Steve Cangialosi

Dadds3424

I was watching they Olympics on MSNBC and I came back from making lunch and a soccer game between the women of France and Columbia had started. And who do I hear but Steve Cangialosi's voice. I did not believe it but according to Wikipedia he is covering soccer during the Olympics. I think hes doing a pretty good job. Maybe its the slower pace of soccer but he has done a great job building up plays, like Doc has always done.

I was watching they Olympics on MSNBC and I came back from making lunch and a soccer game between the women of France and Columbia had started. And who do I hear but Steve Cangialosi's voice. I did not believe it but according to Wikipedia he is covering soccer during the Olympics. I think hes doing a pretty good job. Maybe its the slower pace of soccer but he has done a great job building up plays, like Doc has always done.

He has been doing a great job doing play by play for the Red Bulls these past few years.

I still don't think his style translates well to soccer...especially since he uses the whole SHAAAHHHHTTTT SCARRRR

I think he builds up the play pretty well but he is so so when a goal is scored.

I don't know if the world is ready for Chico

:rofl:

Edited by Zubie#8

I love the Soccer annoucer that used to do Thrasher games, JP I believe?

He said goal instead of scores when he called hockey... "Kovalchuk steps in takes the shot, goal!" Very different and I loved it.

JP Dellacamera (sp?). He's very good at soccer.

Cangi was much better doing the PBP for the Devils last season. Starting to pronounce the word "score" after a goal rather than the Long Island/Staten Island "Scarr" was a big step up in my opinion.

JP Dellacamera (sp?). He's very good at soccer.

Cangi was much better doing the PBP for the Devils last season. Starting to pronounce the word "score" after a goal rather than the Long Island/Staten Island "Scarr" was a big step up in my opinion.

He already has two iconic moments calling both overtime goals against the Panthers, and he did great in both of them. I personally like the SCARR ;)

...and yes I knew he had a long last name, good soccer announcer.

Edited by Zubie#8

I fell asleep watching womens water polo which I was only watching becaue of doc. I think al trautwig does knicks games too. Sam rosen does another sport I'm pretty sure

sam rosen does football for fox on sundays (usually does games for western teams) and i think he used to call boxing at one point. besides the actual game of water polo, i dont like how the color guy keeps talking over doc and not letting him build up the play as he does in hockey

I don't watch a lot of soccer, but when I do I find myself yelling SHOOOOOTT!. What do soccer aficionados yell when someone is breaking in & has a scoring chance? It can't be SHOOT, can it? KICK sounds stupid too. Thx.

And I love the Devil connection, which he'd mention NJ during his calls.

I don't watch a lot of soccer, but when I do I find myself yelling SHOOOOOTT!. What do soccer aficionados yell when someone is breaking in & has a scoring chance? It can't be SHOOT, can it? KICK sounds stupid too. Thx.

have it...have a go...have a strike.

influenced from English commentary of course.

It's shoot.

BTW, I always wondered about the "SCORES!" thing. Is it simply an American thing and they shout that at soccer games too or is it just for hockey? What's wrong with "GOAL!"?

Greg Wyshynski (well, we know him from the forums, too) is also covering the Olympics, some of his tweets are a good laugh.

Steve does a great job with soccer, and with the Devils. Rosen is great at football and good at hockey when not doing Rangers games.

Doc is certainly out of him element in water polo. He does ask the color commentator all of the questions that us non-water polo fans would ask. He has a genuine curiosity about the game. Personally, I think he would have been better off doing field hockey. Most of the terminology and build-up is the same and less scoring allows for more legitimate excitement on each goal.

Us Devils fans have certainly been blessed. Gary Thorne, Doc, Cangi, Mike Miller.....all great to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'd say Doc is "out of his element" when it comes to water polo. This is his third Olympics calling the sport; I think it's more like he recognizes that most people don't know much about water polo and he sees himself as the viewers' advocate, asking the questions he thinks the viewers would ask. I noticed a few instances where he stopped himself to let the color guy/gal explain something, as if he understood what was going on but he realized the average person might not. It seems that most of these sports have actual broadcasters working the PBP and experts on the sports in question on color. Doc has done a good job of letting his partners shine when it's appropriate.

I agree, though, that NBC should have had Doc -- or another one of their hockey guys -- calling the field hockey. I looked up who they were using (I forget his name already) and his experience was mainly in football and basketball, though he also called some lacrosse in college.

I'm not sure I'd say Doc is "out of his element" when it comes to water polo. This is his third Olympics calling the sport; I think it's more like he recognizes that most people don't know much about water polo and he sees himself as the viewers' advocate, asking the questions he thinks the viewers would ask. I noticed a few instances where he stopped himself to let the color guy/gal explain something, as if he understood what was going on but he realized the average person might not. It seems that most of these sports have actual broadcasters working the PBP and experts on the sports in question on color. Doc has done a good job of letting his partners shine when it's appropriate.

I agree, though, that NBC should have had Doc -- or another one of their hockey guys -- calling the field hockey. I looked up who they were using (I forget his name already) and his experience was mainly in football and basketball, though he also called some lacrosse in college.

That's one of the biggest things I miss about Doc. He knows when to let the color person put their 2 cents in, but he sure as sh!t knew when to cut off Chico. Steve, I'm not sure whether it's a matter of lack of chemistry, experience or what, but he gives Chico a longer leash, so to speak, than Doc did and Chico can start going off on a tangent or say some read dumb sh!t sometimes. It makes me laugh sometimes, but others, I just want to tell Chico to stfu.