Avery hits Thomas in the head with his stick

DaneykoIsGod

Looks like this was discussed in the OOT Scoreboard thread last night. For those who missed it, Sean Avery "accidentally" hit Tim Thomas in the back of the head during a TV timeout last night.

NESN feed:

MSG feed:

Unfortunately, all the YouTube clips from the MSG feed cut off just as Micheletti gets into his "arenas shouldn't show replays when someone gets away with a penalty" diatribe that M3 was talking in the OOT Scoreboard thread. During the NESN feed they mention Avery not answering the bell against David Clarkson during last week.

I don't care what uniform the guy is wearing, he's an embarassment to the game. If he can get suspended for saying "Sloppy seconds," I certainly hope he can get suspended for this.

Edit: Posted the wrong video, fixed now.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Why do Rangers fans call Crosby a disgrace to the NHL, but continue to defend Avery? I hate Crosby as much as the next guy, but to say Avery plays the game the right way, and Crosby doesn't, makes no sense. They're carbon copies of each other......except for that Crosby's talent absolutely whores Avery's talent.

I don't see how he could not get suspended for this. Clearly intentional. Didn't Campbell warn him about cleaning up his act for his return?

This guy is a disgrace to the game and, dare I say, New York sports.

I don't know how anybody can defend this. Can you imagine the whining and bitching from the rag fans if clarkson did this to the queen? When avery gets a 2 hander to the back of the head (you know its going to happen) its going to be another black eye to the league. avery is bad for hockey and he's a ticking time bomb for the sport.

he's not getting suspended for this. this will just pile on to his next suspension.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I have a feeling that, if Avery doesn't get any discipline for this, the fact that it's the final week of the regular season and the Rangers are in the thick of a playoff push will factor into the decision. Time of year has played into the NHL's disciplinary decision-making before.

It's a shame, too.

Why do Rangers fans call Crosby a disgrace to the NHL, but continue to defend Avery? I hate Crosby as much as the next guy, but to say Avery plays the game the right way, and Crosby doesn't, makes no sense. They're carbon copies of each other......except for that Crosby's talent absolutely whores Avery's talent.

EXACTLY! I still don't know why he was let back in the NHL...

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I have a feeling that, if Avery doesn't get any discipline for this, the fact that it's the final week of the regular season and the Rangers are in the thick of a playoff push will factor into the decision. Time of year has played into the NHL's disciplinary decision-making before.

It's a shame, too.

honestly, i don't think this play deserves a suspension. avery didn't swing his stick, he didn't hit him hard, and there's at least a 1% chance it was an accident. it's a dirty play, no doubt, and deserves to go on the ledger with all the other cheap crap avery has pulled, but it gets one game at the most.

honestly, i don't think this play deserves a suspension. avery didn't swing his stick, he didn't hit him hard, and there's at least a 1% chance it was an accident.

I agree with the first part of that...but there's zero chance it was an accident. Not that far up the ice and not with who's involved. If it was Zach, or even Chris Drury I'd say there's a 1% chance it was an accident.

It was basically a lovetap strictly to annoy Thomas and the Bruins, more fine-worthy than actual suspension-worthy.

EXACTLY! I still don't know why he was let back in the NHL...

Because of this, because he gets attention. He's the villain that gets exposure and everyone loves to hate.

Edited by Hasan4978

Stick to head should be ZERO toleration no matter how small. Add in the fact the hit was from behind AND after a whistle. Besides trying to get under Thomas' skin he is also taunting the league since he was so sternly warned about his behavior. Without even a mention that the issue was reviewed or discussed shows softness of the league or fear of the player's association.

If this is anyone else I think a fine would be in order.

This is Avery, this a$$hole has a history of this, he got sent to anger management and is still pulling this antics. He hasn't learned his lesson, he is just being dormant, its a shame if and when he gets little more then a slap on the wrist for it.

He deserves a 10 game suspension. This is pattern, this prick doesn't learn, why does he deserve 4th, 5th and 6th chance?

I doubt he even gets fined.

honestly, i don't think this play deserves a suspension. avery didn't swing his stick, he didn't hit him hard, and there's at least a 1% chance it was an accident. it's a dirty play, no doubt, and deserves to go on the ledger with all the other cheap crap avery has pulled, but it gets one game at the most.

And if anyone else in the league had said "Sloppy Seconds" I doubt he would have gotten the same treatment Avery did. The fact that he is who he is and that he's done what he's done HAS to be a factor here, no?

And if anyone else in the league had said "Sloppy Seconds" I doubt he would have gotten the same treatment Avery did. The fact that he is who he is and that he's done what he's done HAS to be a factor here, no?

the truth is that avery really hasn't done that much dirty stuff re: suspensions before. sure he makes a lot of illegal plays but his most outrageous behavior has usually come with his mouth, both on and off the ice.

Seriously? Crosby and Avery are in no way carbon copies of each other.