All MLB Thread

devilsrule33

I am fairly sure that it isn't allowed. If it is I can't think of any example of it ever happening, although I really doubt it is legal.

Me either, I would guess you can't because it'd be a loophole around signing draft picks. MLB draft is so stupid because so many small market teams have to pass up on the talented players to get the one that will settle for the money the smaller market team can afford.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- Some 2009 NCAA stats on the top guys in the draft --

RHP Stephen Strasburg (San Diego State): 8-3, 1.57 ERA, 12.3 K/9, 0.79 WHIP

1B/OF Dustin Ackley (North Carolina): .417/.503/.597 .. 7 HR, 51 RBI in 68 games

LHP Mike Minor (Vanderbilt): 7-3, 4.28 ERA, 8.8 K/9, 1.23 WHIP

RHP Aaron Crow (Missouri): 13-0, 2.35 ERA, 10.6 K/9, 1.15 WHIP

RHP Alex White (North Carolina): 13-3, 2.83 ERA, 10 K/9, 1.18 WHIP

SS Grant Green (USC): .390/.438/.644 .. 9 HR, 46 RBI in 50 games

There is also a ton of high-school kids but Im too lazy to post anymore lol; heres a great list from BA http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft...009/268178.html

Edited by nmigliore

Cliff Lee is 6 outs away from a possible no hitter.

The Indians need to really trade this guy and get max value.. making a small $5.75M this year and has a cheap $8M club option for next year. Mark DeRosa is another great trade piece for them.

edit: Molina doubled to leadoff the inning, ah well.

Edited by nmigliore

the astro's offense has been doing great the past ten days. Its a shame to see them still struggling in the NL.

I'm also glad to see the pirates show some life, only being 2 games under .500 is pretty good for them right. Russ Ohlendorf was another Yankee prospect, i believe he was sent over in the nady / marte trade.

Cliff Lee is 6 outs away from a possible no hitter.

The Indians need to really trade this guy and get max value.. making a small $5.75M this year and has a cheap $8M club option for next year. Mark DeRosa is another great trade piece for them.

edit: Molina doubled to leadoff the inning, ah well.

man, you jst reminded me of michael kay there. hahaha

the astro's offense has been doing great the past ten days. Its a shame to see them still struggling in the NL.

I'm also glad to see the pirates show some life, only being 2 games under .500 is pretty good for them right. Russ Ohlendorf was another Yankee prospect, i believe he was sent over in the nady / marte trade.

how about the Rockies? 11 straight wins .. they dont stand a chance in that division, but, they might have a shot at the wild card.

re Pirates: yeah Ohlendorf was part of that deal.. that kid Andrew McCutchen has jolted some life in them since dealing McClouth... hes FAST.. If Morgan can continue to progress in hitting and getting on base those 2 are going to be a lethal 1-2 punch at the top of the order... and they also adds strength to the defense in the outfield.

btw Lee just finished the game, CG shutout.

On the subject of Cliff Lee's CG shutout...

Joe Morgan told a story last night, while Cliff Lee still had a no-hitter going against the Cardinals. The interesting thing is, the story wasn't true at all.

"I guess I can tell this story now, one of my great experiences when I was a young player. Don Wilson was pitching a no-hitter against the Atlanta Braves. They had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty, Felipe Alou and Hank Aaron, of course. And they got to the ninth inning, he got two outs, no one on base, and Hank Aaron was the hitter. And in my infinite wisdom, I ran in to the mound. I said, "You know, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Hank Aaron walked right here. He said, "Get back to second base." I proceeded to go back to second base. He threw three fastballs right by Hank Aaron. No-hitter."

The folks over at Deadspin did a little research, and it turns out that the no-hitter in question actually happened... but Joe Morgan didn't actually play in that game.

http://www.faniq.com/article/Joe-Morgan-li...ohitter-1702730

Here is a weird rule. If the MLB season ended today then Joe Mauer would win the AL batting title and be recorded as hitting .426(I think that's his average noe) for the season even though he doesn't have enough ABs to qualify for the league leaders list.

The reason for this is that MLB has a rule that if you can sustain being given 0 hits in all the ABs you need to qualify for the leaders list and still have the highest average then you will be recognized as the batting champion and they'll record your real average and not the adjusted average.

anyone see that stolen base by scutaro? just caught it on the highlights on baseball tonight... that was such a smart and gutsy attempt to try something like that.

edit: also that willie harris catch vs the yankees was SICK: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200906185118861 .. hes made some dandy catches vs the mets in the past as well.

Edited by nmigliore

• 3 weeks later...

All-Star teams announced minus the final voting spot. Online voting continues to deny deserving players of a chance to be at the game. Josh Hamilton. Great story last year but you've been injured most of the season. Dustin Pedroia was the MVP last year but Hill and Kinsler should be the two 2Bs.

Now there is only one spot left and more than one deserving player out there. Lind and Kinsler should both be there. Look at where Lind ranks in the AL.

BA: 11th

OPS: 5th

Hits: 8th

2B: 3rd

HR: 11th

RBI: 7th

Russel Branyan could've gone... the person that didn't go that shocked me most was Dan Haren of the DBacks...

8-5, 2.16 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 15 BB/119 K (yeah, thats a 7.93 K/BB ratio) .. how the hell did he not go?

edit: im glad Sandoval is going, he was part of that group of 5 players from the NL; only 1 would get voted in, and it was him .. he deserves it - .328/.381/.564, 13 HR, 48 RBI

edit 2: oops, im wrong .. kinsler and sandoval lead their groups, so they aren't technically in yet.

re: Lind/Kinsler - this should go to Lind IMO.. Kinsler is terrible on the road - .200/.271/.406 .. seems like hes benefitting from that park in Texas where ball carries better

Edited by nmigliore

No-Hitter on the west coast last night, Jonathan Sanches of the Giants blanks the Padres:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/sanchez_nohitter/index.jsp

Woulda been a perfect game had a runner not reached on the third baseman's error. Uribe owes Sanchez a beer. Or a car.

as i said in the mets thread - if giants want to make a serious playoff run they should look into acquiring a power hitter (they rank 2nd to last in homeruns and are near the bottom in every offensive category).. they were supposedly shopping sanchez; this should bring his value up a bit.. hes never been awful (despite the high ERAs), he just walks alot of guys - hes averaged 4.5 BB/9 during his major league career.

Edited by nmigliore

Always special watching a no hitter.

Maybe it's my Canadian bias, but how can anyone who follows sports not like Matt Stairs? He is as old school as they come. The dude is 41 years old. He does no off-season training at all. He doesn't pick up a bat until spring training. Couldn't give a sh!t about working out or getting fit. And he doesn't hide the fact that all he's looking to do when he gets up to the plate is crush a ball out of the park. And very few baseball players hit a ball deeper when they connect.

Here's a deep shot from last night.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200...91&c_id=phi

It's a shame that he's in the NL and relegated to pinch hitting for a pitcher. He still could be a pretty good DH somewhere in the AL.

Always special watching a no hitter.

Maybe it's my Canadian bias, but how can anyone who follows sports not like Matt Stairs? He is as old school as they come. The dude is 41 years old. He does no off-season training at all. He doesn't pick up a bat until spring training. Couldn't give a sh!t about working out or getting fit. And he doesn't hide the fact that all he's looking to do when he gets up to the plate is crush a ball out of the park. And very few baseball players hit a ball deeper when they connect.

Here's a deep shot from last night.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200...91&c_id=phi

It's a shame that he's in the NL and relegated to pinch hitting for a pitcher. He still could be a pretty good DH somewhere in the AL.

Yeah this guy was a sleeper pickup by the Phillies last year.. he had a huge pinch-hit HR for them in the NLCS vs the dodgers that pretty much put away the series.

but this is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqZDe4364BI

The catch by Wise will be on highlight reels for a long time, too. He goes up, grabs it from over the wall, nearly loses it, juggles and catches in his non-gloved hand. To record the first out in the ninth inning to preserve a perfect game. As a defensive replacement, added to the game to start the ninth.

Beuhrle owes him a steak.

Mark Buehrle, baby! How 'bout dem Sox!

Tied with the Tigers now. If Quentin can regain even a fraction of last year's form, and Danks rebounds from his latest blister injury, the Sox just might make a serious run for the Central again.

Wish I could have seen some of this. :( I don't even have cable right now, so I'll have to hit up all the highlights online tomorrow.

The catch by Wise will be on highlight reels for a long time, too. He goes up, grabs it from over the wall, nearly loses it, juggles and catches in his non-gloved hand. To record the first out in the ninth inning to preserve a perfect game. As a defensive replacement, added to the game to start the ninth.

Beuhrle owes him a steak.

I tried to propose to my boss that the office should close early when somebody throws a perfect game. He didn't quite go for it. :D

*sigh*

i still wonder when the mets will ever get their first no hitter/perfect game (yes non-mets fans you read that right, FIRST.. they have been around for 40+ years and still nobody has thrown a no hitter, let alone a perfect game!) :angry: