AHL to test hybrid no-touch icing rule at request of NHL

Satans Hockey

Didn't see this posted. If they like how this goes in the AHL then there is a chance we could see it in the NHL during the 2013-14 season. I don't want to see it happen though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399480

The test of the rule is at the request of the NHL and will be in effect until Nov. 19, 2012, at which time its continued use will be determined by the AHL's board of governors, the league announced Thursday.

http://theahl.com/board-of-governors-meeting-concludes-p178164

Video Review

The Board has approved the use of a video goal-review system for AHL games beginning with the 2012-13 season.

Edited by Satans Hockey

They've changed too much about the game since the lockout. The trapezoid, the delay of game...

at least there's no 2-line pass these days. That killed odd-man rushes. I even heard at some time in the past they were looking at changing the goal dimensions.:rolleyes:

They've changed too much about the game since the lockout. The trapezoid, the delay of game...

at least there's no 2-line pass these days. That killed odd-man rushes. I even heard at some time in the past they were looking at changing the goal dimensions.:rolleyes:

That's not a crazy idea (changing the size of the goal) think about how big goalies have gotten since the days of Allen Bester and Darren Pang...plus the massive equipment size. Increasing the size of the goal isn't unfair.

But in the meantime, let's take a machete to Lundqvists equipment. The NHL needs to be more pro active in getting unnecessary fluff out of goalie gear. Who would ever guess that Lundqvist is an inch shorter and 21 lbs LIGHTER than brodeur?

That's not a crazy idea (changing the size of the goal) think about how big goalies have gotten since the days of Allen Bester and Darren Pang...plus the massive equipment size. Increasing the size of the goal isn't unfair.

But in the meantime, let's take a machete to Lundqvists equipment. The NHL needs to be more pro active in getting unnecessary fluff out of goalie gear. Who would ever guess that Lundqvist is an inch shorter and 21 lbs LIGHTER than brodeur?

Lundqvist is the same size as Hedberg. :doh1:

Injuries on icings are extremely rare...this is not something that should ever be implemented on the NHL level. Leave things as they are

You're right, they are rare. The problem is, the injuries tend to be pretty brutal - you can ask Kurtis Foster or Taylor Fedun about that. Hybrid icing is way better than no-touch icing and even though there will be bad calls, there are bad calls on regular icing also.

You're right, they are rare. The problem is, the injuries tend to be pretty brutal - you can ask Kurtis Foster or Taylor Fedun about that. Hybrid icing is way better than no-touch icing and even though there will be bad calls, there are bad calls on regular icing also.

I just do not like it, many great plays or good opportunities are generated from a player hustling down to negate the icing. It takes away a huge essence of the game.

I say stick with the current format where you cannot hit on an icing. Of course you are going to have incidents of players falling down but this is a huge part of game that I do want to see changed. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Zubie#8

+1

As an aside, I think this rule is actually much more interesting and beneficial:

A player who "places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck" will be assessed a minor penalty.

In regards to hybrid icing, you can still get a lot of the great hustle plays, it's not no touch icing.

As an aside, I think this rule is actually much more interesting and beneficial:

In regards to hybrid icing, you can still get a lot of the great hustle plays, it's not no touch icing.

Hmmm, I have to see it more in games, only saw a handle examples in that NHL experimental camp or whatever its called.

The injuries with the current rules are rare but they're life-changing. It's just not needed. I've seen the hybrid over the last couple of years while covering college hockey and it takes nothing away from "the race". It just changes the finish line.

I don't mind this. Hopefully it'll keep the game moving faster.

I'm also in favor of a slightly larger goal and a slightly larger ice surface.

That will cost some money and arena issues. The bigger goal is interesting though since the goalie pads are becoming astronomical.

So is this going to be comparable to the get-to-the-sideline-as-the-ball-goes-out scrambles seen in lacrosse? 'cause those do reward hustle, even if it ends up being a judgmental call on which player was closest.

The NHL doesn't trust it's officals for judgement calls on delay of game penalties, why would they here?

The NHL doesn't trust it's officals for judgement calls on delay of game penalties, why would they here?

Sure it does - the NHL gives officials to call delay of game penalties when the net is intentionally knocked off. And they get it right, oh, 20% of the time.

That will cost some money and arena issues. The bigger goal is interesting though since the goalie pads are becoming astronomical.

Yeah they'd probably have to lose the front row in every arena. I'm guessing they'd only add a couple of feet on around so it might not be that big of an issue. GM's and owners would have to vote on that.

I don't think they need bigger nets, I think that is too big of a change to the fundamentals of the sport. As far as I know, the nets have always been 6 X 4. They just need to have equipment size restrictions that are actually useful.

As for the icing rule, I'm in favor of the hybrid rule. I like the races for the puck and I like reducing serious injuries so the hybrid rule works for me.