GDT: Reid Boucher called up vs MTL 7pm @ ROCK

DevilMinder

If you dont walk away with points you don't make the playoffs, did you not watch last year? Playing well needs to equate to winning games. Obviously 2 games don't make or break the season, these were very disheartening losses to say the least. We played well enough to get at least 3, probably deserved 4, we came away with 1.

Relax... We're tied for a playoff spot right now against teams that have not been playing anywhere near as well or consistently as we have.

I'm not worried one bit. By the way they've played in the past 22 games, I have no doubt they'll be in the playoffs.

I generally agree and I always say I'm optimistic but you can't get around the fact that these are points we should be picking up. God forbid someone like jagr gets injured and/or our play does take a slump in the future then we could be in real trouble and looking back in games like these... Edited by dmann422

Yep, it sucked.  When you get the 'what should've been the game-winning goal' at 18:54, it's a real letdown that Schneider gets beaten 29 seconds later...

That's the reason why I'm down on #35 today....It's not blaming him for the loss but just being really bummed that he has yet to get over the hump to start taking the # 1 job

The slump we're all feeling after last night is so different from his recent numbers  (3-1-2, 1.28 GAA, .945 SV% in last 6 GPI)  which are terrific.

So yeah, he's playing great and it will eventually translate into our expectations from last June's Draft Day...

Edited by BlueSkirt

Yep, it sucked.  When you get the 'what should've been the game-winning goal' at 18:54, it's a real letdown that Schneider gets beaten 29 seconds later...

That's the reason why I'm down on #35 today....It's not blaming him for the loss but just being really bummed that he has yet to get over the hump to start taking the # 1 job

He's really not getting the breaks right now. Can't blame him for the goals, at least in regulation, deflections are tough to stop. Agree that I really would like to see him take the #1 spot and keep it.

This isn't really fair.  For one, Schneider got hurt.  For another, Marty got hot, and I thought the Devils were right to ride him out.  That delayed Schneider grabbing the #1 job, through no real fault of his own. 

Now, it looks like he's going to.  Not sure how you get down on him about yesterday, unless you want to pick on him about the shootout (not the route I'm going). 

The numbers are there:  1.81 GAA, .925 save%.  He's gotten some lousy goal support. 

I'm really surprised - Olivier Bouchard over at Eyes on the Prize, the SBNation blog for the Canadiens, has this game with 27 scoring chances for NJ, 13 for Montreal (Alas it's in French, but from what I can gather Olivier is quite impressed with the Devils overall).  I did not think this game was that lopsided at all.

Edited by Triumph

I'm really surprised - Olivier Bouchard over at Eyes on the Prize, the SBNation blog for the Canadiens, has this game with 27 scoring chances for NJ, 13 for Montreal (Alas it's in French, but from what I can gather Olivier is quite impressed with the Devils overall).  I did not think this game was that lopsided at all.

I thought it was. The shot totals were close but I thought we had a ton more scoring chances, which I'm not pleased to see is true.

The Devils powerplay seemed a lot more effective at generating decent scoring chances than the Canadians'.

well geez Tri, just ask your best bud frenchy here for translation.

he's mostly saying that most Habs players we're overwhelm and having bad games. Even if they did something that led to a goal that for the rest of the games they were mostly bad and that the Devils dominated them by a wide margin.

well geez Tri, just ask your best bud frenchy here for translation.

he's mostly saying that most Habs players we're overwhelm and having bad games. Even if they did something that led to a goal that for the rest of the games they were mostly bad and that the Devils dominated them by a wide margin.

Haha, I know French well enough to get the gist of what he's saying.  He said that Markov and Subban being even against NJ shows what a good team NJ really is.

I really thought Emelin struggled in these two games.  I was impressed with him in the past but the Devils really made life tough on him.

Pretty much how the final 2 minutes went last night...

Stage%20Collapse.gif

OK this had me laugh really loud here at work! Got a few ppl checkin on me now, hahahaahaha!!!!!

and yes this perfectly sums up those last 2 minutes. I was just done high fiving the people around me when I saw Elias get tripped and that third Hab goal go in....sucked the life right out!

quick question...

for Boucher's goal in SO... first game, first SO, scored but team lost...do you think he kept the puck or something? somewhat anticlimatic and the goal doesnt really count so

I believe I saw on TG's blog a fan at the game saw Ryder get the puck for his first assist but idk about the so goal, it's not really a goal.

Plus maybe the devils organization would want to keep that puck since it's the first SO goal they scored in nearly a year.

OK this had me laugh really loud here at work! Got a few ppl checkin on me now, hahahaahaha!!!!!

and yes this perfectly sums up those last 2 minutes. I was just done high fiving the people around me when I saw Elias get tripped and that third Hab goal go in....sucked the life right out!

Haha glad you enjoyed that.. Saw someone post it as just a random funny video, but to me it seemed like a great visual metaphor

I believe I saw on TG's blog a fan at the game saw Ryder get the puck for his first assist but idk about the so goal, it's not really a goal.

Plus maybe the devils organization would want to keep that puck since it's the first SO goal they scored in nearly a year.

LOL. Yeah, I doubt Boucher cared to grab the SO goal puck. 1st NHL assist and point is a big one though.

This isn't really fair.  For one, Schneider got hurt.  For another, Marty got hot, and I thought the Devils were right to ride him out.  That delayed Schneider grabbing the #1 job, through no real fault of his own. 

Now, it looks like he's going to.  Not sure how you get down on him about yesterday, unless you want to pick on him about the shootout (not the route I'm going). 

The numbers are there:  1.81 GAA, .925 save%.  He's gotten some lousy goal support. 

you misread,  I'm down on him today because we/he weren't able to hold the lead for 1:06.....

I'm bummed in general because events like last night that "may" have some (even me at times !) thinking that he's not yet ready for # 1, so that is why I included him recent numbers to show how sometimes perception & reality are different.  

Although I did literally LOL last night when he tried in Brodeurian-fashion to make an outlet pass...only have his stick come up way over his head all while twirling during his follow-through !

I'm bummed in general because events like last night that "may" have some (even me at times !) thinking that he's not yet ready for # 1, so that is why I included him recent numbers to show how sometimes perception & reality are different.

Completely agree. As much as we don't want there to be a goalie controversy this year, there totally is. Every single game, there's people on either side of the coin who've made it very personal.

You have the people that somehow (irrationally) feel threatened by the prospect of Schneider, a relative outsider, taking Marty's job in his (possibly) last year and running with it, so they're waiting for every possible slip-up to assert their opinion that "Marty's better".

And on the other hand you have people with unreasonable expectations of Schneider who use every win or stat to try and kick Marty down a peg.

And then there's people in the middle who just want DeBoer to put a winning team on the ice, which inevitably will use Marty's veteran clutch at some points in the season, and Schneider's totally off the charts skill at others. I'm thrilled with the goalie situation this year, we have two elite goaltenders and I don't feel like we're a very vulnerable team on most nights, like I may have felt last year.

Completely agree. As much as we don't want there to be a goalie controversy this year, there totally is. Every single game, there's people on either side of the coin who've made it very personal.

You have the people that somehow (irrationally) feel threatened by the prospect of Schneider, a relative outsider, taking Marty's job in his (possibly) last year and running with it, so they're waiting for every possible slip-up to assert their opinion that "Marty's better".

And on the other hand you have people with unreasonable expectations of Schneider who use every win or stat to try and kick Marty down a peg.

And then there's people in the middle who just want DeBoer to put a winning team on the ice, which inevitably will use Marty's veteran clutch at some points in the season, and Schneider's totally off the charts skill at others. I'm thrilled with the goalie situation this year, we have two elite goaltenders and I don't feel like we're a very vulnerable team on most nights, like I may have felt last year.

I think the thing that makes it difficult for the Devils is that the locker room more than likely has people from both schools of thought as well. It's very delicate, but the end has to be Cory starting regularly and signed long term.

Not that good, very lucky.

I'm not convinced about the Canadiens. I've seen enough of their games in the past few weeks and don't see them being dangerous as the season progresses. So much luck, a la Toronto Maple Leafs and NY Islanders in October. 

I think Devils, Flyers, and Capitals are better than their place in the standings suggest. I think teams like Tampa Bay and Montreal will start to plummet soon. We just gotta keep doing what we're doing, things will go our way soon.

canadiens are not that bad and we match up well with them, in terms of good games.

agreed on second part i use goals for and against stat and is usually close to correct.

a team up top with more goals against is worse than a lower team with more goals for.

tends to be true.

I'm pretty blown away by Ottawa's GA and GF, wow... They could really use some defense...

They could, but they are a budget team. They are really struggling getting the puck out of their own zone. They lost Gonchar and hoped either Wiercioch or Corvo would give them something. It didn't work out. Add in the fact that Methot took a major step back and Cowen has been atrocious...it's been tough.

They could, but they are a budget team. They are really struggling getting the puck out of their own zone. They lost Gonchar and hoped either Wiercioch or Corvo would give them something. It didn't work out. Add in the fact that Methot took a major step back and Cowen has been atrocious...it's been tough.

Cowen is a revelation.  It's almost like teams just think that high draft picks are automatically good at defense.  To think they almost signed him for 8 years this off-season.