Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

And again, that has its downsides, because the last time he did it, he got back Brandon Sutter for Jordan Staal, and Sutter sank under Staal's minutes.  I doubt he gets equal return for Letang either, which is a curious move to make when your two best players are right in their prime.

of course but it's still better to get brandon sutter than watching staal walk the year after. god knows if they would have been able to sign a center able to play staal's minutes either. Plus it has his risk of not making a move and that the players get injured after and that he eventually walk the next season so you got fvcked all the way.

all im saying basically is not necessarely to make trades or move mid season but at least get a pulse of whats going on so you can have more options and calculate the risks

of course but it's still better to get brandon sutter than watching staal walk the year after. god knows if they would have been able to sign a center able to play staal's minutes either. Plus it has his risk of not making a move and that the players get injured after and that he eventually walk the next season so you got fvcked all the way.

all im saying basically is not necessarely to make trades or move mid season but at least get a pulse of whats going on so you can have more options and calculate the risks

It's all about risk/reward. Staal is significantly better than Sutter. True, Staal was going to walk but you may be looking at another cup

And now, a Penguins defense which is already not great and for which there are no answers on the free agent market, will get worse if they deal him.  

It's shrewd to do it once, but keep doing it and you get diminishing returns.  And the Devils have kept plenty of players who they've gone to the last second with.

It's all about risk/reward. Staal is significantly better than Sutter. True, Staal was going to walk but you may be looking at another cup

Staal was not gonna make a difference against Boston, maybe if they would have won a game at least but getting swept like that. a third line center won't make a difference that big. They had Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Morrow, Iginla... thats more firepower than you'd need.

I know Jordan's defensive play is good but that was not really the problem, the Pens lost cause they couldnt score mostly

And now, a Penguins defense which is already not great and for which there are no answers on the free agent market, will get worse if they deal him.  

It's shrewd to do it once, but keep doing it and you get diminishing returns.  And the Devils have kept plenty of players who they've gone to the last second with.

haha for a second i thought you were saying Letang was not great....

cause obviously that can't be what you meant........ right? 

Staal was not gonna make a difference against Boston, maybe if they would have won a game at least but getting swept like that. a third line center won't make a difference that big. They had Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Morrow, Iginla... thats more firepower than you'd need.

I know Jordan's defensive play is good but that was not really the problem, the Pens lost cause they couldnt score mostly

He's still a much better goal scorer than Sutter and a superior special teams guy

And of the guys you listed only Crosby (who isn't 100%), Malkin, Neal and Kunitz are good

Edited by SMantzas

It doesn't matter that Pittsburgh got swept or even that they got to the 3rd round, really.  They iced an inferior team on purpose.  They didn't have enough defense throughout that roster and they didn't drive play in the playoffs or regular season - real hard to win a Cup that way.  Staal would've definitely helped in that regard.

A little off the current topic, but it looks like there is a decent (or any) effort on the Clarkson front.

via Craig Custance by RT from TG

"With free agency looming, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello still trying to get deal done with Clarkson. Didn't sound interested in trading rights."

I know Lou isn't the type to trade player's right at the draft

Edited by The Beaver

Interesting he-said-she-said. Friend works with a guy who went to school with Clarkson. And said Clarkson said he can't resign with the Devils because they can't afford him financially.

Grain of salts provided.

Eh. That is from Clarksons perspective. May be the Devils actually are not willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth. I don't see the Devils not being able to spend money but they need to spend it wisely.

when i say its going to really suck if he walks im not talking about the size of the contract he walks out on because we cant give him what he wants.. i mean its going to really suck losing a quality character player.. and who is going to replace him?

1.25 average for Enroth suggests Miller might remain in Buffalo as the starter.

Or rather, it doesn't suggest they're definitely looking to move him. 

Eh. I dunno. Enroth is not proven yet. He's getting his market value as a backup. The dude started 9 games this year. Plus, its a raise from 725K. 

They could easily trade Miller and have Enroth be the #1, or make another deal (UFA, trade, draft) for someone else. Why overpay for someone who may not be worth it? I don't think the deal Enroth got signifies anything in respect to Miller.

Edited by ghdi

when i say its going to really suck if he walks im not talking about the size of the contract he walks out on because we cant give him what he wants.. i mean its going to really suck losing a quality character player.. and who is going to replace him?

Agree. Losing Parise and Clarkson in a 1-year span from each other will ruin this team's roster. Lord knows Lou isn't going to suddenly use the cap space of these vacancies to sign a highly-skilled, high-profile player. If Clarkson goes, we'll probably grab an Arnott or Sullivan again...

Agree. Losing Parise and Clarkson in a 1-year span from each other will ruin this team's roster. Lord knows Lou isn't going to suddenly use the cap space of these vacancies to sign a highly-skilled, high-profile player. If Clarkson goes, we'll probably grab an Arnott or Sullivan again...

Ridiculous. The loss of David Clarkson or re-signing of him does not make or break this team.

Edited by ghdi

my worst fear is that with Zach walking, with Brodeur / Moose nearing retirement, who knows whats up with Elias and Clarkson. But if Clarkson walk... plus with the never ending debt rumours and us missing the playoffs last season, It's not really appealing for free agents... if we cant even re-sign ours, why would any other good players want to sign here? we'd have to overpay and thats why if we lose Clarkson is that we're not willing to overpay a little.

i mean nobody likes to overpay guys... But no teams in the bottom of the standing is laughing their ass off "hahaha well we might be last but at least we dont have ridiculous overpaid contracts!" at the end of the day you need guys to produce and we were already lacking since Zach and sykora's production left (dont get back to me on the sykora thing its useless but its still production gone) 

We absolutely need to ADD to what we had in term of production. we can't expect guys to step up all the time and overproduce

Ridiculous. The loss of David Clarkson or re-signing of him does not make or break this team.

No, but SterioDesign just took all the words out of my mouth. If we can't re-sign Clarkson, who the hell can we sign? Who the hell WILL we sign? Say what you will about Clarkson, and whether he's overpaid, but we can't just keep letting players producing numbers just walk all the time without adding.

We all know Lou's not going to make a trade for Bobby Ryan or try and sign Dupuis or Ribeiro as UFA. It's like the economy's relationship to consumer confidence; just like SterioDesign said, who will even want to entertain the idea of signing here when they see us not doing enough to keep our key players around?

As a fanbase, we're becoming so scared of the "boogeyman" (overpaying a few players here and there) that when UFA time comes, we're pretty much convincing ourselves that it's worth it to let everyone walk. And watch us fall down the standings.

No, but SterioDesign just took all the words out of my mouth. If we can't re-sign Clarkson, who the hell can we sign? Who the hell WILL we sign? Say what you will about Clarkson, and whether he's overpaid, but we can't just keep letting players producing numbers just walk all the time without adding.

We all know Lou's not going to make a trade for Bobby Ryan or try and sign Dupuis or Ribeiro as UFA. It's like the economy's relationship to consumer confidence; just like SterioDesign said, who will even want to entertain the idea of signing here when they see us not doing enough to keep our key players around?

As a fanbase, we're becoming so scared of the "boogeyman" (overpaying a few players here and there) that when UFA time comes, we're pretty much convincing ourselves that it's worth it to let everyone walk. And watch us fall down the standings.

Agreed!