Who was the First Devil & Best Devil You Met in Person?

grcenter47

Alas, one of the Devils' first all-stars. Isn't he deceased or greatly debilitated now? I forget. :(

Oh yeah, first: Bob Lorimer

Marini retired in 1985 after an injury where he lost his right eye.

SPORTS PEOPLE

Marini Loses an Eye

Published: December 13, 1985

Hector Marini, the 27-year-old right wing who was the first Devils player to be selected to the National Hockey League All-Star Team, lost his left eye in surgery Tuesday at the Midwest Eye Institute at Indianapolis Methodist Hospital. The eye was stuck by a shot from a teammate of Marini's as they played Dec. 5 for the Fort Wayne Komets, a Devils farm team in the International Hockey League, against the Indianapolis Checkers. The team physician for the Checkers, Dr. Joseph Randolph, said Dr. Stephen Johnson removed the eye because Marini had lost all sight in it.

Source

btw I forgot to name Best Devil. Anyone who knows me knows my choice would always be Timex. :D

Edited by StarDew

Well, I haven't met many, but I was once catching autographs after a practice and Marty was coming out. There was a family there... father, 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter.

Father and son were ecstatic about getting their hats and jersey's autographed and chatting with Brodeur. The daughter got her stuff signed too, while the father and son continued to talk to Marty. The daughter then piped up and said "Hey! Dad! You said we'd just get the guy to sign our stuff and we'd go for ice cream!" Brodeur said something along the lines of "I may be a half decent goaltender, but there's no way that I can trump ice cream." He then asked the girl what flavour she was gonna get... So even though the kid kinda dissed him, he was jovial about it and really, really good with the kids.

Actually got to meet Johnny Mac when I was something like 12 years old (19 years ago) when he came to sign autographs and answer questions at Taylor Park in Millburn. I asked him if believed the Penguins dumped the last few games to draft Mario. Unsurprisingly, he dodged the question, and just said the Devils got a good player in Kirk Muller with the next pick.

First Devil: Lou Lamoriello

I met him at the Johhny Mac press conference. He motioned for me and my friend Greg to come over to talk to him. I also got to eat cookies and drink soda with him. Great Guy!

First Devil Player: Patrick Elias

Best Devil Met: Andy Greene

He liked me because we talked about college football instead of me asking him for an autograph or picture or something.

Well, I haven't met many, but I was once catching autographs after a practice and Marty was coming out. There was a family there... father, 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter.

Father and son were ecstatic about getting their hats and jersey's autographed and chatting with Brodeur. The daughter got her stuff signed too, while the father and son continued to talk to Marty. The daughter then piped up and said "Hey! Dad! You said we'd just get the guy to sign our stuff and we'd go for ice cream!" Brodeur said something along the lines of "I may be a half decent goaltender, but there's no way that I can trump ice cream." He then asked the girl what flavour she was gonna get... So even though the kid kinda dissed him, he was jovial about it and really, really good with the kids.

I met Marty for the first time last week at his signing in NY. He has been an idol of mine since I was atleast 10 or so. I didnt think he would be such a nice guy, most people in his position are told every day they are god so they start to believe it themselves, but he is an acception. He was such a nice dude. I asked to take a picture with him and he scooted his chair back real fast and said sure and invited me behind the table with him. I told him I was Canadian and he asked me from where. Of course it was a signing so it was a quick in and out conversation but still great none the less.

First: Was Dano Met him at Bella Note (his old Restaraunt) busy but still had time to chat.

Best: Same night Randy Mckay had a couple of drinks with him at the bar in the restaraunt, real down to earth.

Worst: Marty, 2 years ago after a game here in FL vs the Panthers.. They had lost and he was in net so I will give him a pass :) at least he signed a puck for me!

But Randy was and Dano were years back, they were a lot of fun to talk to!

I forgot to add this. Yes, Timex is my favorite Devil of all time and will continue to be my favorite Devil of all time. I did meet Mike Peluso after the opening game of the 95-96 season on Saturday, October 7 at a bar. He was a great guy to chat with and he autographed my ticket stub. We beat the Florida Panthers that day after raising our first SC banner. I still have the ticket stub in wallet. :D

Met McKay, Madden, White and Danyeko at Mezzanote. White and Madden were just pups and didn't have much to say. McKay was super nice. And I am pretty sure Kenny was getting his drink on.

Randy McKay tops the list.

First: Stevens.... by accident in like 96. We were supposed to go to the Turtle Back Zoo and my stupid stepmother went to the wrong place. We ended up in South Mountain and Stevens just came off the ice. I got him to sign some paper I had on me. He was super nice.

Best: The list is way long... in the last four years I've met pretty much everyone (with the exception of Marty because I refuse to wait that long). Ones that stand out: Parise - always super sweet he made fun of my Clarkson shirt, Clarkie - even though I'm pretty sure he's scared of me, was upset I didn't bring him a cupcake for his birthday and made me take more than 1 picture with him after the first one he claims he looked bad in, Salmela - we had a nice chat about Finnish music, PL3 - he made fun of my Clarkson shirt too, Kevin Weekes - He always talked to us, AND of course when I did the 95 limo ride, that was pretty awesome.

Worst: Johnny Oduya, he always was bitchy.

First and only Devil I ever met was Marty. He was sitting out a game at Mellon Arena, and as someone already mentioned, the backup goalie had to sit on the other side of the ice because the benches were too small. I didn't want to bother him because everyone was doing it but I did, and I'm glad I did. He was annoyed, I get it, but it made my day. I really wish I could make these autograph sessions to meet these guys, mainly Parise and Elias.