NFL Week 3!!

CRASHER

People have a short-term goddamn memory :P

THIS is my evidence on what I mean:

http://www.aolnews.c...roversial-call/

Haven't you noticed that not a single person with any officiating expertise has said anything other than, "That call was butchered"? Even the NFL didn't say, "That was the right call." They only said that replay should not have overturned it. Those are not the same thing.

But the issue isn't when the catch is completed, it's whether or not it was a simultaneous catch, and you can clearly see Jennings is holding the ball before Tate is.

It IS the issue...it's not a "catch" until BOTH feet are on the ground, by time the Jennings has BOTH feet on the ground, Tate has his hands all over the ball, like I keep saying, everyone whining about it is missing the point :P

It IS the issue...it's not a "catch" until BOTH feet are on the ground, by time the Jennings has BOTH feet on the ground, Tate has his hands all over the ball, like I keep saying, everyone whining about it is missing the point :P

I guess the entire country and former officials/officiating supervisors who have spoken out on the topic are clueless, then.....

That's what I was thinking too, but Devils Dose, who is or was a football ref, says for it to be a simultaneous catch, his feet don't need to be on the ground.

There is no point in which Jennings does not have control of the football, so the only way for it to be a touchdown is if you say it's a simultaneous catch and the tie goes to the passing team. For it to be a simultaneous catch though, both players need to grab the ball out of the air at the same time, it's not about touching the ground to make it a completed catch. Jennings grabs the ball in the air, he becomes the one in control of it, now the only way Tate can make it a touchdown is if he rips the ball out of his hands before Jennings hits the ground. He doesn't do that, he gets his hands in there but Jennings is still holding onto the ball too, and since Jennings was holding the ball first, once he lands on the ground it's an interception.

And of course, talks with the refs broke down again. You wonder now what it's going to take, a couple of these guys pulling a Tim Donaghy?

I don't understand why the NFL needs to destroy itself to enact changes, things have been status quo with the refs for a hundred years while football has become a $10 billion industry.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And now the refs union says they're not close at all. Wouldn't shock me if putting out the word they were close was another NFL pr gambit to make the refs look bad when no deal happened :rant:

The refs union might be squeezing the league for every last penny, considering they have 'em desperate and bent over a barrel. Maybe they're counting on 1 more disastrous week

the league know the nation is drunkenly hooked on football, but once words like "boycott" and "take a knee every down in protest" start getting thrown around...there ears perk up. I'd be SHOCKED if this isn't resolved by at the latest next Thursday...because it's soon going to start hitting the owners in their pocketbooks.

Edited by '7'

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8428027

Belicheat fined $50,000.00 for not keeping his hands to himself. One of the few times I agree with Crasher on this.. should've been suspended for 1 game, but whatever. This'll do.

Kraft has a lot of pull, no way would he ever allow this. Now he's just going to simply funnel the money to Belicheat who essentially gets off scot free

The refs union might be squeezing the league for every last penny, considering they have 'em desperate and bent over a barrel. Maybe they're counting on 1 more disastrous week

It's possible, but it wouldn't be smart of them to overplay their hand. If people start thinking the refs are being unreasonable they're going to start looking at the games through CRASHER lenses and support the Foot Locker refs.

I don't trust the weasels in charge of the NFL till I see the professional refs back.

the league know the nation is drunkenly hooked on football, but once words like "boycott" and "take a knee every down in protest" start getting thrown around...there ears perk up. I'd be SHOCKED if this isn't resolved by at the latest next Thursday...because it's soon going to start hitting the owners in their pocketbooks.

I agree. The owners greed and stupidity put the Refs in a great leverage situation. I think the "boycott" worked because it was all over twitter and several groups started popping up on Facebook that when from 0 to 300 members in a matter of hours.

Goodell is a PR guy first and foremost, so it must have struck a nerve that the fan base was starting to rebel.

Hopefully, it ends before 8pm tomorrow so I can watch my Ravens.

I agree. The owners greed and stupidity put the Refs in a great leverage situation. I think the "boycott" worked because it was all over twitter and several groups started popping up on Facebook that when from 0 to 300 members in a matter of hours.

Goodell is a PR guy first and foremost, so it must have struck a nerve that the fan base was starting to rebel.

Hopefully, it ends before 8pm tomorrow so I can watch my Ravens.

Well, even if it does end tomorrow, replacements will be working that game. No way they can get the regular guys on the field by tomorrow night.

Sounds like a deal is done:

Jim Daopoulos, a long-time official and supervisor of officials, joined NBC this season. And he tells PFT that the NFL and NFL Referees Association have signed a new deal.

A crew is being assembled to work Thursday night’s game between the Browns and Ravens. Then, on Friday, the officials will travel to Dallas to retrieve their equipment and receive their game assignments for Sunday and Monday, with the same crews working together as last year.

Details are still not clear, but Daopoulos says that the much-debated pension issue was resolved with the current defined-benefit plan remaining in place for five years before switching to a 401(k)-style defined contribution plan.

Also, it’s believed that the deal will cover five more years before this one, which means that we’ll potentially be doing this again in 2018.

UPDATE 10:56 p.m. ET: Daopoulos has provided some more facts. The officials will vote on the deal in Dallas on Friday, at which time it will become final. They’ll then participate in a clinic, and head on Saturday to the game sites. Also, the officials will receive a pay raise of four percent, with 12 guaranteed game checks this year and 19 in subsequent years (including preseason). As to the checks they’ve missed this year, the officials will divvy up $2.5 million.

http://profootballta...a-deal-is-done/

Hopefully this turns out to be a true...

Edited by nmigliore

Yay! I can watch the Ravens tonight!!!

At least your team came out of this fiasco relatively unscathed. Not that I blame the refs for the Pats being 1-2...that's a result of the Genius not having answers yet again on D.

At least your team came out of this fiasco relatively unscathed. Not that I blame the refs for the Pats being 1-2...that's a result of the Genius not having answers yet again on D.

In fairness, I thought we got a lot of calls against you that I don't think a professional ref would have called.

I don't take a lot of stock in this win, and The Genius should be using this as motiviational tool with his young team.

And as far as whether the league or refs should 'win', I hardly care. Let them keep their pension and increase their pay in exchange for making them full-time and adding more refs. If you can't reach a compromise, agree to binding arbitration for crying out loud. I find it impossible to believe that a $10 billion league can't reach an EQUITABLE agreement and have the 'best' officials (whatever you want to say about it, there's no disputing this) ref games instead of guys who don't belong on the field and for all we know are more worried about their fantasy teams than getting the call right. Hell, they're collecting enough fine money to pay the refs just with that :P

Funny how the deal wound up to being pretty close to something it took me five minutes to write. The refs got a pay increase and keep their pensions till the next negotiation, the league gets its taxi squad/accountability.

Pitiful it took the league five months to come to this deal that me and my zero legal background came up with.

In fairness, I thought we got a lot of calls against you that I don't think a professional ref would have called.

I don't take a lot of stock in this win, and The Genius should be using this as motiviational tool with his young team.

It's a huge win though, regardless of how it came...tiebreakers, conference win, etc.

Even with all the kookiness, the Pats were up by 9 deep into the fourth. They couldn't close, and yet another QB made it look easy in driving down the field to win the game. Maybe Flacco is really raising his play to the next level, but I've seen that against the Pats' D a lot the past several seasons...it'd be nice to see them pick up Brady once in a while. To their credit, they took full blame for the loss, saying the offense did its job, but they didn't do theirs.