Free Agent/Trades Off-season 2005

NJDevs4978

Philadelphia Flyers

Player Contract Notes 2005-2006 Salary (US)

Jeremy Roenick $4.94 million

Keith Primeau $3.42 million

Danny Markov $2.356 million

Eric Desjardins $2.28 million

Michal Handzus $2.128 million

Donald Brashear $1.748 million

Mike Knuble $1.52 million

Sami Kapanen $1.52 million

Turner Stevenson $1.254 million

Joni Pitkanen $900,600

Mattias Timander $608,000

Jeff Carter Signed rookie deal Undisclosed

Mike Richards Signed rookie deal Undisclosed

11 Players 2 Salaries Undisclosed $22,674,600

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understood, the Flyers had somewhere around $7 million in cap room left after qualifying players and the buyouts. Of course, this assumes that nobody goes to arbitration, they all accept qualifiers, etc.

Hatcher wanted 3 years, $3 million per year, according to reports. I bet Therian signed for close to minimum. Which would leave the rest for Rathje. Maybe to go to a team that he thought could win, Hatcher took less.

Basically, if anyone takes Clarke to arbitration and wins, he's screwed. Actually, he'll have to walk away from the award.

So ridiculously awful. just awful, like throwup awful like bobby clarke needs to stop shooting up heroin awful.

hatcher-jonsson

markov-rathjie

pitkanen-dejardins?

therien?-timmander?

what the hell does this mean joni's going back to the AHL? total bullsh!t. Seidenberg is going back to the AHL. Freaking therien? jgoa3wpghabgeagohiae

I like rathjie, great signing. BUT HATCHER!??!?! Where is the logic in that. Then you come up with this retarded idea to get therien back? have you ever seen therien play? He shows up only when playing every so often. He is very good against guys like bertuzzi and really good players, but when it comes to a 4th liner he makes them look like a top line player. Its so frustraing to watch. Plus he is obstruction king, so he's gonna get killed. AGH

This was supposed to be joni's break out year. Now he's not even going to freaking play. god agh

he makes all these amazing drafts, then he does this. every year aaghahgpiewhogw. Next thing ya know he's gonna sign some stupid center so richards and carter and sharp go to the AHL. agh

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

and rumors of madona to the bruins!???!!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS OFFSEASON!??!?!? please be only a rumor.

Edited by bruins4777

Well, Tie, I don't anyone here loves you either. So it's unanimous.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1044442957278

Domi's feeling unloved

Enforcer: I'm just taken for granted

Pens could be in market for muscle

PAUL HUNTER

SPORTS REPORTER

Frustrated by what he considers a lack of appreciation from within the Maple Leafs' organization, unrestricted free agent Tie Domi sat down with his agent last night to examine four contract offers from other NHL clubs.

"If I was really wanted here, I wouldn't have made it to 12:01 (when the free agency period began yesterday). People have short memories about what you do for a team," an emotional Domi said last night.

"I never thought it would even cross my mind (to leave Toronto). But after 12:01 today ..."

Asked if he felt unwanted by the Leafs, Domi said the problem might be that the team just assumes he'll be back. That has allowed the Leafs to play hardball in negotiations.

Domi, who returned to the Leafs at the 1995 trade deadline, has often gone public saying Toronto is only team for which he'll play. He now says his family is behind him if he has to move.

"I think I'm just taken for granted a little bit," he said.

Domi said his agent Pat Morris spoke to Leafs general manager John Ferguson late Sunday night and again yesterday.

It is believed Toronto has offered Domi a one-year deal at about $1 million (all figures U.S.). Domi, 35, would have made $1.9 million last year and it is thought that the enforcer is unhappy with both the amount and length of the Leafs' offer.

Domi said he may make a decision as early as today if he finds an offer to his liking. The winger is a friend of Pittsburgh owner Mario Lemieux and it is thought the Penguins are interested in bringing him in to help protect top pick Sidney Crosby.

"The Leafs are still in the mix but it's unfortunate it had to get to this moment. Now the opportunities are there and the options are there. You have to look at them. It's nice to be wanted and have options," he said.

Bruins, just remember one thing about Bobby Clarke. He reflexively signs people he believes his rivals might want, just to keep them away from other teams. He used to do it with the Rangers all the time. So he probably looked at some of the bluelines in the Eastern conference and said, I have a little cap room, I can fit all these guys in, let's keep them away from team a, b or c. I'm not saying it's the best thing to do for his own team. But it is oh so Clarke-like.

That makes sense sue......but still, so god damn frustrating.

I have to watch freaking derian hatcher for an entire season??!???! Every game i'll be like. YES GREAT SAVE ESCHE!!!! CARTER WHAT A MOVE! GREAT DEFENSE BY RICHARDS!! FVCK HATCHER(this one about 10 times over)

it will be so just....bipolar.

it will be so just....bipolar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it makes you feel any better, consider that may be Clarke's problem as well.

Or maybe he's just an ass.

But overall, he had a pretty good day. Think of it this way. He probably signed Therien to the minimum for insurance and he may very well play in the minors. Yes, he signed Hatcher who may be less effective than he used to be but he got Rathje. He is damned good, and younger, and Clarke needed someone like him on the blueline. And the most likely problem with Hatcher will be an injury problem, and in that case, Hatcher's salary doesn't go against the cap. Plus they have enough guys who can move the puck well that Hatcher's lack of mobility will be compensated for pretty well.

Edited by SueNJ97

Blackhawks land free agent Aucoin

TSN.ca Staff

8/2/2005 10:09:57 AM

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed free agent defenseman Adrian Aucoin to a four year deal worth $16-million.

Originally drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in 1992, Aucoin had been with the New York Islanders since a 2001 trade with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"Adrian Aucoin was one of the top players we had targeted," said Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon. "He's a smart hockey player, logs lots of ice time, and is a solid two-way player who has an excellent shot from the point. He possesses excellent leadership skills and is a character player. He is also a classy individual who fits in perfectly with our organization."

In three seasons with the Islanders, Aucoin notched 33 goals and 80 assists. Aucoin played in 81 games for the Islanders during the 2003-04 season, averaging nearly 27 minutes of ice-time while being named to his first NHL All-Star Game. That season saw him register 13 goals, 31 assists for 44 points which led all Islanders defensemen in scoring.

During the lockout he played for MoDo of the Swedish Elite League, scoring two goals and four assists in 14 games.

Tallon says he had a number of conversations with player agents on Monday, the first day of free agency, and is hopeful of making more announcement.

"We were like an old fisherman-trolling. We were finding out interest [from potential signees] and receiving calls. It was exciting," he tells the Chicago Sun Times.

"We made some offers and tried to sell the benefits of coming to the Chicago Blackhawks. And some came at us with some offers."

The Philadelphia Flyers were also reportedly interested in Aucoin but agent Larry Kelly said they dropped out because the asking price was considered too high.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132177&hubName=

It mentions near the bottom of that article that :

"Kevin Epp, the agent for free agent defenseman Scott Niedermayer, says he's disappointed the Flyers have not called. It's believed Niedermayer's reported $7-million asking price was just too high for Clarke."

At least we won't have to see Nieds in orange and white next year.

"Kevin Epp, the agent for free agent defenseman Scott Niedermayer, says he's disappointed the Flyers have not called. It's believed Niedermayer's reported $7-million asking price was just too high for Clarke."

What I don't get it: Why would the agent even care? From what I understand, he talked to 14 different teams yesterday.

What, is that not enough? Why should he even care about the Flyers?

What I don't get it: Why would the agent even care? From what I understand, he talked to 14 different teams yesterday.

What, is that not enough? Why should he even care about the Flyers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because he thought he could screw more $$ out of Philly (despite the fact that they had only so much under the cap left - in the immortal words of Scotty, I cannae change the laws of physics, or in this case, cap finance Mr. Epp)?? Because he thought with an offer from Philly in hand Lou might UP the offer??? This is an agent, who knows what reasons he has for what he does.

From the Spectors thread it looks like Rafi is getting 4 mill offers. Which would fit with Aucions numbers. Jeez why are the GMs still overpaying.

Stevens is staying a Devil, I can't see him going anywhere else. And Nieds, I half think he will sign somewhere else just to say he did it once.

Or, also plausable, Scott wants to leave the Devils but keep his house and his kids in the same school. However, he doesn't want to go to a team that sucks so the Rangers and Isles are out. That leaves the Flyers.

If we lose Niedermayer, Stevens and Rafi Lou has his work cut out for him.

Matvichuk-Martin

Hale-White

Brown-Albelein????

Edited by PeteyNice

Or, also plausable, Scott wants to leave the Devils but keep his house and his kids in the same school. However, he doesn't want to go to a team that sucks so the Rangers and Isles are out. That leaves the Flyers.

Matvichuk-Martin

Hale-White

Brown-Albelein????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which Scott are you referring to? If it's Niedermayer, after these signings (if they are as reported), the Flyers can't afford him. It didn't seem like they thought they could afford him to begin with. If it's Stevens, well, that would bite big time, wouldn't it. Also interesting to see how Flyer fans would react to having the man they claim to hate play on their team.

The flyers made sense to Neids b/c he could maybe stay in Jersey and get more money from the Phailures instead of Lou.

I just don't understand Clarke at times. Therian has to be an insurance signing and Rahje is very good signing. Hatcher is weird as others have stated. They have a lot of talented youth trying to make the lineup.

This is a crossroads for Lou right now. The flyers have loaded up. Will he try to match it with the limited funds or stay the course as he always has. The new CBA helped Clarke by letting wipe away the sins of the past (Amonte and Leclair) without penalty to free up huge amounts of cap space. Plus he got his Brodeur rule in. My expectations for this season are dwindling.

I guess I am resembling chicken little on the first day and a half of free agency (which is unfair to Lou) but sometimes unavoidable as a passionate fan.

Matvichuk-Martin

Hale-White

Brown-Albelein????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is hard to imagine that we would start the season with the defense we have:

Matvichuk-Martin

Hale-White

Brown-Albelein

It looks mediocre to me, IMO Lou will have to acquire another prime defensemen if we cant get Nieds, Raffi, or Stevens.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.