Chelios speaks up on Bettman...again

Rock

Chelios speaks up on Bettman...again

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130194

TSN.ca Staff with National Post files

7/11/2005 3:24:14 PM

After two weeks of hearing players' shots at NHL Players' Association Executive Director Bob Goodenow, veteran defenceman Chris Chelios has once again offered up some choice words - for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

"For a guy who has done such a horrible job running a league, it's a miracle he still has a job," Chelios told the National Post.

"And if he's patting himself on the back for getting a cap, every sport's got a cap. I mean, big deal, he's the last one to get it and he's run our league into the ground."

"It's not so much the deal," he continued. "It's all about the lies and separating the players from the league and making us look bad because we have to defend ourselves. And that alone should be just cause for him to get the gas after this is all done."

Chelios, 43, is no stranger to shots at the commissioner. During the 1994 lockout, he suggested that Bettman should be worried about the well-being of his family, as a crazed fan might take things into his own hands.

Chelios played part of last season for the Motor City Mechanics of the United Hockey League and toyed with the idea of trying out for the Greek Olympic bobsled team for the 2006 Winter Games at Turin, Italy.

Utterly laughable. Baseball does NOT have a cap, they have a luxury tax. Football already had a cap and basketball was a year or so away from getting a cap by the time Bettman took over the NHL so it's not exactly all his fault the NHL was 'last' in getting a cap.

Chelios should just retire already, or better yet go back to being a scab and taking someone else's job.

Edited by Hasan4978

"And if he's patting himself on the back for getting a cap, every sport's got a cap. I mean, big deal, he's the last one to get it and he's run our league into the ground."

This truly shows Chelios' lack of intelligence. If every sport has a cap, and if it's no big deal, then why didn't the NHLPA offer to institute a cap back in October or November? Odds are they wouldn't have lost a season.

Chelios is the poster boy for one of those brain dead players who drank too much of Bob's kool aid.

That's a nice cap baseball has. What's the Yankees' payroll again? $250 mil?

That's like losing an armwrestling match and saying "well, I was tired, anyway."

The cap is no big deal? What the FARK have you guys been fighting for over the last year?

God! Retire and rid us all of your running mouth.

"For a guy who has done such a horrible job running a league, it's a miracle he still has a job," Chelios told the National Post.

"It's not so much the deal," he continued. "It's all about the lies and separating the players from the league and making us look bad because we have to defend ourselves. And that alone should be just cause for him to get the gas after this is all done."

:clap::clap::clap: brilliant!!!

at least someone out there isn't interested in the kiss and make up stage

Edited by '7'

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:   brilliant!!!

at least someone out there isn't interested in the kiss and make up stage

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and with this '7', you've officially entered GetReal territory for writing the most asinine statements ever. i am now thoroughly convinced that you've taken this ridiculously blinded goodenow perspective simply to see how much you could rile everyone else up. before this whole labor issue, you were one of the most knowledgeable and articulate posters on this board.

i can't wait for there to be hockey without labor contention so that you can return to the type of poster that you used to be.

Bettman has done an awesome job throughout this lockout. His hockey sense stinks like rotten eggs, which is about what we knew when he became commish. He's a businessman who knows dick all about hockey.

There is some additional context to this, which was reported in the Daily News that day but which we, and TSN apparently, missed. I'm not sure whether it should, or does, make any difference. I know that I think it makes Chelios seem like more of an idiot to me. I provide the full NY Daily News article from that day with the particular lines I am reffering to bolded and I invite you to make up your own minds.

http://www.nydailynews.com/07-12-2005/spor...0p-279627c.html

NHL players' animosity grows

BY JOHN DELLAPINA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The fear that the NHL lockout will even delay next season is all but gone. The loathing, on the other hand, remains plentiful.

With the respective point men and their attorneys still hammering out the final details of the new CBA, the NHL's most powerful owners convened yesterday in New York to get an initial briefing on the document that will govern the league over the next six years. They figured to be mostly delighted with what Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Co. had wrought: an economic model with a salary cap ($39 million per team) tied to a percentage (54 this year) of league revenues.

On the players' side, there is considerable hostility in anticipation of a rank-and-file meeting and ratification vote on a CBA that will dramatically reduce their earning power. Some of that anger has been directed in recent weeks at NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow, whom some players have accused of misleading them into a fight they couldn't win.

However, 10 years after making a veiled threat against the commissioner and his family, Detroit defenseman Chris Chelios still is gunning for Bettman.

"For a guy who has done such a horrible job running a league, it's a miracle he still has a job," Chelios told Canada's National Post yesterday. "And if he's patting himself on the back for getting a cap, every sport's got a cap. I mean, big deal, he's the last one to get it and he's run our league into the ground."

Criticizing Bettman for the state of the NHL heading into the lockout that began last September, Chelios said the commissioner should be fired once the CBA is signed.

"It's not so much the deal," Chelios said. "It's all about the lies and separating the players from the league and making us look bad because we have to defend ourselves."

Then, using language that is certain to offend, especially given Bettman's Jewish heritage, Chelios was quoted as saying: "That alone should be just cause for him to get the gas after this is all done."

Just when it will be done - though a matter of when rather than if - remains uncertain. Negotiators still were going at it late into yesterday evening - their 81st session since Bettman canceled the 2004-05 season Feb. 16.

Originally published on July 12, 2005

I heard this the other day on PTI (an ESPN show) and forgot to post it, shame on me.

But REAL shame on Chelios. There's no excuse for that crap. The guys on PTI made a fair point, if Chelios were a football, baseball or basketball player he would have been made out to be Satan.

Edited by Hasan4978

He's a jackass Sue! There aren't enough words in the dictionary that can describe him.

I respect Chelios the player but how he portrayed himself during this mess is an absolute disgrace.

And for that offensive comment, he should be fined significantly by the league and suspended. That goes TOO FAR.

I completely forgot Bettman was Jewish, so that gas part seems pretty stupid now. I'm hoping he did mean fired by gas...still a very poor choice of words

actually I'm shocked more hasn't been made of this.

But REAL shame on Chelios.  There's no excuse for that crap.  The guys on PTI made a fair point, if Chelios were a football, baseball or basketball player he would have been made out to be Satan.

The reason's simple, really: If he was a football, baseball or basketball player, people would actually be paying attention to what he said. Since he's a hockey player, no one cares.

I'm confused, is he talking about Bettmen or Goodnow here?

just trying to get my post count above 25 a year

Joe