Bernier's dive

skullsmasher

I dont like it... Im glad the devils doesnt have too much divers and thats why eventho hes scoring a lot this year that i dont like clarkson. I find that our guys stay down a lot to get penalties and i dont like it either. I guess torts was a little right about that, sad to say

Torts was right? You mean the guy who accused us of embellishing and the next game had his own player penalized for embellishing?

Torts was right? You mean the guy who accused us of embellishing and the next game had his own player penalized for embellishing?

haha yeah im talking about that a$$hole... and specifically about "that thing he said"

but to be honest guys like Clarkson, Zubrus, Elias when they are taken down usually stay down looking at the refs hoping to get a penalty and its driving me nuts

im playing soccer and OF COURSE we're getting accused of diving and acting all the time and i gotta say its true that most players does BUT im captain of my senior team and personally you have to clip me really hard for me to stay down. And i'm telling my guys to do the same and to get up and play.

Nothing worst than a guy staying down in the offensive zone hoping for a penalty not backchecking while the other team is attacking with an odd man rush and score.

just get up and play

Seems like not too many here actually play hockey or have been in a similar situation.

When a stick comes up that close to your face, that's an instinct reaction. He reflexes like he was hit but afterwards he doesn't fall to the ice in agony and try to sell it. He doesn't dive. Instead, he goes to the bench to get checked out. You can even see him checking his hand; checking to see what the damage was. What is the problem with this call? A reaction to a stick to the face is only justified if there's blood spewing all over the ice?

Beat me to the punch here. If you're not expecting a stick to be about 1 1/2" from your face and all of a sudden there it is, you're natural reaction is to attempt to avoid it poking your eye out.

When I played I "dove" more when I hadn't been hit than when I had. When you see a stick or elbow coming to your face, you jump fast to get out of the way. When you get hit hard, you brace for impact and get back up. I always got up fast, but the "dive" is a product of seeing something coming towards you, not the actual contact.

Embellishing is not new to this game. Things happen throughout the course of games. Everyone is out there to win for their team. You win some you lose some... How many times have the Devils or any other team for that matter lost calls because officials don't want to call it. Zubrus got cut with a high stick the other night and we didn't get a call. You get pissed for a little bit and then you get over it. I wouldn't say that Bernier is a cheap player. This is the only incident that I can recollect of him since he's been with us. In fact, he's been awesome for us. You wanna discredit a guy because he was trying to help his team?

Embellishing is not new to this game. Things happen throughout the course of games. Everyone is out there to win for their team. You win some you lose some... How many times have the Devils or any other team for that matter lost calls because officials don't want to call it. Zubrus got cut with a high stick the other night and we didn't get a call. You get pissed for a little bit and then you get over it. I wouldn't say that Bernier is a cheap player. This is the only incident that I can recollect of him since he's been with us. In fact, he's been awesome for us. You wanna discredit a guy because he was trying to help his team?

To further clarify what I said before, I don't like the embellishing either but its a part of the sport unless you change the rules to stop it. The OP called it an, "utter disgrace to hockey," singling out Bernier ridiculously, when by his standard, hockey today is an utter disgrace. It's like the OP didn't watch the whole series vs. the Rags, or hockey in the past 10 years at all for that matter.

Okay, I am decidedly in the middle on this. On the one hand, I can see why he 'flinched' or reacted as anyone would have who just had a fast moving object move close to their face would do. Otoh, it is clear he embellished, perhaps quite a bit. But I am not at all POed at Devils fans for pointing this out. I do not want to root for a classless organization and I have always been proud that we don't pull tha crap and that, for the most part, our fans are also willing to call out our own for this junk. Perhaps in this case it isn't entirely warranted, but I would rather keep the quality of the organization high than constantly overlook shenanigans and watch our reputation erode to th point of common street thugs, bad actors, or worse.... The rangers or flyers.

When arguing against giving Bernier a bit of a text-lashing keep in mind that we could have kept Assa Tikkanen years ago but Lou quickly decided that we just didn't fit in with the Devils culture and sent him n his way in short order. At least I think that sort of thing is worth bearing in mind.