‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

-----back on topic-----

If Minnesota touches the 100m range, I don't care how much he wants to win, there's a big difference between 50-60m and 100m.

There really isn't. Either way you are set for life and your kids are set for life, if that's what you want. The extra 40 million is just to assure Parise of how good he really is, coming at the expense of Minnesota's chances to win (which are, themselves, not particularly good)

There really isn't. Either way you are set for life and your kids are set for life, if that's what you want. The extra 40 million is just to assure Parise of how good he really is, coming at the expense of Minnesota's chances to win (which are, themselves, not particularly good)

There is a HUGE difference between 50-60 mill and 100 mill. HUGE to the sum of 40M. I thought Zach would sign here for less (say we offered 8 years/60 mill and Minn offered 9 years 70 or something like that) But if the overall contract is 40 million or so different Zach will not stay. He wants to win, but 100 mill is nearly impossible to turn down for any athlete...

They basically gave that to Kovy (15 yrs/100 mill, 3 dummy years). After the Kovalchuk contract nothing with Parise would surprise me, especially with the projected massive cap jump pre-CBA fight.

I do not see the Devils having 2 players on their roster with $100 mill deals....

I also expect Kovy to be more productive than Zach will be in his mid 30's....

The difference between 100 mill and 60 mill is not as great as the difference between 40 mill and 0 dollars, but to say there's not much difference is overstating your point. I can't see Parise leaving 40 million on the table to stay in NJ.

No, but I don't see the Wild offering $100 million, either. That would give him one of the highest cap hits in the league.

Jake Gittes: How much are you worth? Noah Cross: I have no idea. How much do you want? Jake Gittes: I just wanna know what you're worth. Over 10 million? Noah Cross: Oh my, yes! Jake Gittes: Why are you doing it? How much better can you eat? What could you buy that you can't already afford? Noah Cross: The future, Mr. Gittes! The future.

Go to 2:05 of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMWkRrC7UY

Edited by Daniel

What Crosby gets shouldn't even come into the discussion, because well, he's not Crosby. If they want to pay him like he's Crosby, they're doomed.

They have to, because someone else will.

Daniel: I don't think that Zach Parise and Noah Cross are quite analogues, but I don't want to explain why without ruining Chinatown for people who haven't seen it.

12/96 is crazy. If that's what he gets, more power to him.

Daniel: I don't think that Zach Parise and Noah Cross are quite analogues, but I don't want to explain why without ruining Chinatown for people who haven't seen it.

Spoiler: The chick in the Crying Game is actually a man.

• Like 1

Spoiler: The chick in the Crying Game is actually a man.

No one cares about that movie anymore but Chinatown is a legitimate classic and I'd say the average age of the board is like 25 and hasn't seen it.

There's an element that the NHL has to be overjoyed about wrt the salary cap and that's guys taking less out of a legitimate desire to help their team. That's what would come into play.

Kovalchuk would've gotten more money with his Thrashers contract but he didn't sign one, and the Wild are basically the Thrashers with better attendance.

Kovalchuk would've gotten more money with his Thrashers contract but he didn't sign one, and the Wild are basically the Thrashers with better attendance.

Kovalchuk was apparently primarily concerned about Atlanta relocating.

Zach's from Minnesota and is building a house there. Obviously wasn't enough to get Peyton Manning to give the Dolphins more than a cup of coffee, but that's something to consider.

I think this crap about Parise signing in Minneosta because of the money he'd get and the fact that he is playing in his homestate in bullsh!t.

Look at how many players dedicate their careers to franchises to teams thousands of miles away from their home even though they'd probably had a nice contract there waiting for them.

Zach Parise is not signing with Minnesota. Not with New York. I would say its 60% NJ and 40% Detroit.

I think this crap about Parise signing in Minneosta because of the money he'd get and the fact that he is playing in his homestate in bullsh!t.

Look at how many players dedicate their careers to franchises to teams thousands of miles away from their home even though they'd probably had a nice contract there waiting for them.

Zach Parise is not signing with Minnesota. Not with New York. I would say its 60% NJ and 40% Detroit.

Most times you aren't getting potentially $20-40 million dollars more to play with your home team though, usually people talk about taking hometown discounts, not markups. As much as it's easy for us to say it shouldn't be about the money, when it's THAT much of a difference it's hard not to take that into account.

Most times you aren't getting potentially $20-40 million dollars more to play with your home team though, usually people talk about taking hometown discounts, not markups. As much as it's easy for us to say it shouldn't be about the money, when it's THAT much of a difference it's hard not to take that into account.

But Minnesota sucks. They suck out loud. They were TERRIBLE this year. Try to name their defenseman, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't name one who isn't Kurtis Foster. If they were in a non-hockey market there'd be a lot more talk about how bad they are, because the Canadian and big-city US media love to talk about a flagging franchise.

Zach could very well go there, but I think it's unlikely - assuming Parise's talk about the NYR to be genuine, I think it's really between Detroit and the Devils, with Minnesota bringing up the rear.

But Minnesota sucks. They suck out loud. They were TERRIBLE this year. Try to name their defenseman, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't name one who isn't Kurtis Foster. If they were in a non-hockey market there'd be a lot more talk about how bad they are, because the Canadian and big-city US media love to talk about a flagging franchise.

Zach could very well go there, but I think it's unlikely - assuming Parise's talk about the NYR to be genuine, I think it's really between Detroit and the Devils, with Minnesota bringing up the rear.

LA's a name that's been popping up lately too. (Not just by you know who).

I don't think I can lol...I know they had Zanon but they traded him at the deadline I think? I only remember Clayton Stoner cause of the dump-in goal last year but don't know if he's still on their team or in the minors.

The Rangers sucked for a million years and still attracted every free agent known to man (yeah I know most famous arena in the world lol), how bad a team is isn't relevant to me when talking about FA's unless you're bad and in a ****hole like the Isles are, or out in the middle of nowhere with an average temperature of 20 below like Edmonton. Those teams are the exception to the most money trumps all rule.

I'd find it amusing if LA tried to skimp on Kovy and offer him a $5.3 million cap hit then blew the bank out for Zach two years later after winning a Cup, and with other big-salary players on the team. Can't really picture him pulling a Hossa, especially assuming dollars are similar.

I don't think I can lol...I know they had Zanon but they traded him at the deadline I think? I only remember Clayton Stoner cause of the dump-in goal last year but don't know if he's still on their team or in the minors.

The Rangers sucked for a million years and still attracted every free agent known to man (yeah I know most famous arena in the world lol), how bad a team is isn't relevant to me when talking about FA's unless you're bad and in a ****hole like the Isles are, or out in the middle of nowhere with an average temperature of 20 below like Edmonton. Those teams are the exception to the most money trumps all rule.

The funny thing about the missing-the-playoff Rangers, is that everyone just looooooooooved playing there...in front of the sellout crowds, in the Garden, in New York...too bad winning wasn't terribly important to those check-cashers (no one seemed terribly angry about the lack of on-ice success)...it seemed like those players were more interested in some fantasy idea of what playing hockey for the Rangers meant...

I'm tempted to write something big about this because it just doesn't make sense. Yes, they have the cap room NOW, but it's a tight squeeze. Then you have to figure that this team has to keep Kopitar, Brown, Parise, Doughty, Richards, Carter, and Quick long-term - Kopitar's at 6.7, Brown is at 3.6 NOW, but he should be paid at least $7M when he goes UFA, Parise will get $7M, Doughty is at $7M, Richards and Carter are at $5M, and Quick will probably settle between 7 and 8M long-term. That's over $40M to 7 players, leaving you with $25-30M to go to the remaining 13. That's difficult to do the way the NHL is shaping up now.

If they can make it work, good for them, but I don't see it. They would probably have to get rid of both Brown and Quick when they went UFA.

As for the Rangers, they were not good, but they at least had name players and a chance of success (really, what undermined them most was goaltending in most of those years). And the market then just wasn't the same. And who did they get who were stars, really? They signed Theo Fleury (a star, but NHL GMs had to be aware of his substance abuse issues), Bobby Holik, who's prideful enough to want to play in New York, and... who else? They traded for Lindros and Bure and Kovalev. The rest of the guys they kept signing weren't very good players. The market was totally different, the league was a lot different. Apples and oranges.

Edited by Triumph

The thing with LA is that they are locked into big contracts with Kopitar, Richards, Carter, and Doughty. Plus, Quick is due for a nice fat raise next year and Brown the year after (smaller raise, but a raise). They can fit Zach I guess, but their depth will plummet after the first line.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.