of Schneider today, marty Friday, Schneider Saturday and then marty again in montreal. No point in bouncing back and forth between goalies and not allowing them to get in the groove. aka marty.

tedenby-josefson-brunner might have potential. Speedy. Too bad janssen is playing instead.

I think broduer is playing tonight so Schneider gets them on Friday and marty plays buffalo on Saturday. Instead of Schneider today, marty Friday, Schneider Saturday and then marty again in montreal. No point in bouncing back and forth between goalies and not allowing them to get in the groove. aka marty.

That's what I was thinking, we don't have an actually speedy line, but this one would be. Maybe Teddy and Brunner can work something on the rush, give things a different look. JJ will be solid no matter who he's with, so I'm never worried about him.

That's what I was thinking, we don't have an actually speedy line, but this one would be. Maybe Teddy and Brunner can work something on the rush, give things a different look. JJ will be solid no matter who he's with, so I'm never worried about him.

The rush requires them to get out of their own zone, which they're not very good at. If you throw them on the same line you'll pump them up with o-zone starts.

I'm a huge Janssen fan but he really should be scratched. I don't mind that Brunner is sitting out again though. Still think it might be worth it to let Whitney have a chance.

I've been fine with Brodeur playing the majority of games since he's been playing well but I was hoping Schneider would get this game. A bit worried about his comments of how frustrated he is, though I can't blame him. Can't think of a goalie as solid as him that spent so much time as a back up in his career off the top of my head. Too early to worry about this now but I do wonder what happens if Brodeur comes back next year.

I'm a huge Janssen fan but he really should be scratched. I don't mind that Brunner is sitting out again though. Still think it might be worth it to let Whitney have a chance.

I've been fine with Brodeur playing the majority of games since he's been playing well but I was hoping Schneider would get this game. A bit worried about his comments of how frustrated he is, though I can't blame him. Can't think of a goalie as solid as him that spent so much time as a back up in his career off the top of my head. Too early to worry about this now but I do wonder what happens if Brodeur comes back next year.

It's pretty simple - he does it in another uniform.

If Marty keeps playing this way I could see him asking for a two-year deal lol.  And Schnieder'll be gonzo, or at least he'll request a trade.

It's pretty simple - he does it in another uniform.

No he won't.  They hero worship him to the point where Schnieder never plays anymore except in back-to-backs, they're sure as shooting not going to let him walk after this year unless he crashes and burns the rest of the season.

If Marty keeps playing this way I could see him asking for a two-year deal lol.  And Schnieder'll be gonzo, or at least he'll request a trade.

No he won't.  They hero worship him to the point where Schnieder never plays anymore except in back-to-backs, they're sure as shooting not going to let him walk after this year unless he crashes and burns the rest of the season.

If that happens, then Lou has officially jumped the shark.  It's been discussed before, but it reaches a point where you can't let an aging former great hold the franchise hostage.  Lou was extremely fair in the last contract he gave Marty (at Marty's age, there was clearly risk involved).  It was basically a "Thanks for all you've done, even though you're probably not going to live up to the actual value" kind of deal, but an understandable one.  Doesn't mean Lou has to dole out another one to a guy who's going to be 42.   

Tri is right...it is extremely unlikely that Marty will keep up this level of play.  If he somehow managed to do it, I think the Devils still have to walk away from him no matter what.  If that means Marty has to play a handful of games for another team, so be it...it happens.  Ray Bourque played for the Avs, Joe Montana played for the Chiefs, Michael Jordan played for the Wizards...the list goes on.  No other goalie has anywhere near the wins that Marty does for one team, which says it all, as far as a top goalie staying with one team for his entire career goes.  But there's no way in hell this should ever turn into a Mark Messier situation, especially since there's a guy clearly capable of taking over (and who cost the Devils a first-rounder at that).  

I can't see Brodeur playing for another team, even if Lou refused to offer him a contract for next season.  I personally think he'd walk away at that point.  I also don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his sh!t and go if Marty came to him at the end of this season and wanted to play one more year.  Lou apparently isn't afraid to tell hall of fame players when its time to hang them up (apparently, according to Shanny, Lou told him that he could no longer keep up in the NHL when the Devils cut him loose a few seasons ago even though Shanny didn't agree at the time), but I think it's just different with Marty for Lou.

I can't see Brodeur playing for another team, even if Lou refused to offer him a contract for next season.  I personally think he'd walk away at that point.  I also don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his sh!t and go if Marty came to him at the end of this season and wanted to play one more year.  Lou apparently isn't afraid to tell hall of fame players when its time to hang them up (apparently, according to Shanny, Lou told him that he could no longer keep up in the NHL when the Devils cut him loose a few seasons ago even though Shanny didn't agree at the time), but I think it's just different with Marty for Lou.

It's also on the player to make the transition for his team as painless as possible.  Marty should care about the state of the Devils beyond his playing days, especially since there's a good chance he's still going to be part of the organization going forward.  What's best for the Devils is Schneider getting all of 2014-15 as the no-doubt-about-it starter, with either Kinkaid, Wedge, or some veteran backup type as his backup...a guy who clearly is not a threat to take the #1 job, or thinks of himself as such.  Marty going into next season thinking he's still a potential #1 is not a good situation for anyone involved.  The Devils have to cater to Schneider over Marty eventually.  You don't give up #9 overall picks to bring in a stopgap...Lou clearly made that move thinking Cory would be the man starting in 2014-15 at the latest.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

sh!t. TG's twitter account was hacked, I believe.

1. Devs' lines: Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr; Henrique-Elias-Brunner; Carter-Loktionov-Bernier; Tedenby-Josefson-Ryder.

2. Looks like Volchenkov will be in for Harrold tonight and Brunner in for Janssen.