Kovy out 2-4 weeks-Now on IR-

ghdi

I always liked Zajac on the point. I HATE kovy on the point

Kovy on the point is great. If it weren't so predictably about setting him up for the bombs away I think the PP would be better. I also wish he would draw the block attempt to get in closer.

Kovy will be missed. However I agree with a lot of you that our power play is very predictable and we don't score enough.. Maybe having him out will spark a new trend. They need to change the point of attack from outside to more down low to middle.. I would suspect we will see this alteration with his one timer threat not there

I always liked Zajac on the point. I HATE kovy on the point

Zajac on the point was actually good for the five minutes they let him do it for during the nadir of the MacLean error.  Then when Lemaire came back, that ended that.  

It's hard to have him on the point when he's the only guy that can take faceoffs, but they can just keep cycling around after the faceoff until he gets there the way they do anyway :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

there's no way to sugarcoat that this is an enormous loss. he plays the most ES, all the PP and at least 1/2 the PK.

as for zubrus return - he's two weeks away at best.

re: lines - i think this is what we'll see Monday night:

elias-zajac-clarkson

henrique-loktionov-d'agostini

carter-gionta-bernier

pesonen-sestito-kostopolous

the zajac line is hitting a stride - they're going to ride it.

CBGB is a known quantity - they're going to keep it.

they need that 3rd line (really a 2nd line but by 3rd i mean a cohesive 3rd) and they're keeping 14 and 21 together.

what would it take, do you think, to get jagr from dallas? i don't love giving up more picks - i would prefer it something like urbom got it done.

there's no way to sugarcoat that this is an enormous loss. he plays the most ES, all the PP and at least 1/2 the PK.

as for zubrus return - he's two weeks away at best.

re: lines - i think this is what we'll see Monday night:

elias-zajac-clarkson

henrique-loktionov-d'agostini

carter-gionta-bernier

pesonen-sestito-kostopolous

the zajac line is hitting a stride - they're going to ride it.

CBGB is a known quantity - they're going to keep it.

they need that 3rd line (really a 2nd line but by 3rd i mean a cohesive 3rd) and they're keeping 14 and 21 together.

what would it take, do you think, to get jagr from dallas? i don't love giving up more picks - i would prefer it something like urbom got it done.

Lou's probably not going to do much of anything. I don't know if Dallas is game either. They've still got a postseason shot and Jagr has been one of their better performers.

Dallas has San Jose, Nashville, and yes, even Columbus of all teams breathing down their necks for that 8 spot.  They may hold onto Jagr, but the fact they dealt Morrow already suggests they see the writing on the wall and are cashing out to retool for a year or two further down the road here.

Dallas has San Jose, Nashville, and yes, even Columbus of all teams breathing down their necks for that 8 spot.  They may hold onto Jagr, but the fact they dealt Morrow already suggests they see the writing on the wall and are cashing out to retool for a year or two further down the road here.

I don't agree.  I think yeah they dealt Morrow, but they got a guy back who Nieuwendyk has implied might join the team immediately. They would almost certainly get no such player in a Jagr deal.

As for the Devils and Jagr, c'mon, they've made 3 deals for forwards already.  I like Jagr, but the price for a guy like that is going to be high for what the expected performance is.

We'd be lucky to get a 4th or 5th rounder for Tallinder.  He's an older defenseman on a significant contract for one more year.

The thing that really is torturous about this is having such a deep team if everyone was healthy this year. 

What kind of luck does it take to have 8 NHL defensemen and be super thin at forward while continuing to lose forwards to injury? I mean, we were praying a D got hurt so we could at least get some consistency.

The thing that really is torturous about this is having such a deep team if everyone was healthy this year. 

What kind of luck does it take to have 8 NHL defensemen and be super thin at forward while continuing to lose forwards to injury? I mean, we were praying a D got hurt so we could at least get some consistency.

I really can't complain about the team's luck.  Brodeur is 40 years old, it isn't a surprise that he would be injured - he hasn't gotten through a season without an injury since 2010.  Zubrus and Ponikarovsky are well into their 30s, Tallinder too.  All in all, most of the key players have stayed healthy.  And thinking back to last year when the Devils got through the playoffs with only Tallinder and Josefson as players who missed the majority of the postseason - hard to get upset.

Plus there's simply more forwards than defensemen.  It's more likely that they get hurt.

I was praying they'd trade a D for forward help because of that very problem.  Even after a trade, one injury to a D wouldn't be killer.  Heck, our ninth D option now is probably better than some of what teams are actually icing.  But we were already lacking and without depth at forward as it was.

The Devils picked up an entire 3rd line for basically nothing.  Their depth chart is:

LW:  Elias, Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Carter, Pesonen

C:  Zajac, Henrique, Loktionov, Gionta, Josefson

RW:  Kovalchuk, Clarkson, D'Agostini, Bernier, Kostopoulos

w/ Matteau as a possible taxi squad sort of guy when his season's over, Barch who's a goon who doesn't fall all over himself, and Sestito for a non-goon who does fall all over himself.  

If they want to trade a defender in the off-season to recoup one of these picks, fine, but I think they've done quite well to avoid having to do that.

you cant hit on all of your first rounders, especially in the 20s but the unproductivity of JJ and Tedy hurts a bit. you would have hoped to get lucky and have at least one of them turn into a second liner nhl forward.  over all we're doing OK for a rebuilding period!  and who'd a thunk marty would be playing this well 2-1/2 years ago!