‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Trade bait. I know his value is sh!t right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tedenby is part of a package if Lou deals for a defenseman.

What we need is a top 6 offense guy and even more so if Parise walks. Tedenby's worth is at best right now a spare part thrown in as part of a larger deal.

Edited by DevsMan84

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($1.000m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,754,166; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,545,834

I think this is a good starting point.

$64 million? With a front-loaded Kovalchuk deal costing nearly $5M more than his cap hit? I can't see it. I don't know where the cuts are going to come, but I can't see it.

$64 million? With a front-loaded Kovalchuk deal costing nearly $5M more than his cap hit? I can't see it. I don't know where the cuts are going to come, but I can't see it.

If push comes to shove could they trade Zidlicky? I also think Fayne gets less than $3 million.

What we need is a top 6 offense guy and even more so if Parise walks. Tedenby's worth is at best right now a spare part thrown in as part of a larger deal.

Whatever trade is made if there is one and he's part of it, that's all I expect Tedenby to be- a throw in. I was just making the observation that I can see him being a small part of a bigger package if Lou makes a move, be it for a forward or a defenseman.

Zachs cap hit should not be higher then 7M.. Just not worth it long term. A lot of people here have rightly pointed out that Zach is a high energy type of player and will likely not age as well as someone who relies more on talent then work ethics. In fact, I even think 7M is a bit on the high side of his value. Is he really worth more money then Kopitar/Datsyuk/Sedins/Spezza/Iginla/Thornton??

I think 6.5 would be appropriate. Problem is, some other team will offer him 7.5 easily.

#1 - no way Zach doesn't wait until July 1st to see what offers are out there. That doesn't mean he will or will not re-sign, but it doesn't make sense not to wait 3 weeks.

#2 - if over 30+ guys like Richards, Briere, Marleau, Thornton, Heatley and Gaborik all have contracts/cap hits between $6.6 and $7.5, Zach's STARTING point is going to be $7.5 million. That's basically the market for a potential franchise guy who isn't even 28 yet.

#1 - no way Zach doesn't wait until July 1st to see what offers are out there. That doesn't mean he will or will not re-sign, but it doesn't make sense not to wait 3 weeks.

#2 - if over 30+ guys like Richards, Briere, Marleau, Thornton, Heatley and Gaborik all have contracts/cap hits between $6.6 and $7.5, Zach's STARTING point is going to be $7.5 million. That's basically the market for a potential franchise guy who isn't even 28 yet.

This is just more evidence that the GMs and owners have no clue.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario were franchise guys in that if Jimmy Joe played on a line with them they got 50 goals. They were just better than everybody else -- pure and simple.

I like Zack, I like his style of play, and I really hope that he plays for the Devils his entire career but I don't see him as what some other team will see him as and throw the franchise net worth at him.

I like Zack, I like his style of play, and I really hope that he plays for the Devils his entire career but I don't see him as what some other team will see him as and throw the franchise net worth at him.

I agree w/ this. If we offer Zach 7 and he walks, Im okay with that as long as he leaves the division and preferably the conference.

My philosophy concerning the older players is this: if there is a guy in the system that can offer you what the old vet is doing then I think its wrong to not bring them up. If you can't find a replacement for the old vet and he is willing to sign on and take a fair amount of money then I have no problem with him coming back. Is there a guy who can do as good or better than Sykora, if so then let him play, if not then keep Sykora.

I see this in baseball all of the time where a team will sign a vet to a large amount of money and he hits for nothing and just plays a decent defense. I'm sure a minor league guy can do that cheaper.

This is just more evidence that the GMs and owners have no clue.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario were franchise guys in that if Jimmy Joe played on a line with them they got 50 goals. They were just better than everybody else -- pure and simple.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux would almost certainly deserve maximum contracts if they played in this system. That's $14 million in this cap system.

People are balking at giving Zach Parise HALF the maximum and what several players get.

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($1.000m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,754,166; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,545,834

I think this is a good starting point.

i do not see the devils essentially bringing back this entire team save salvador. that just doesn't happen even if you have NO ufa's. triumph is correct that this is likely too high w/ a big kovalchuk year. i think at most, 2 of the four of carter, gionta, bernier, and ponikarovski re-sign. I also think marty's money is tough to peg because he's going to basically take what the team can afford. he will be anywhere from $2.5mm - $5mm based on what the team can do. he knows that he's basically getting paid by the devils for the rest of his life anyway in some role or another.

If push comes to shove could they trade Zidlicky? I also think Fayne gets less than $3 million.

they are not trading zidlicky and fayne might get less if lou plays hardball and takes him to arbitration but that would not be wise. 3/9 for fayne would be a superb deal. he is better than johnny oduya.

Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux would almost certainly deserve maximum contracts if they played in this system. That's $14 million in this cap system.

People are balking at giving Zach Parise HALF the maximum and what several players get.

I don't think that there is a guy in the league today who should earn half of what Gretzky and Lemieux would get.

to be fair, i don't think ANY player will ever get a true maximum contract without cap shenanigans so you have to put that in perspective. crosby is looking at a 10/90 deal and if his scrambled brain doesn't scare them, he's getting it. that's not a max/max deal. so i don't want to look at it in terms of "half the max".

you're right other players get that but let's be honest - what players with a cap hit of $7MM would you say are truly earning that:

YY1. Ovechkin, Alex » F WAS 26 13 $9,538,462

YY2. Malkin, Evgeni » F PIT 25 5 $8,700,000

YY3. Crosby, Sidney » F PIT 24 5 $8,700,000

NN4. Staal, Eric » F CAR 27 7 $8,250,000

NN5. Nash, Rick » F CLB 27 8 $7,800,000

NN6. Lecavalier, Vincent » F TBL 32 11 $7,727,273

NN7. Heatley, Dany » F MIN 31 6 $7,500,000

NN8. Gaborik, Marian » F NYR 30 5 $7,500,000

YY9. Stamkos, Steven » F TBL 22 5 $7,500,000

NN10. Gomez, Scott » F MTL 32 7 $7,357,143

NN11. Campbell, Brian » D FLA 33 8 $7,142,875

NN12. Vanek, Thomas » F BUF 28 7 $7,142,857

YM13. Spezza, Jason » F OTT 28 7 $7,000,000

NN14. Iginla, Jarome » F CGY 34 5 $7,000,000

YM15. Thornton, Joe » F SAN 32 3 $7,000,000

YY16. Doughty, Drew » D LAK 22 8 $7,000,000

NA17. Rinne, Pekka » G NAS 29 7 $7,000,000

YY18. Chara, Zdeno » D BOS 35 7 $6,916,667

The two letters before the number answer two questions:

1) are they worth the cap hit? Y/N

2) are they better than parise? Y/N/Maybe

There are 8 of 17 (ignore rinne) who are, in my opinion, worth that money and better than parise. there are also a ton of guys who make less than $7MM that are better than him too. But this is a free agent market so it's irrelevant as to what he will get. The point is what is he worth in the grand scheme based on everything else out there. i think the most fair deal for everyone where neither side feels like they're playing for too little or paying for not enough lies somewhere around 6/40. Obviously he will blow by that. My point is that his game is one that is based off a motor. He does not possess natural skills of Kovalchuk or Spezza or Crosby - that when a he loses a step, he's more than a 3rd liner. When Parise loses a step, he's going to be the equivalent of the best that Ponikarovski was this year. When Kovalchuk loses a step, he's going to be the guy from early in the playoffs who was still dangerous but at about 75% (not the guy in the finals who was gone and about 20%).

I think it was MacIsaac who saw concerns that Parise could see a drury like decline and that's scary to be on the hook for it.

Edited by sundstrom

I believe Parise will wait until July 1st and see what other teams offer him. I also don't see him rushing his decision and signing a contract the first day. He'll wait a few days and make up his mind. The other teams trying to sign him will wait for his decision so that's not a problem for Zach. I ultimately think he'll sign with the Devils. I'm feeling he'll sign something close to an 8 year $56 Million contract. Hopefully Lou gets it done! :koolaid:

When guys like Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are around 8-9M that effectively puts the max around that same number. Stamkos is at 7,5M.. He's lightyears ahead of Zach in talent and potential game-deciding plays. Granted; he'd probably have gotten 9M if he was a UFA this summer. :P

Realistically we're probably looking at 7M (or more) a year if we wanna keep him here, the question is just; Is he really worth that much? :o

Edited by njdevsftw

I believe Parise will wait until July 1st and see what other teams offer him. I also don't see him rushing his decision and signing a contract the first day. He'll wait a few days and make up his mind. The other teams trying to sign him will wait for his decision so that's not a problem for Zach. I ultimately think he'll sign with the Devils. I'm feeling he'll sign something close to an 8 year $56 Million contract. Hopefully Lou gets it done! :koolaid:

I wonder if he'll set it up like Richards and have the teams come to him to make their sales pitch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.