Off season Prediction

caron14

Because this fanbase doesn't beat up the goalies enough already...

It actually doesn't, considering the segment of the fanbase that think Brodeur's still a capable starter.

I'd take M.A. Fleury if Pittsburgh picked up a bunch of his contract, which I don't think they would do.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you wanna never have an awful goalie in the playoffs for 5 million? Me neither. Aside from the year they lost to DET in the finals, he's been average to ECHL level in the playoffs and nothing more. Unless they take Salvador back, no 

This is one of those instances where I'm totally on board with the stat types that will tell you that playoff performance isn't much of an indicator of anything.  This is the sort of thinking that leads teams to give up on good goalies, but more often overpay for bad ones.

To be honest, I can't tell you all that much about MAF, or really any other goalie that doesn't play locally.  However, if his recent whole body of work, including the regular season, is good, that's what you should go on.

So would you say once we have our prospects up, we'll go to being a trap team? Or will we keep the up tempo forecheck and let our D Men take chances and generate offense?

I'm hoping it's the former, since I find it to be a style fitting to the team, hard working, would only work if everyone is playing the system right. It displays the quintessential Devils discipline, which makes our team greater than the sum of it's parts. I think that's the idea though. All the top tier d prospects we have, Severson, Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas, seem like well rounded guys who will be able to chip in on offense while maintaining defensive responsibilities, with Gelinas probably being the biggest ? for his defensive play, though Severson is still in juniors, but had a pretty good year and it appears many are thinking he was a real steal for us. All those guys seem to be the types that can play in all 3 zones, so I'm hoping we can remake our defensive corps from the inside and have all 6 guys be mobile, if not big point producers.

It actually doesn't, considering the segment of the fanbase that think Brodeur's still a capable starter.

I'd take M.A. Fleury if Pittsburgh picked up a bunch of his contract, which I don't think they would do.

I know contrarianism is where it's at, but come on. Pretty much everyone here knows Brodeur is done as a starter, and that Moose can't even be a reliable back up. Sure, there's a few that think he should still play 70 games, but they are definitely in the minority by this point. I'd say most of us are in agreement that Marty needs to end it after this contract. I was hoping he'd ride off into the sunset after the finals run. I felt it'd be a good time to go out, but oh well. I guess if someone offers you 9 million bucks for 2 years, you take it.

When I say people ride the goalies here, I'm referring to the people who call a goal on a rebound of a 3 on 0 a 'softy'.

I know contrarianism is where it's at, but come on. Pretty much everyone here knows Brodeur is done as a starter, and that Moose can't even be a reliable back up. Sure, there's a few that think he should still play 70 games, but they are definitely in the minority by this point. I'd say most of us are in agreement that Marty needs to end it after this contract. I was hoping he'd ride off into the sunset after the finals run. I felt it'd be a good time to go out, but oh well. I guess if someone offers you 9 million bucks for 2 years, you take it.

When I say people ride the goalies here, I'm referring to the people who call a goal on a rebound of a 3 on 0 a 'softy'.

I think it's just that we're resigned to him being the starter till he's gone and retired dumb as it is so that's why we don't complain that much about him as compared to Salvador who's had one good run. I don't even bother complaining about Brodeur as much as I wish they'd get someone else. 

I think it's hard to know what we'd do since we've never really had an underrated goalie to beat up on. Like the Leafs fans w/ Reimer they beat him up a lot (at least the dumb ones) while the smart fans like the PPP guys defended him and wanted to die when the team wanted Kipper's awful ass to start. We haven't had that so who knows how we'd react compared to other fans 

1.) C. Lazar- @ 14th (for a 4th round pick-Columbus) "longshot" -Robert Hagg

2.) Resign -elias, zubie, hopefully clarkie

3.) Bozak, Dupuis ?

4.) Volchenkov (if anyone at all)

Would any of you trade the top 10 pick for a bonafide top 6 player? I'm talking someone better then Horton...like a Bobby Ryan or someone.

its an interesting proposition. I would certainly entertain it, mainly because I've been a proponent of Ryan for a long time. I think he's got a ton of talent and is still very young. He's definitely the player that we're missing

After you said that, I felt like doing some reading on Ryan. I actually came across an article and had no idea about the situation with his father as Bobby wa growing up. It's crazy, kid has been through a lot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1151489/2/index.htm

Edited by Onddeck

its an interesting proposition. I would certainly entertain it, mainly because I've been a proponent of Ryan for a long time. I think he's got a ton of talent and is still very young. He's definitely the player that we're missing

After you said that, I felt like doing some reading on Ryan. I actually came across an article and had no idea about the situation with his father as Bobby wa growing up. It's crazy, kid has been through a lot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1151489/2/index.htm

he's not signed long term so nooopppee. If you could get someone like Sam Gagner I guess I'd be more likely to think about it 

After you said that, I felt like doing some reading on Ryan. I actually came across an article and had no idea about the situation with his father as Bobby wa growing up. It's crazy, kid has been through a lot.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1151489/2/index.htm

he's not signed long term so nooopppee. If you could get someone like Sam Gagner I guess I'd be more likely to think about it

I'm sure any deal would be contingent on working out an extension. Also, with the new CBA the team who currently owns a players rights has the biggest advantage.

Basically I wouldn't worry about getting Ryan locked up long term so long as he doesn't mind playing here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sigh - you can't just negotiate an extension with a player.  Ryan is signed for 2 more years, which means he can only be signed to an extension after this coming season.

Sam Gagner is a UFA in 2014.

Pass on both.  Devils would need a very young player to make this sort of deal.