Kovy out 2-4 weeks-Now on IR-

ghdi

That's really really debatable, especially without Zubrus the next few games still.

Brodeur's going to have to be a little better and they'll have to get some bounces.  They're playing outstanding defensive hockey, and that gets you to overtimes and gets you loser points.  Hard to see the loss of Kovalchuk changing that.  The PP will be worse, though.

This will really test the character of this team.

They kinda folded without Marty, but hopefully they develop Ottawa's mentality this time around.

Bad goaltending.  Yes, the offense was a bit sub-par, but a few of those games were lost due to Hedberg.

Elias, Clarkson, Henrique appear to be settling in plus there's Lokti and Zubes should be back.

I'm a bit concerned about Loktionov maintaining his play in Kovy's absence, but we'll see.

I'm a bit concerned about Loktionov maintaining his play in Kovy's absence, but we'll see.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did better without him.  I mean obviously he's not going to keep scoring a goal every other game, but he'll have more responsibilities with the puck at ES and on the power play.

ND5:  I think Zajac is playing way better lately.

Edited by Triumph

Now would be the time for Travis Zajac to start earning his contract.

LOL, this is what I'm talking about.   Zajac was doing the same damn thing Kovy was doing 5 on 5.    And BTW, his contract starts next season.

That's really really debatable, especially without Zubrus the next few games still.

The East is hideous.   Who's running away from this pack?    I mean the Islanders were legitimately in the conversation and then fell off.   Really the only team that can run in from behind is Buffalo, since the SE teams counteract each other (if Washington gets in they'll dump one of the other two to get there).

It wouldn't surprise me if he did better without him.  I mean obviously he's not going to keep scoring a goal every other game, but he'll have more responsibilities with the puck at ES and on the power play.

ND5:  I think Zajac is playing way better lately.

I'm inclined to agree that he's been playing much better, but I'd really like to start seeing some results from him. I feel we've all been fairly patient with him going 3/4 of this shortened season putting up 4th line numbers, but it's time for him to at least start producing like a second liner.

Btw, I didn't get a chance to watch last night's game where I've heard he put up 2 assists, so maybe he's starting to get hot, but I guess my point is that he really needs to stay hot at this point to make up for a fairly uneventful season to this point.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

What I'd like to see without Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Bernier-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Kostopoulos

Pesonen-Sestito-Gionta

w/ Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Bernier

Pesonen-Gionta-Kostopoulos

But I bet Barch is in on Monday.

edit:  max, Buffalo is atrocious.  I have no clue how they are winning games.  The Rangers are real good, though.  Philadelphia is the best of a bad lot behind us though.

Edited by Triumph

What I'd like to see without Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Bernier-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Kostopoulos

Pesonen-Sestito-Gionta

w/ Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Bernier

Pesonen-Gionta-Kostopoulos

But I bet Barch is in on Monday.

edit:  max, Buffalo is atrocious.  I have no clue how they are winning games.  The Rangers are real good, though.  Philadelphia is the best of a bad lot behind us though.

Yeah, the Rangers are involved.   I have it as 9 playing for 8.   Washington could be a wild card, but they'll probably take out one of their division mates if they get in.   If 3 of those teams get in, the Conference is historically bad this year.

The reason I include Buffalo as a long-shot is because it's possible they could pass us without taking someone out.   But 5 from one division is a stretch too.

Another thing this year is that games in hand aren't as nice as they normally would be.   If you're sitting with 2 or 3 games in hand, it means you're getting put through the grinder.   I like our schedule alot, not so much in who they play (it's tougher than the March teams), but that it looks like a normal schedule and you get off days and you can practice and such.    The first 3 weeks of March were a nightmare.