Johan Hedberg at rangers camp on professional tryout?

SterioDesign

Do they really need to expect much of him, though?  As long as Lundqvist doesn't have any injury problems, he'll be eating most of the minutes.

In an 82-game Olympic year with the back-to-backs (and Lundqvist is playing THERE too) they gotta play a backup at least 15 times and that's being conservative.  Two years ago Lundqvist played 62 games and had his best season, I'd think they would want to keep him around that number if possible.

That's plenty of time for a backup to screw the pooch unless you're a clear first-place team with wiggle room.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think my desire for him to get another year in the big leagues trumped my hatred for the Rangers on this one. It was an abrupt ending to his career, I hope he can continue to work with and for the New Jersey Devils in some capacity, so we can at least continue to show him our respect in the years to come

Goalie coach?  They could find a spot for him in the organization.  

Didn't Lou already mention that they would find a place for him in the org if he retired as a player?

he even sucked too much for the rangers.. would you look at that. What does it take to realize and accept your days of playing are in the past.. nj wanted to give him a job doing something else shouldve hopped on it.

Yes, he had a not so great season last year, but the year before that he played well. Your talent doesn't just slip away magically. He'd probably still be an ok back up for some team, but I think he had himself set to play this year. We bought him out somewhat unexpectedly and naturally he looked for a local place to play out the year.

LL doesn't offer jobs to people, especially vague, not really described positions, if he's just going to take it off the table 5 mins later.

I'll put it this way, if I ask you to rate your driving skills in relation to the rest of everyone, what percentage of drivers would you say you are more skilled than? 10%-25%-50%-75%-90%?

Let me tell you, it's not going to be less than 50% and I imagine hockey players feel the same way about their skills on the ice, as is only natural.

Edited by ATLL765

Didn't Lou already mention that they would find a place for him in the org if he retired as a player?

Yes, he had a not so great season last year, but the year before that he played well. Your talent doesn't just slip away magically. He'd probably still be an ok back up for some team, but I think he had himself set to play this year. We bought him out somewhat unexpectedly and naturally he looked for a local place to play out the year.

LL doesn't offer jobs to people, especially vague, not really described positions, if he's just going to take it off the table 5 mins later.

I'll put it this way, if I ask you to rate your driving skills in relation to the rest of everyone, what percentage of drivers would you say you are more skilled than? 10%-25%-50%-75%-90%?

Let me tell you, it's not going to be less than 50% and I imagine hockey players feel the same way about their skills on the ice, as is only natural.

if i got into an acident once a month and it was constantly my fault or even if it wasnt my fault and i couldve done something to avoid it but got into the accident anyway... i think sooner or later you realize you are a sh!tty driver and should stay off the road.. hedbergs play last year is equivilant to the 90 year old lady doing half the speed limit while your stuck behind her on your way to work in the morning... IF were comparing play to driving here.. after a while youve gotta realize your garbage.

if i got into an acident once a month and it was constantly my fault or even if it wasnt my fault and i couldve done something to avoid it but got into the accident anyway... i think sooner or later you realize you are a sh!tty driver and should stay off the road.. hedbergs play last year is equivilant to the 90 year old lady doing half the speed limit while your stuck behind her on your way to work in the morning... IF were comparing play to driving here.. after a while youve gotta realize your garbage.

Sooner or later you figure it out that you are a terrible driver, which is why old people just stop driving right? And why I don't read, "I hit the brake but nothing happened" as an excuse for an old person having run over somebody every month or so in the news?

C'mon, no one ever thinks they're a bad driver, even if they're AWFUL. I have a friend, sort of, that's crashed like 5 cars in 5 years, I guarantee he thinks he's a pretty good driver. Is he? Obviously not, but he ain't about to hand over his license. At least not the one in the state where his privileges aren't suspended LOL.

I was only using that as an example of how one might think they are still skilled when in fact, they are not quite as skilled as they think. If it's hard to accept you're a bad driver, imagine what that would feel like if all your life, all you focused on was driving and before you're even that old, you're pretty bad at it? It's hard to let go of that and I think we should all be a bit more respectful to a guy who was a consummate professional in his time here.

At least now that he's not signing with the Rags, then we all could have said whatever we wanted.

It's not always that easy to just walk away. He's played hockey his whole life, and has spent 20 years being paid to do what he loves. He's only one year removed from a respectable 2011-12 season. Not a lot of people can just say "oh well, it's over, moving on."

It's not always that easy to just walk away. He's played hockey his whole life, and has spent 20 years being paid to do what he loves. He's only one year removed from a respectable 2011-12 season. Not a lot of people can just say "oh well, it's over, moving on."

Exactly... I'm sure he had an image of he and Marty playing out the end of this season and skating off into the sunset of retirement to a packed sold out crowd at The Rock saluting them both with a standing ovation. Feel bad for the guy considering how it really went down, regardless of how thrilled I am about having Schneider on our team..

I think it's a mistake to walk away too.  It's all ego and pride that leads one to do so.  When I was 12 I left ballet absolutely cold turkey because I didn't have the right legs.  My teachers were shocked and you know, I was praised for it.  they didn't want to have to start giving me crap roles and stuff even if they were just the childrens parts - I didn't get Claira in the Nutcracker and asked what gives - got my answer - I weren't never going to be Claira - got the same from NYC ballet and ABT so I hung up the point shoes before I hardly got them on.  I just dont see the point in wasting time living in/clinging on to some pipe dream.  :noclue: 

YET - I could have held on to that dance training far more than I did. It would have really been beneficial.  And if I wasn't doing it for joy primarily, what is really the point?  Experiences help you learn and move forward and you know, you can do things without having to know you can reach the top echelon. It's kind of a trap to hold yourself to those kinds of goals.  Why not look for I dont know, what happiness is?  I hated the business of acting, marketing yourself is for sh!t and I suck at immodesty - it smacks of lying to me, it's dishonest...   As a parent my view has shifted.  I'm not sure I hold myslef to the same standards I used to.  I dont know. 

I'm proud of these players who stick it out.  I think their motivation is healthier than - my own I guess.  :noclue:  There is a lot more to life and these guys aren't doing anyone harm if they can still perform to the NHL standard even if it's not their own personal best standard.  :noclue:  that's my thinking or the thinking I'm trying to adopt because intellectually I understand it's a lot healthier...

i suspect  :P (you KNOW I'm all competitive with thought to trying to breed the best damm shetlands around now.  I effing have to learn the meaning and acceptance of the term personal best  :P  :rant:  :argh:

I think it's a mistake to walk away too.  It's all ego and pride that leads one to do so.  When I was 12 I left ballet absolutely cold turkey because I didn't have the right legs.  My teachers were shocked and you know, I was praised for it.  they didn't want to have to start giving me crap roles and stuff even if they were just the childrens parts - I didn't get Claira in the Nutcracker and asked what gives - got my answer - I weren't never going to be Claira - got the same from NYC ballet and ABT so I hung up the point shoes before I hardly got them on.  I just dont see the point in wasting time living in/clinging on to some pipe dream.  :noclue:

YET - I could have held on to that dance training far more than I did. It would have really been beneficial.  And if I wasn't doing it for joy primarily, what is really the point?  Experiences help you learn and move forward and you know, you can do things without having to know you can reach the top echelon. It's kind of a trap to hold yourself to those kinds of goals.  Why not look for I dont know, what happiness is?  I hated the business of acting, marketing yourself is for sh!t and I suck at immodesty - it smacks of lying to me, it's dishonest...   As a parent my view has shifted.  I'm not sure I hold myslef to the same standards I used to.  I dont know. 

I'm proud of these players who stick it out.  I think their motivation is healthier than - my own I guess.  :noclue:  There is a lot more to life and these guys aren't doing anyone harm if they can still perform to the NHL standard even if it's not their own personal best standard.  :noclue:  that's my thinking or the thinking I'm trying to adopt because intellectually I understand it's a lot healthier...

i suspect  :P (you KNOW I'm all competitive with thought to trying to breed the best damm shetlands around now.  I effing have to learn the meaning and acceptance of the term personal best  :P  :rant:  :argh:

psychologist-smiley-emoticon.gif mmmhmmm.... and how did that make you feel?