52 replies to this topic

#21 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

My son when he was 6 wanted to go to a Devils game,that was in 1993.I had never been to one myself,and knew very little about it.So I bought a plan called a 6 pack,6 games on the weekends..we both loved it and were hooked.The next year got a partial plan and every year after for the next 10 years.We couldn't have picked a better time to become Devils fan's,got to see them win 2 cups at home.I also coached his in house team for 7 years.Thanks son for getting me into the best sport going.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#22 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

My uncle and cousins were always big Devils fans. When I was about seven or eight I received a franklin net with two sticks. From then on out I was hooked. First big game I can remember was the 2000 ECF game seven with Elias scoring. Earlier in the series I was walking around Shop Rite with my family when some jerkoff came up to eight year old me talking smack with the Devils down 3-1 cause I was wearing a Devils jersery.

#23 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Well, I was born in 1990 so. 1995 was kinda too early for me to truly remember it well, but it is what got my Dad hooked. Then I got this game for SEGA:

Posted Image

I spent so much time playing that game, haha. Growing up in Toms River, it's very divided among hockey fans as far as teams. I went to school with Devils, Flyers, and Rangers fans. We're like an hour away from New York and Philly equally, but for me I have always loved the Devils. Those years growing up, my Dad would take me to games at the CAA. I remember going to so many games as a kid but none really specific. I got to see many playoff wins; unfortunately never got to go to any of the Stanley Cup games. The tickets were always sold out and we were a middle class family. We had a pretty low ceiling as far as what we would be able to pay to go to the games. I remember watching the 00' cup run as a 10 year old, and have vivid memories of those series. When we came back against Philly in the ECF it was probably one of the happiest moments of my childhood - lol.

Then growing up, becoming a teenager, you finally get your license. I was working at Wawa. Worked there for 4 years. The pay was decent but... you know. just basically a step above minimum wage. I would just blow entire paychecks just to go to games, lol. I would bring my little brother (now 13) with me, or girlfriends, friends, whoever. Some memorable games of recent times, I was at that Toronto game, down 3-1 with 3 minutes to go to comeback (incredible), I also went by myself to a 1-0 playoff win versus Carolina (interesting, don't go to things alone often but REALLY Wanted to go), and #552 with my little brother: easily the best game I've ever been to, the atmosphere was incredible, the crowd was loud and roaring all game with appreciation for Marty (easily my favorite athlete ever). It felt like we had just won the Stanley Cup.

Then in March of 2010 I joined the Coast Guard. It's an interesting thing. I now live in Key West and what I've found in the military is a constant topic of conversation is, first off you'll exchange who you are, names, and then almost always the question comes up "where are you from?" I have always had a lot of pride for being from the Jersey Shore. I have to vehemently defend it often now almost all the time. So obviously, the Devils are an immense source of pride for me, and I love the way the team has taken the marketing, EMBRACING New Jersey, and claiming to be Jersey's Team. And it's the truth. How could I root for the Giants or Jets, when they openly shun Jersey? (I am a Seahawks fan... Yes I know it makes no sense.) I understand why people are fans of those teams, but I just can't. I'm proud of where I am from and refuse to live in the shadow of those places.

So clearly I've been a hockey fan all along, since I was a child. But lately I find myself even more addicted. I spend about 85% of my days off poring through hockey statistics, standings, highlights, TG's blog, this forum, YouTube videos, the works. My buddy got Center Ice, and we started a new thing, "Hockey Night in Key West" (Not to be confused with HNIC, lmao) where we get together almost every night and watch games. My buddy is a Caps fan, and I have another who is a Bruins fan. So we almost always have something to watch. And when I am not doing all this, I'm playing NHL12 on xbox almost religiously. We even go to Panthers games sometimes, when we feel like making the 4 hour road trip...

If I had one thing I could go back and change, it'd be playing hockey. I was such a lazy kid as a teenager. Played video games all day and drank tons of soda, just laying around being a loser. I had plenty of friends, but even when I'd hangout with them, we'd just sit around and do stupid stuff. My parents brought me to the rink in Brick to start playing hockey. I was learning to skate, but for some reason I just gave up: really wish I hadn't given up as a kid. (Just kept playing Soccer... lame!) regardless, I played a lot of street hockey, and obviously am happy with where I am now so it's not the end of the world. I guess in closing, I just love hockey!!

#24 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

How could I root for the Giants or Jets, when they openly shun Jersey? (I am a Seahawks fan... Yes I know it makes no sense.)

You're definitely not the only Devils/Seahawks fan. I'm there with ya and I know a handful of others in NJ as well.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#25 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Im canadian... Seriously its just part of life when you grow up here

Why devils?
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#26 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

You're definitely not the only Devils/Seahawks fan. I'm there with ya and I know a handful of others in NJ as well.

Whaaat!? I'm always shocked when I talk to another Seahawks fan. I've never been to a Seahawks game, I would love to go to one in Seattle. I got a chance to visit Seattle last year (for only one day) and it was an awesome city. I went to Qwest... well now CLink Field and took about a zillion pictures and blew way too much money in the Pro Shop, lol.

We had a decent rebound this second half... and I know it's meaningless but I hope we pound Arizona today anyways.

Anyways I'll stop myself before I go on and on cause this is not a football thread... Lol

#27 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

For me it was when I saw the Stanley Cup when I was 9 years old after the Devils won it in 95.

Growing up in Jersey City it was all baseball and basketball as a kid. So I didn't get exposed to hockey till the Devils won it in 95. I got dropped off at school one day and then went around the corner to Gary's Sweet Shop on Westside Ave to get Sour Patch Kids like me and my friends always did. The teachers tried to stop us from going so we had to sneak away lol. The owner Gary new someone or one of the Devils and had the Stanley Cup in the coffee shop!! We walked in and it was sitting on the counter!!! I got to see it and unfortunately couldn't see which Devil it was. My mom was there earlier and got to touch it!!

After that I was all about the Devils and then learned to love hockey from there on. My Dad started taking me to games in highschool but he was all about basketball and the Nets. My mom not a huge hockey fan roots casually for the Rags. Baseball I've played since I was old enough to walk and its my fav sport of all. I still like and play basketball constantly; sick of the NBA but LOVE hockey and playing it way more!!

You can go to Gary's and still see the picture behind the counter with him and his son around the Stanley Cup.

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673, 01 January 2012 - 04:51 PM.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#28 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

My parents got me into hockey. They always took me to any event that was going on at the Meadowlands or Continental Airlines Arena. I know the first time I got into hockey was around 6th or 7th grade back in the early 90's. My first favorite player was Bernie Nicholls when he played for the Devils and then when he left, it was Scott Stevens.

The one moment I remember vividly when I was younger was a game that I was at where Oliwa was sent to the penalty box and the Devils were getting crushed by the Caps and he tried climbing out of the Penalty box.

#29 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Whaaat!? I'm always shocked when I talk to another Seahawks fan. I've never been to a Seahawks game, I would love to go to one in Seattle. I got a chance to visit Seattle last year (for only one day) and it was an awesome city. I went to Qwest... well now CLink Field and took about a zillion pictures and blew way too much money in the Pro Shop, lol.

We had a decent rebound this second half... and I know it's meaningless but I hope we pound Arizona today anyways.

Anyways I'll stop myself before I go on and on cause this is not a football thread... Lol

My plan for my great post-grad school graduation celebration is to fly out to San Diego and spend two weeks on the west coast, driving up to Seattle/Vancouver, and going to the Seahawks home opener. I've never been to Seattle (and therefore a home Seahawks game) before and I'm dying to. This probably won't happen this summer/fall, but maybe if I'm lucky I can swing it in 2013.

------------

And to bring this back to topic (again)...I got into hockey through my father, a Rangers fan. He was always watching Rangers games, but the first game he bought me to was a Devils game (cheaper tickets, probably through work). Spring of 1993, so I was 11 years old. Devils Vs. Sharks. Devils won, 5-0. All five goals were scored in the second (which means all five goals were scored in the net on the far opposite side of the arena from where we were sitting). Chris Terreri had a shutout, and Stephane Richer scored a natural hat trick.

It remains the only hat trick I've actually seen in person. My father would not let me throw my hat because he had just purchased it for me that evening. Been a Devils fan ever since.

Oddly, I got away from hockey for awhile in the early-to-mid-'00s. I always kind of followed the Devils but not very closely...I can actually remember the '95 cup best and barely have any recollection of the '03 cup at all.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Why devils?

Its in my last post

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

You do realize that Seattle to Vancouver is about a 3 hour drive (~150 miles), right?
A lot of people look at a map and think "wow, it's just a half inch away...", but what's impossible to realize is that the standard North American map projection causes things in the corners to squish together.
You probably know already (and heck, San Diego to Seattle is a whole different ball game anyway... that's like a 24 hour drive, if not more), but I figured that I'd mention it. I used to live in Portland, a couple of years ago, which is what really brought that whole situation home for me personally.

#32 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

The video games did the job for me. People don't give a crap about hockey where I live, so there was nobody to get me into it. But I always loved video games and I installed NHL 2001 demo one day just for the hell of it. Out of the two teams in the demo (the Devils and the Stars, obviously) I picked the Devs because I liked the name, the colours and the logo. :P I got the full version, played a little bit, learnt the rules of hockey thanks to it.

My getting into hockey was fairly similar. Ice hockey in Australia? Say what?

It was about 92-93, when i was at my mates place, and we decided to play hockey on his Amiga (if anyone remembers those), and i chose the Devils because when i was young i listened to Bon Jovi and knew he was from Jersey.

I kept playing video games, more specifically the 2k hockey series from 2002 - 2005, then with internet in Australia finally getting semi-respectable it occurred to me to start trying to find games to watch and follow the NHL.
So i slowly started watching, and getting into it, until i started subscribing to the NHL Gamecenter 3 years ago, and bought countless merchandise items, and even flew to California for the 3 game road trip last year.
I'm now also flying to Jersey in March for 2 1/2 weeks holiday and 5 home games :)

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#33 NHLeBeau44

NHLeBeau44

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

My dad and the Columbus Blue Jackets. I didn't really know what hockey was until the Blue Jackets came to Columbus and youth hockey exploded. Being born in 1991, I was at the perfect age to start playing and fell in love with the game. For as long as I can remember, my dad has had a green NJD starter jacket and I would always wear that thing to the rink. As a defense men, I loved Scott Stevens play and aggressiveness.

#34 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

You do realize that Seattle to Vancouver is about a 3 hour drive (~150 miles), right?
A lot of people look at a map and think "wow, it's just a half inch away...", but what's impossible to realize is that the standard North American map projection causes things in the corners to squish together.
You probably know already (and heck, San Diego to Seattle is a whole different ball game anyway... that's like a 24 hour drive, if not more), but I figured that I'd mention it. I used to live in Portland, a couple of years ago, which is what really brought that whole situation home for me personally.

I'm planning on going from San Diego to Seattle, another 3 hours won't kill me. :lol: I've spent some time on the west coast, so I have a general idea as to the distances between the major cities. It's just a road trip I've always wanted to take, and it used to always been San Diego to Seattle, but lately Vancouver's been interesting to me as well.

#35 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'm planning on going from San Diego to Seattle, another 3 hours won't kill me. :lol: I've spent some time on the west coast, so I have a general idea as to the distances between the major cities. It's just a road trip I've always wanted to take, and it used to always been San Diego to Seattle, but lately Vancouver's been interesting to me as well.

I feel like a certain riot has a little something to do with that :P

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#36 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

I feel like a certain riot has a little something to do with that :P

Olympics more than riots, really.

Though hey, if there's the possibility of making out with a hot chick in the streets, it's probably in Vancouver.

#37 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

The Olympics were, like, 18 months ago... ?
Regardless, Vancouver is an absolutely beautiful city. British Columbia is breathtakingly beautiful. We (some friends from work and I) went up there to go to Whistler a couple of times. If you ski at all (and even if you don't, really), I highly recommend it.

#38 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

When I was in first grade I think my uncle got my dad and I tickets for a Devils and Blackhawks game. It ended in a 2-2 tie and I was hooked ever since. No shootout necessary. The same uncle later got me a Rangers jersey for my birthday that I now use to mop up spills or wipe muddy shoes on, etc.

It also helped greatly that my next-door neighbor was already into hockey. He came over like every day after school and we played hockey on my backyard patio using baseball bats and broken tee-ball tees as sticks, and the little seedpods that fell off the tree in my backyard as pucks. Eventually we got real equipment and started playing in our street on a daily basis with some other kids from my street and around the corner. Most of them are older than me and when they got to middle school that kind of ended it sadly and we all kind of stopped talking to each other and have since moved out on our own, although I kept playing in leagues and stuff, and two of the others still play. Over the past few years I have played against that next-door neighbor in roller hockey games at Inman which I think is pretty cool because we played there when we were in elementary school and used to compare how our teams were doing.

Edited by devilsfan26, 01 January 2012 - 10:53 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#39 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

God I hate the shootout... Sorry. I'd start a thread if I could, but I can't, so I let my little rant go here. :)

Anyway, you must (have) lived just down the street from me... 'course, there's like an 18 year time difference as well, but that's besides the point.

#40 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

I already posted on the other thread. what got me to hockey was a Brodeur save back in 08. I was flipping channels and i was going to pass the channel but brodeu made one crazy save, i decide to stay and watch a little bit more, I ended up watching the whole game and by the end i discovered that the Devils were based on New Jersey , so that's how i got into hockey and became a Devils fan.

I should mention that before that game i did force myself to root for the rangers(didn't know about NJ @ the time) but could not watch more then 10 minutes of a Ranger game(did that 3 times) , the Rangers just bored everytime i watched them playing.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users