congrats to the 2013-14 Champs, the Kings

msweet

that's debatable. The 2012 Kings had Quick in super ownage mode for more than just a random game here or there. They have Gaborik now, but that 2012 team destroyed everyone and we were the only team to get past 5. That team would've taken out anaheim faster than 7 and wouldn't have gone down 3-0 to SJ

On paper maybe this year's team maybe better but 2012's Kings team played like monsters for the most part

Edited by roomtemp

@Russostrib
Imagine being a Rangers fan and paying $800 for entry.

Cody D ‏@codoll53  57m
@Russostrib 800? When I looked all decent tickets were well over a grand on stub hub.

‏@brodeur552  56m

@Russostrib 800? more like 1500

Aeolus ‏@nycbeerparty  55m
@Russostrib @ScottyHockey someone paid $2900 each for mine bahahah.

Edited by Neb00rs

Thanks MadDog, that link is gold, especially these two posts (#Lundqvisting):

856074568.gif

856080909.gif

Bpn748BCYAA1CcB.jpg

Eric Cooney @EricCooney
Follow
#LAKings
1:17 PM - 8 Jun 2014

BplDiy9IIAEvNKs.jpg

Dr. Feelgood @DrfeelgoodNj
Follow
#Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting #Lundqvisting

• Like 1

i am not sure if this statistic is true but supposedly everytime the rangers have made it to the finals its always been with a new coach

Not accurate. 

SCF appearances for the Rags:

1927-28 - Result: won Cup - Coach Lester Patrick was in his second year as coach of the team

1928-29 - Result: lost in Finals - Lester Patrick still the coach

1931-32 - Result: lost in Finals - Lester Patrick still the coach

1932-33 - Result: won Cup - Lester Patrick still the coach

1936-37 - Result: lost in Finals - Lester Patrick still the coach

1939-40 - Result: won Cup - Frank Boucher in his first year as coach

1949-50 - Result: lost in Finals - Lynn Patrick was in his second year as coach of the team

1971-72 - Result: lost in Finals - Emile Francis was in his seventh year as coach of the team

1978-79 - Result: lost in Finals - Fred Shero in his first year as coach

1993-94 - Result: won Cup - Mike Keenan in his first year as coach

2013-14 - Result: ??????? - Alain Vigneault in his first year as coach

So, the Rangers have been to the SCF eleven times, and out of those eleven, 4 times were with a new coach. So 4/11. However, the last three times have been with a new coach.

Edited by Neb00rs

Originally Posted by mjdlight viewpost.gif
Excellent point by point summation. I will expand on the Devils point a bit.

In a weird way I forgive Devils fans, because their attacks are motivated by the fact that their team's very existence has always been somewhat marginal in New Jersey, even after three Cups, even after getting a brand new arena in Newark. The more successful the Rangers are, the more their team's very existence becomes more precarious. Heck, the whole reason the New Jersey Devils exist is that MSG management in the early 80s decided to stay at MSG after getting the City to cave and give them a perpetual property tax exception.

If the City refused to do that, its almost certain the Rangers and Knicks would have followed the Giants and Jets to East Rutherford. The Colorado Rockies were brought in to fill dates at the brand spanking Brendan Byrne Arena.

The Devils are about to enter a very interesting/potentially dangerous part of their history. The Marty Era is all but over. Lou has clearly lost a few MPH off his fastball. Their farm system is average. What's going to happen if they enter into a true rebuilding period for several seasons? How viable is the Prudential Center going to be with the Devils drawing 10k-12k a night (if lucky), no NBA tenant, and fierce competition on the concert circuit from Barclays?

Add in a competitive, likable Rangers team and who knows, maybe a competitive Islanders team in Brooklyn, and where does that leave the Devils?

Their rich cable contract will protect them from outright relocation, but could they enter into a period of some serious belt tightening? I could see it, yes.

So yeah, we are about to eat a lot of poo from Devils fans, no question about it. But its always helpful to remember the real motivation behind their trash talking.

This is my response from HF.

Devils fan here, not here to trample on you as I'm sure many of you were down on us when it was 3-0 so it's possible to push to 5 or 6. Your attendance would be 12,000 too if you didn't have all the suits buying up tons of tickets. There's barely anymore Rangers fans in this part of the area then there are Devils fans. This city doesn't care about hockey, this Rangerstown thing is a sham. I'm a huge hockey fan and live and work in the city. No one cares.

You can see a lot of things, including our stellar young goaltender, great young defense. Sure we have issues, but who doesn't, clearly you do.

We are very happy at this series because we're sick of hearing about 1994 every ten minutes all the time, how MSG replays those games ad nauseum all the time, and how this would be the greatest team in the history of hockey if they won this year. We are happy because we love to hear about how THE KING this, and THE KING that. We are happy because this King despite being an amazing goalie, has not even a win in the Stanley Cup final, let alone 4, 8 or even 12. We are happy because people like Larry Brooks who crap on our organization all the time gets to write a column like this morning which sounds like an 8 year old throwing a tempur tantrum because he didn't get his Stanley Cup column. We are happy because next year 1994 turns into a chant for Devils fans. We've won 3 since then, we're sick of hearing it and can't wait to turn into against you guys. We are happy because if there's a chance to chant "You got swept" just like you chanted at us a few years ago "You can't beat us" oh boy will it be fun.

Edited by HellOnICE

I believe Brooksie picked the Rangers in 6 or 7 games.  He based it all on that the Rangers have destiny on their side.

If they lose the next game I am really seriously considering tweeting him and saying "I guess the Rags were destined to lose this series.  What happened Brooksie?"

I believe Brooksie picked the Rangers in 6 or 7 games.  He based it all on that the Rangers have destiny on their side.

If they lose the next game I am really seriously considering tweeting him and saying "I guess the Rags were destined to lose this series.  What happened Brooksie?"

I don't see how one can say destiny when they win series in 7 7 and 6. Now the 2012 Kings that was destiny. This was a team hanging on against a weak East and a Pitt team that self imploded.Maybe if the Rags went through the West I could see it

Edited by roomtemp

Im waiting for the final horn to sound in the kings 4th win before i breakout my sore winner act.  I dont want bad kharma or mojo inacting one last MSL Divine intervention and miraculously winning 4 straight final games. we would never, NEVER , EVER hear the end of it. it would curse us for 25 years

now, that said, if the kings pull out this next one, Im carrying a broom with me EVERYWHERE I GO FOR THE NEXT WEEK. a blue and red broom

I hope it's a sweep, that would mean the last Tri-state team to win a game in the Cup finals is still the Devils.

I hope its a sweep because it reminds me the Devils have never been swept. (in a 7 game series if you want to go and include the Rockies and Scouts)

I don't see how one can say destiny when they win series in 7 7 and 6. Now the 2012 Kings that was destiny. This was a team hanging on against a weak East and a Pitt team that self imploded.Maybe if the Rags went through the West I could see it

Meh, "teams of destiny" don't always make it easy on themselves.  Hell, the '86 Mets were a "team of destiny", with a lot of compelling individual stories, but their playoff run was rough...it took them six games and a marathon extra-inning match in Game 6 just to get past Houston (and Mike Scott was making them crazy...they would've faced him again in Game 7 if they hadn't won Game 6), and of course, against Boston they lost the first two games and were down 3 games to 2, and were two runs down in Game 6 and one strike away from losing the World Series, when Boston basically imploded, first allowing the game to be tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch, then of course, Bill Buckner's error allowing the winning run to score.  The Mets then fell behind 3-0 in Game 7 before storming back to win. 

Sometimes teams of destiny are the ones that keep overcoming obstacles to win. 

Meh, "teams of destiny" don't always make it easy on themselves.  Hell, the '86 Mets were a "team of destiny", with a lot of compelling individual stories, but their playoff run was rough...it took them six games and a marathon extra-inning match in Game 6 just to get past Houston (and Mike Scott was making them crazy...they would've faced him again in Game 7 if they hadn't won Game 6), and of course, against Boston they lost the first two games and were down 3 games to 2, and were two runs down in Game 6 and one strike away from losing the World Series, when Boston basically imploded, first allowing the game to be tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch, then of course, Bill Buckner's error allowing the winning run to score.  The Mets then fell behind 3-0 in Game 7 before storming back to win. 

Sometimes teams of destiny are the ones that keep overcoming obstacles to win. 

Usually a lot of times these teams are christened as "teams of destiny" after they have completed their run.  These NY writers were already crowning the Rangers as such before the Finals even started.