All purpose Olympics thread

SterioDesign

That's why Matt Hendricks and Brad Boyes are beasts at them, right?  That's why Crosby and Ovechkin are only league average at them, right?  They are just a crapshoot.  Hell even Ryane Clowe was at 40% coming into this season.  The Devils have plenty of guys who are at worst league average, and capable of putting pucks in during shootout attempts.  There is very little correlation between skill and shootout success rate.

Anyways, this is the Olympics thread.  The fact Backstrom couldn't play because he took allergy medicine has to be one of the more ridiculous things ever.  But I definitely don't have a problem with the Olympic committee having such a strict Substance Abuse policy.  Tough break for Sweden.

The Devils have plenty of guys capable of putting pucks in during shootouts.....Then why the fvck don't they......your way off on this .

LOL. One SO goal scored all season is "bad luck" AND goaltending? How can you even put goaltending in it? The team has scored ONE SO goal all season. They are operating under historical levels of futility here. 

The Devils as a group are taking bad attempts. They are also a bit exposed not having players like Kovalchuk and Parise "lead off" the SO with a goal. Bad luck isn't missing the net. Hitting posts is a better example of bad luck. The puck squeezing through pads and stopping just short of a goal is bad luck There's just no excuse to reasonably miss the net on a SO attempt in the first place.

As far as players, how many times has Elias half assed a shot into the pads? How many times has Zajac gotten in too close before making a move? Henrique? I can name twice, on his backhand and forehand, he made the right move and missed top shelf. 

If they were just bad, instead of historically futile, they've gotten good enough goaltending to win a few of these at least.

The goaltender always has the statistical advantage when it comes to penalty shots and shootouts.  Otherwise the league shooting percentage wouldn't be at 32%.  Look the Devils don't have a team of Cam Janssens here.  They have guys who have had success in the past on this roster.  It just goes to show how quickly things can turn around.

It's funny you bring up Zajac, Elias, and Henrique.  All three of those guys have hit the post or have actually beaten the goalie only to fail at actually putting the puck in.  The only explanation is bad luck in those instances.  The hardest part of shootouts is getting the goalie out of position.  The team has been successful at doing that.  Actually putting the puck in should be the easy part, but it hasn't happened at all.

There is no explanation for the failures this year other than bad luck.

The Devils have plenty of guys capable of putting pucks in during shootouts.....Then why the fvck don't they......your way off on this .

Elias and Clowe were at around a 38-40% clip prior to this season.  Zajac was around 30-35% which is at worst league average.  So yes they clearly have capable people.

PRIOR TO 2013-2014

Elias: 39%

Clowe: 39%

Zajac: 33%

PRESENT TIME

Elias: 36%

Clowe: 36%

Zajac: 27%

Edited by Mike Brown

The goaltender always has the statistical advantage when it comes to penalty shots and shootouts.  Otherwise the league shooting percentage wouldn't be at 32%.  Look the Devils don't have a team of Cam Janssens here.  They have guys who have had success in the past on this roster.  It just goes to show how quickly things can turn around.

It's funny you bring up Zajac, Elias, and Henrique.  All three of those guys have hit the post or have actually beaten the goalie only to fail at actually putting the puck in.  The only explanation is bad luck in those instances.  The hardest part of shootouts is getting the goalie out of position.  The team has been successful at doing that.  Actually putting the puck in should be the easy part, but it hasn't happened at all.

There is no explanation for the failures this year other than bad luck.

Mike, you're shifting. The first part has nothing to do with my reply to you in placing any liability on the Devils goalies, because you can not do so.

Again, the Devils only have ONE SO goal all season. One. You can't score one SO goal all season and put your own goaltenders as one of the causes of the Devils record. If CS or Brodeur allow one goal, they lose. They have to stop every attempt until somehow, someway the Devils find a miracle and score and then hope it's enough.  if the Devils were merely bad, instead of historically bad, they had enough goaltending to win a few. If they were average, they might have won more.

An example of bad luck is hitting posts or even pucks bouncing/rolling off sticks when making a move. Bad luck is not finishing after getting the goaltender out of position with a gaping top shelf.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Mike, you're shifting. The first part has nothing to do with my reply to you in placing any liability on the Devils goalies, because you can not do so.

Again, the Devils only have ONE SO goal all season. One. You can't score one SO goal all season and put your own goaltenders as one of the causes of the Devils record. If CS or Brodeur allow one goal, they lose. They have to stop every attempt until somehow, someway the Devils find a miracle and score and then hope it's enough.  if the Devils were merely bad, instead of historically bad, they had enough goaltending to win a few. If they were average, they might have won more.

An example of bad luck is hitting posts or even pucks bouncing/rolling off sticks when making a move. Bad luck is not finishing after getting the goaltender out of position with a gaping top shelf.

I don't disagree with your point on goalies.  Overall Brodeur has been around league average (.636) in shootouts, and Cory has been below average (.500).  Neither have been awful.  I wasn't actually trying to blame the goalies.  I apologize if you took it that way.

Our shooters have hit a lot of posts, and have had a lot of misbehaving pucks.  And I disagree with saying not being put the puck in the open net isn't bad luck.  There's not a single player in the entire realm of hockey who can't shoot the puck into an open net.  The Devils don't have a team of Jay Pandolfos.  We have guys who do have history of being successful in the shootout.  If you look at the stats I provided, you'd see that.  Shootout success can turn around on a dime.

I don't disagree with your point on goalies.  Overall Brodeur has been around league average (.636) in shootouts, and Cory has been below average (.500).  Neither have been awful.  I wasn't actually trying to blame the goalies.  I apologize if you took it that way.

Our shooters have hit a lot of posts, and have had a lot of misbehaving pucks.  And I disagree with saying not being put the puck in the open net isn't bad luck.  There's not a single player in the entire realm of hockey who can't shoot the puck into an open net.  The Devils don't have a team of Jay Pandolfos.  We have guys who do have history of being successful in the shootout.  If you look at the stats I provided, you'd see that.  Shootout success can turn around on a dime.

Mike, i only replied in regards because that is what you said lol.

"Honestly, our shootout record is mostly because of bad luck and our goaltending.  The goaltending in the shootouts has been pretty bad."

I disagree on the bad luck, still. Actually, i am tired of hearing this with this team to be honest. 

Mike, i only replied in regards because that is what you said lol.

"Honestly, our shootout record is mostly because of bad luck and our goaltending.  The goaltending in the shootouts has been pretty bad."

I disagree on the bad luck, still. Actually, i am tired of hearing this with this team to be honest. 

Well the only logical explanation is bad luck or something unforeseen.  In other words, there is no logical explanation at all.  And the goaltending has been part of the problem, and even you have criticized Schneider for it.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10505967/2014-sochi-olympics-sweden-top-center-nicklas-backstrom-tests-positive-banned-substance

I didn't realize Nicklas Bäckström was missing because of doping. The Swedish team is furious because were were told only shortly before the game that he couldn't play even though the IOC knew about the positive test 36 hours prior to the game

It was allergy medicine. Not doping.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10505967/2014-sochi-olympics-sweden-top-center-nicklas-backstrom-tests-positive-banned-substance

I didn't realize Nicklas Bäckström was missing because of doping. The Swedish team is furious because were were told only shortly before the game that he couldn't play even though the IOC knew about the positive test 36 hours prior to the game

It was Claritan.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. "It is our further understanding that the positive test was the result of a common allergy medication taken by the player knowingly, with the approval of the team doctor.

he took a banned substance, call it want you want.

If the team weren't checking the medications their players were taking, they are simply incompetent

• Like 1

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. "It is our further understanding that the positive test was the result of a common allergy medication taken by the player knowingly, with the approval of the team doctor.

The team doctor should get fired if that's true

Oh my bad, a player can't take a simple medicine for his allergy. Maybe he shouldn't take it all, and miss the game because he couldn't take it. It isn't a big deal.

Furthermore,"the medicine was approved by the Swedish national team. And it isn't a banned substance in the NHL. Read the article first...

Edited by CarterforPresident

Oh my bad, a player can't take a simple medicine for his allergy. Maybe he shouldn't take it all, and miss the game because he couldn't take it. It isn't a big deal.

Furthermore,"the medicine was approved by the Swedish national team. And it isn't a banned substance in the NHL. Read the article first...

My point is that the list of banned substances is well know before the games and the team doctor should be aware of what is allowed or not. Giving a played the green light to take a medication that includes a banned substance is plain incompetent. I am sure there are other allergy medications in the world. If Bäckström’s version of the story is true, I don’t blame him at all.

It's not that I didn't expect the Americans to win, but I'm by no means shocked, and like I said some days ago, the media is just further damaging their credibility by pegging the bronze metal game as a major upset. If you think that's the case, you don't know much about hockey, and just counted the number of NHLers on each roster. I think with how Finland looked, if they hadn't lost Koivu and Fillpula, they could've won the gold.

Read your own article. The TEAM itself( Sweden) approved it ASWELL.

My point is that the list of banned substances is well know before the games and the team doctor should be aware of what is allowed or not. Giving a played the green light to take a medication that includes a banned substance is plain incompetent. I am sure there are other allergy medications in the world. If Bäckström’s version of the story is true, I don’t blame him at all.

A medication taken for seven years, during thr last Olympics as well. It isn't a big deal at all. Allegra, Zyertec would have piped positive as well for this.

That is my point! They are incompetent for approving a medication that contains substances banned by the IOC.

Edited by CarterforPresident

Well the only logical explanation is bad luck or something unforeseen.  In other words, there is no logical explanation at all.  And the goaltending has been part of the problem, and even you have criticized Schneider for it.

I've criticized CS because he hasn't been good at one on one, period. He also hasn't had any goal support in the SO, either, just like Brodeur. As a goaltender, who the hell can win a SO when your team scores ONE goal the whole season?

You're doing it again, Mike. You say goaltending is a problem, then say you aren't actually blaming the goaltenders, then you go back to saying the goaltending is part of the problem. I'm being nice here, but this is why members like CR and DM84 get frustrated. This isn't about someone misunderstanding you. 

• Like 1