Devils Financial Woes on Verge of Being Solved?

njdevil26

moves last year had much more to do with cap space and roster construction then they did with actual dollars. a long term deal wasn't put in place for parise for two major reasons - uncertainty over the future of the franchise (gilfilan/chambers would not sign off on any long term deal as they wanted to get out) and the fact that parise was coming off a major knee injury and neither side knew what kind of player he'd be.

Very true. Plus, this team added payroll throughout the season with the moves for Poni and Zid, which infuriated some other teams owners and GM's since we got our share of league distributed revenues paid out to us early. Lou has said that he doesn't want to spend to the cap because he wants the flexibility to make moves during the season if need be. Also, who was out on the FA market last season that we had a realistic shot of making a run at? From what I remember, it was an incredibly weak crop, much like this season outside of Suter and Parise.

But you never hear about this stuff in the NY Post or other well respected publications in the NY metro area. Just the same regurgitation of the Post's article about impending bankruptcy.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I read this in an article about 2 years ago in Forbes or some other publication like that. The ratings for the Apprentice shot up a little bit when he introduced Celebrity Apprentice, but compared to the rest of the reality shows it sits pretty much near the middle of the pack. However they rake in the most amount of sponsor money than most, if not all the other reality shows.

The reason why NBC has not replaced the show but has replaced others with similar ratings is because of the product placements. While American Idol's product placements are more in line with the judges having Coke on their cups on their judging table, every single friggin Apprentice episode has the people doing something (either creating a new jingle or ad campaign or whatever) about the stupid product or company that sponsors the show. So literally instead of every episodes have a few flashes of various products for a few seconds each on other shows, the Apprentice has hour-long commercials for a specific product every week. Companies kill for that stuff and with now celebrities doing this stuff (even if they are C or even D-list celebs), the companies still pay a lot for it.

So no, it is not Trump-talk-esque crock of sh!t.

Anyways back to the topic, I am still puzzled about if the rumors are true and it is a Canadian businessman, why would he want to invest in a money-losing franchise 500 miles away if there is no intent to move them? IDK just got bad vibes about this now.

To get off the subject: It is a crock. Celebrity Apprentice for the past three years has been setting rating lows. It was renewed for the next two seasons for next to nothing.

I think what you are referring to is that the Apprentice begs sponsors the most, it had a record 120 brand placement in one month alone, BUT that is because Trump can't charge as much as more successful shows because of the ratings and the low caliber of audience. If it was truly making as much as American Idol it would not be on the chopping block every year or would be demanding more $ from NBC, which it can't.

American Idol is tanking quicker than the Mets in September.

I don't watch American Idol, but even with a 25% decrease in ratings, it is still the number one show on TV by Households. With 18 million viewers.

I don't think that's too uncommon. I believe the new Phoenix ownership is made up of a few businessmen from San Jose (not sure but I remember reading that). In fact the guy Bettman wanted to sell the Coyotes to last year was also part owner of the White Sox, wasn't he? The Devils are pretty safe in Jersey for atleast the next couple of decades since they have a lease and are tied to the arena. After how hard the NHL fought to keep Phoenix, I can't see them letting the Devils go anywhere, especially after a run to the finals and major uncertainty for the Islanders.

Thing is, the examples you mentioned have investors from an area that already has a hockey team and/or has no interest in adding another. Hamilton doesn't have a hockey team and there has been great interest for years in bringing a hockey team there. I know it is probably unlikely but still makes me a little uneasy. I guess we will find out more when they introduce him or her or them.

Thing is, the examples you mentioned have investors from an area that already has a hockey team and/or has no interest in adding another. Hamilton doesn't have a hockey team and there has been great interest for years in bringing a hockey team there. I know it is probably unlikely but still makes me a little uneasy. I guess we will find out more when they introduce him or her or them.

There's already a team for sale that's way easier to move out of their current market. The Devils aren't going anywhere.

People really need to drop the Hamilton nonsense. I'm tired of sounding like a broken record. Hamilton is one of the sh!ttiest cities I've ever been to and they have barely any business having an AHL team let alone an NHL team. It will never, ever happen.

People really need to drop the Hamilton nonsense. I'm tired of sounding like a broken record. Hamilton is one of the sh!ttiest cities I've ever been to and they have barely any business having an AHL team let alone an NHL team. It will never, ever happen.

I've heard the same thing about Newark.

But I think what Triumph said is accurate and even I said it is very unlikely this team is moving.

There's already a team for sale that's way easier to move out of their current market. The Devils aren't going anywhere.

It's also worth noting that there seem to be no shortage of investors who would be thrilled to keep the Coyotes where they are if they can secure the same sweetheart deal from Glendale as the Devils got from Newark.

It's also worth noting that there seem to be no shortage of investors who would be thrilled to keep the Coyotes where they are if they can secure the same sweetheart deal from Glendale as the Devils got from Newark.

The Glendale deals being proposed would be way sweeter than the Newark deal.

How can you tell? The Devils' deal with Newark and operating structure is shrouded in dummy corporations, Swiss bank accounts, Cayman Island tax shelters, hidden ninjas, greed, lust, unbridled enthusiasm and Billy Mumphry.

How can you tell? The Devils' deal with Newark and operating structure is shrouded in dummy corporations, Swiss bank accounts, Cayman Island tax shelters, hidden ninjas, greed, lust, unbridled enthusiasm and Billy Mumphry.

trump was here

AFAIK, the only way it could be sweeter is if Glendale pays the Coyotes to play there. The Devils lease is about $600k/year when you factor in what Newark has to guarantee back in parking revenue.