Pavel Zacha Signs ELC

GoArmySports

Praying they just give him the 9 games and he goes back to Sarnia. Literally nothing to gain keeping him in NJ

Agreed. I know it's not the end of the world if they burn the first year of his ELC but I'd rather not. Plus he's only played 42 OHL games, I'd rather see him get some more development time. Hopefully he stays healthy and avoids suspensions this year.

I'm indecisive on whether I want him on the team. On the one hand, he needs to develop. On the other, he's probably our best center the second he joins the team. Part of me feels that while development is great, it's not like we have other guys to play his position at the level he is expected to play at.

So I'm uncertain.

If he is better than competition... Let him play!

That's that simple... I don't care about the clock of his right... It's not as important as it used to be in our situation

If you plan on the Devils being any good in 3-4-5 years then yeah, managing ELCs and UFA clocks is very important.

9 games, I don't care about.  He shouldn't spend more than 39 games on the roster unless he's an average NHL forward or better.

The one concern I have with sending him back to Sarnia is that just from watching highlight film and that whole game someone put on youtube is that he's clearly very talented but also clearly has a lot of garbage habits that aren't going to work in the NHL.  So I can see why NJ would consider leaving him up here all year just to try to get him out of those, assuming he's good enough at everything else to be considered for the NHL roster.

9 games, I don't care about.  He shouldn't spend more than 39 games on the roster unless he's an average NHL forward or better.

The one concern I have with sending him back to Sarnia is that just from watching highlight film and that whole game someone put on youtube is that he's clearly very talented but also clearly has a lot of garbage habits that aren't going to work in the NHL.  So I can see why NJ would consider leaving him up here all year just to try to get him out of those, assuming he's good enough at everything else to be considered for the NHL roster.

What habits are they?

Not passing the puck, relying too much on 1 on 1 skills.  1 on 1 skills rarely work on NHL D unless you are backing them off with speed.

Wonder how much of that was due to him trying to make a splash in both his draft year and first season in North America. 

A lot of people feel he maybe a 50 point player throughout his career like Landeskog or Barkov. There is one key aspect to Zacha's game that will nearly guarantee him 10G20P on the PP each year and that is his shot, mainly his onetimer. From all the video I have seen it appears his one timer is very transferable instantly to the NHL. So even if he is a safe 40 point ES player with the PP he should be pushing over 60 points most seasons.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=771898

Look where a shot took Peter Sykora, now think if Sykora was 3 inches taller, 30 pounds heavier. His skating is likely as good as Sykora's as well. This kid will be a waste at center however.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Just diving through the stats one thing that Zacha and Spears have going for them is lack of ice time. Zacha was between 3rd/2nd line minutes with Sarnia last season in junior. Spears had roughly 2nd line minutes. Another thing Zacha didn't have going for him is 2nd assists, he had twice as many 1st assists as second. if both are around the 23-24 minute mark this year I expect both to be near the leaders in the league in points. 

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

A lot of people feel he maybe a 50 point player throughout his career like Landeskog or Barkov. There is one key aspect to Zacha's game that will nearly guarantee him 10G20P on the PP each year and that is his shot, mainly his onetimer. From all the video I have seen it appears his one timer is very transferable instantly to the NHL. So even if he is a safe 40 point ES player with the PP he should be pushing over 60 points most seasons.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=771898

Look where a shot took Peter Sykora, now think if Sykora was 3 inches taller, 30 pounds heavier. His skating is likely as good as Sykora's as well. This kid will be a waste at center however.

Petr Sykora was way more than just a shot though.  He had hockey sense with the puck and he was a good skater.  I think Zacha is a good skater, but hockey sense is what's going to make or break his NHL career.

Just diving through the stats one thing that Zacha and Spears have going for them is lack of ice time. Zacha was between 3rd/2nd line minutes with Sarnia last season in junior. Spears had roughly 2nd line minutes. Another thing Zacha didn't have going for him is 2nd assists, he had twice as many 1st assists as second. if both are around the 23-24 minute mark this year I expect both to be near the leaders in the league in points. 

I don't know why coming out of playing in a men's league that Zacha would get so little ice time.  Speers, yes, SSM traded for players at the end of last season and he was knocked down the depth chart - I think Speers is a great pick and I do expect him to score 90 points next season, he's on a good team.