2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Cano doesn't take enough pitches to be a #3 hitter. The 5 spot is good for him right now. I like this:

Jeter

Granderson

Teixeira

Rodriguez

Cano

Posada (DH)

Swisher

Cervelli

Gardner

Even still with Robbie, he's got the highest OBP on the team (even though it's just bc of his average. I could see him at 3 or 4 on a different team just because of how good he is at driving them in (last year not included)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only June but it's nice to be back in first place (tie). Hopefully they can get ahead of Tampa and ride it out, I hate the Rays.

As long as we make it and the Sawx don't, I'll be fine no matter what place we're in. Really it seems to be just us and whoever else gets into the playoffs from the East for the pennant

You know the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Someone g'head and explain to me how this years' team is as good as last years.

You're right it's not nearly as good, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be better than all the other teams this year, and, right now at least, it is.

And people kid themselves and say the Yankees don't need another bat. Production from anyone besides Cano has been inconsistant at best.

Also, I hate Jeter leading off. It seems like every game he has 2 or 3 singles without anyone on. It worked last year because we had a consistant #2 in Damon, something we've seriously seriously missed this year.

You know the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Someone g'head and explain to me how this years' team is as good as last years.

Nick Johnson > Johnny Damon ; Thames/Winn > Hinske/Matsui? Fail.

That's his job you do realize that right? Typically the #1 and #2 spots in a lineup are supposed to get on base. Then it is up to the #3 and #4 guys to drive them in. They are not RBI guys they are get on base guys.

You're misreading my sentiments. With the team doing this horribly at hitting with RISP, wouldn't we be better served to have Jeter batting second where the probability of him hitting with a man on is slightly greater?

The benefits would be minimal at best. Whether Jeter is batting first or second it doesn't make a difference. At most you are really only looking at 1st and 2nd 95% of the time if the first two get on anyway. It is still up to Teixara and Arod to score them.

Any confidence I've ever had in AJ Burnett has fully been erased. 3 home runs in the first inning against the worst team in the NL? Wonderful.

The Diamondbacks have one of the best lineups in the NL; they are tied for the NL lead in homeruns and are 3rd in wOBA. Its their pitching -- their bullpen in particular -- that makes them so bad.

Edited by nmigliore

The Diamondbacks have one of the best lineups in the NL; they are tied for the NL lead in homeruns and are 3rd in wOBA. Its their pitching -- their bullpen in particular -- that makes them so bad.

But still, AJ's clearly the 5th pitcher right now. He started off Cy Young worthy and somehow has dropped below Vazquez, who's been quite good lately.

And did anyone read the thing on SI.com about Cano? Interesting stuff with long. Apparently there's also supposed to be a big feature in the magazine about him this week.

Robbie and Kevin Long

Mariano last night...OMG. Loading up the bases and then just basically deciding nobody was scoring and in his 2nd inning no less. Unreal...

That game was ugly as hell but ended awesome. Crazy night but it was awesome to see C-Grand with the go ahead home run, Mo bat, and get out of that huge jam. Talk about winning a game you shouldn't have.

That game was ugly as hell but ended awesome. Crazy night but it was awesome to see C-Grand with the go ahead home run, Mo bat, and get out of that huge jam. Talk about winning a game you shouldn't have.

hey man, a win's a win. As long as we pick up a game on TB/Bos, it's fine with me.

And I don't know about anyone else, but with US soccer and Joe Torre vs. NYY and the NHL draft, this is going to be a great weekend (except for the lack of a 1st round pick :koolaid: )

I don't know how you can say this team isn't better than last year's team so far.

On June 26, 2009 we were 41-32, 4 games behind Boston 406 RS 358 RA

On June 26, 2010 we are 46, 27 2.5 games ahead of Tampa...397 RS 294 RA

So the offense is more or less comparable but the pitching? Loads better. We had a revolving door at 5th starter last year. Look at some of the dreck we gave the ball to. This year? It has been great except for Bad AJ making too many appearances lately.

Yes, another bat would be useful. So would another bullpen arm. This team is not perfect.

Of course, adding a bat only makes sense if you are committed to Posada as your every day C. Giving up a lot for a guy who will DH 3 or 4 days a week is not worth it.

If I look for terrible or awful in the dictionary, do I find AJ? I've never seen a guy start out Cy Young worthy and then turn into the worst pitcher on the staff and one of the worst in the majors. btw, it feels like this game's been on for 6 hours...and we're in the fifth inning

I haven't seen a game this poorly managed in my entire life. He leaves AJ in after 3 of the worst innings of pitching I've seen in my life, and then pinch-hits Posada (who is absolute atrocious) for Granderson? So, Joe, now we have a picher batting second the rest of the game... just so you could put in the streakiest hitter in the game?

It was a pretty big moment in the game and Granderson is flat out terrible vs LHP. I'm not sure why you say Posada is "absolute atrocious" when he has the 2nd best wOBA on the Yankees; would you rather have him pinch hit with Huffman, Russo, or Pena instead?

No, I'd rather not have him pinch hit our only other catcher on staff eliminating a very solid hitter for the rest of the game and rendering the second slot in our lineup totally and completely useless for at LEAST 2 more at-bats, probably 3.

Granderson is like an automatic out vs lefties (Kuo is very good in general, and hes even better against lefties) while Posada has been the 2nd best hitter for the Yankees this year and has crushed lefties (granted its like a ~50 AB sample size). With him being the tying run at the plate, you at least have a better shot at hitting a game-tying HR or extending the inning. Its a bit of a gamble if you care that much about the 2nd catcher stuff, but as an outside/neutral observer, I thought it was worth it, especially since a chance like that might not come up again; Kuo has been great and Broxton has been the best reliever/closer in baseball this year.

Also, 2-3 at bats? Huh? The Yankees' 2-hole hitter is only going to bat like 1 more time unless they tie it up.

Edit: And 2 innings later, its now 9-4. So barring a big Yankees' rally, they aren't going to get a spot bigger than the one they had in the 6th, which really just makes the Posada decision look smarter.

Edited by nmigliore

The best reliever/closer in baseball got the win last night.

Yeah I'd admit that's accurate.

I was making a judgment solely based off of this year's stats, and Broxton has been the best so far. Even with last night's debacle his numbers are still amazing: 13.10 K/9, 1.87 BB/9, 0.93 FIP (thanks to allowing 0 homeruns), 1.95 xFIP (because he isn't going to sustain a 0 HR-rate).

For comparisons sake, only Marmol and Wagner have higher strikeout rates and Broxton's FIP and xFIP lead all relievers in baseball so far this year.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah I'd admit that's accurate.

I was making a judgment solely based off of this year's stats, and Broxton has been the best so far. Even with last night's debacle his numbers are still amazing: 13.10 K/9, 1.87 BB/9, 0.93 FIP (thanks to allowing 0 homeruns), 1.95 xFIP (because he isn't going to sustain a 0 HR-rate).

For comparisons sake, only Marmol and Wagner have higher strikeout rates and Broxton's FIP and xFIP lead all relievers in baseball so far this year.

didn't broxton fall apart last year in the playoffs? I wonder if he'll turn out like Trevor Hoffman: great in the regular season but just awful when it matters at all. And I don't care what the stats say, I'll take Mo anyway even if Broxton blew him away