Portugal Day

newarkdev01

So I have mixed feelings on this but I have always loved getting out for this...even with the rediculous traffic that it causes me.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/portuguese-american_clubs_rest.html

I am always up for some Sangria and Sun.

Last year my girlfriend and I were on a train coming back from NYC at a little after 1AM on the evening/day the Portugal Day happened. In the car behind us and the one behind that, there were these kids mostly between the ages of 15 and 20 who were completely drunk and fighting and harassing other people. Literally, there must of been at least 80 of them doing this and the crew had a lot of trouble maintaing order. This was on the Raritan valley line and the first stop was our stop, Union. We got off of there and as we were on the platform going down the steps, the train did not leave and coming up the steps were about 20 uniformed police officers making their way up the steps with cuffs in hand lol. As my gf and I got into my car, and driving our way out of the station, we saw another 2 police cruisers round the corner to the station along with a paddywagon.

So my advice for Portugal day is to not act like an idiot and get drunk lol.

Last year my girlfriend and I were on a train coming back from NYC at a little after 1AM on the evening/day the Portugal Day happened. In the car behind us and the one behind that, there were these kids mostly between the ages of 15 and 20 who were completely drunk and fighting and harassing other people. Literally, there must of been at least 80 of them doing this and the crew had a lot of trouble maintaing order. This was on the Raritan valley line and the first stop was our stop, Union. We got off of there and as we were on the platform going down the steps, the train did not leave and coming up the steps were about 20 uniformed police officers making their way up the steps with cuffs in hand lol. As my gf and I got into my car, and driving our way out of the station, we saw another 2 police cruisers round the corner to the station along with a paddywagon.

So my advice for Portugal day is to not act like an idiot and get drunk lol.

I think Portugal day in the past has been like a gigantic streetfestival/concert so the drunken stupidity was almost a given. I know the older groups of Portugese wanted it to be more cultural and more of a reflection of the Ironbound and Portugal they new. I find alot of the complaints to be similar to ones i have heard in Irish, Polish and Italian communities when it comes to generational preferences and differences. I am interested to see how this portugal day is without the gignatic street festival to accompany it, especially with World Cup.