Lou has started talking with clarkson

2ELIAS6

I'd be surprised if Clarkson re-signs without taking a look at the open market. This will probably be his best chance at a big payday in his career and I'd imagine most guys in that position would want to see all the options.

I do hope Lou can get a deal done at some point with Clarkson though. He's my favorite type of player - can score, throw the body, fight, and be a dick to the opposition.

This. I don't see why he wouldn't want to test the market unless LL throws a retarded offer. 

I'd be surprised if Clarkson re-signs without taking a look at the open market. This will probably be his best chance at a big payday in his career and I'd imagine most guys in that position would want to see all the options.

I do hope Lou can get a deal done at some point with Clarkson though. He's my favorite type of player - can score, throw the body, fight, and be a dick to the opposition.

Plenty of guys have passed on seeing what's available on the open market.  If they like where they are and they think the money's right, there's no need to go to free agency.

As much as I love Patty, this is a good strategy.  Clarkson will garner a lot of attention from many teams and he is due for a raise.  That being said, in our favor, is that most teams are looking to cut salary because of the salary cap decrease this year.  If this were any other year, Clarkson is gone with big money being thrown at him.  I think we can keep him for the next three-five years at a reasonable salary increase.  Then Patty and they better sign Harold.

Lou will/should put a ceiling on what Clarkie gets paid, just like he did with Gionta/Martin. Clarkson is a third line player, that does play pp. He's not worth 5 mil a year. If another team is willing to do it

bye bye

also, for what it's worth, Clarkie went undrafted and, definately owes Lou for saving his career. Yes,

a "hometown " discount is in order.

Doubt this ill happen however.

Damned if Lou does, damned if Lou doesn't. Who's more likely to leave the team, Clarkson or Elias?

The obvious answer is Clarkson, so why wouldn't he start talks with Clarkson a bit earlier? If you're Lou, you're at least a bit more confident Elias will come back with the money we're able to offer him.

To all you guys giving him crap for not talking to Elias yet: since when do all of our backroom offseason dealings get leaked to the media? For all we know, the deal with Elias has been signed already but not released yet. We don't know anything, we should be used to that by now; no use criticizing Lou for stuff we don't know. Criticizing him after a deal is made/not made is fine but the average fan has no idea what's going on in his world on a day to day basis.

For all we know, this only leaked in the first place by Clarkson's agent to get Toronto (only recently eliminated) to take notice and put him in their offseason plans.

Edited by DJ Eco

Elias's deal is real easy to figure out.  Between 2 and 3 years, between what, 4.5 and 6M per year?  He's 37 so the idea of him getting a 4th year seems a bit insane even if his play has hardly declined in the last 5 years.

Clarkson's deal could go anywhere from 4 to 7 years and from anywhere between 3.8M to 5M and even beyond that.  You have no idea what the market will value Clarkson at, he's a bit of a unique specimen, people around the league greatly overrate him if media types are any indication.

Now if you didn't have an internal budget, this wouldn't be an issue, you could sign either guy first, but I think you'd want to get Clarkson set before you got Elias - that way you could give any extra money you saved off Clarkson's deal (if you structured it differently, etc.) to Elias to keep him happy.

Elias's deal is real easy to figure out.  Between 2 and 3 years, between what, 4.5 and 6M per year?  He's 37 so the idea of him getting a 4th year seems a bit insane even if his play has hardly declined in the last 5 years.

Clarkson's deal could go anywhere from 4 to 7 years and from anywhere between 3.8M to 5M and even beyond that.  You have no idea what the market will value Clarkson at, he's a bit of a unique specimen, people around the league greatly overrate him if media types are any indication.

Now if you didn't have an internal budget, this wouldn't be an issue, you could sign either guy first, but I think you'd want to get Clarkson set before you got Elias - that way you could give any extra money you saved off Clarkson's deal (if you structured it differently, etc.) to Elias to keep him happy.

^^^^On the money.