If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer...

Jerzey

51 members have voted

1. 1. If Schneider will not sign an extension this summer Lou should...

• Trade him immediately
    • Continue to try to sign him until he's a UFA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think brodeur will be back for another year regardless if schneider resigns this summer or not.

I agree. He just played half a season, it's only logical that management thinks he still has something, even if it's only enough to be a backup and play 15-20.

Plus, he seems to want to keep playing. If there were another team who wanted him and would give him more ice time, he might go. But after getting half the games this year he wasn't happy. That means he wants a starting job, which I don't think he will find.

I'd guess he is with the team either way next year, in goalie pads or in a suit.

i dont think anyone would be willing to give him a starting job.. thats just not realistic for him at this point in his career.. and i dont think he will be back here in a suit its too soon, i think just about no matter what he will be on a roster somewhere and as i said enless hes really that butt hurt about them bringing in cory basically behind his back then i think he would be likely to remain here again enless someone else is offering him a better role

We're two years removed from an appearance in the finals--Again. We have new ownership and a boatload of kids. The overreaction here is crazy.

If they re-sign Cory, they should be in great shape in net, and they've got some good D prospects (really hopping Larsson plays on the big club all season next year).  Forward situation is definitely murky. 

Anyway, yeah, after a tremendous run, missing the playoffs three out of four seasons but getting to one SC Final isn't bottom-of-the-barrel, but I'm sure Lou doesn't want this becoming four-out-five-years or five-out-of-six years of missing the playoffs, if he can help it.  He's got a much better financial situation now and contracts coming off the books...this is going to be an interesting off-season...we'll probably know a couple of weeks into UFA if Lou thinks he can make this team a true contender within the next couple of seasons, or if he thinks it may take longer.

If they re-sign Cory, they should be in great shape in net, and they've got some good D prospects (really hopping Larsson plays on the big club all season next year).  Forward situation is definitely murky. 

Anyway, yeah, after a tremendous run, missing the playoffs three out of four seasons but getting to one SC Final isn't bottom-of-the-barrel, but I'm sure Lou doesn't want this becoming four-out-five-years or five-out-of-six years of missing the playoffs, if he can help it.  He's got a much better financial situation now and contracts coming off the books...this is going to be an interesting off-season...we'll probably know a couple of weeks into UFA if Lou thinks he can make this team a true contender within the next couple of seasons, or if he thinks it may take longer.

Larsson can't go back to the minors next year, he's waiver eligible.  

well he's gonna need to sign forwards no matter what with Boucher and Matteau being the only forward prospects we have anywhere close. Pietiela I guess maybe too eventually 

It is possible that Lou already tested the waters with Cory and this played a part in not trading Marty at the deadline... It wouldn't surprise if Schneider were to get traded.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty true because Marty is a FA but there is some significance to it; because it's like, once you trade Marty, it's kind of seems like he should be gone for good. I don't think the scenario the poster proposed ever happened though.

I wanted to shop Schneider this year. I knew it wasn't going to happen, and waiting until the offseason or sometime next year won't really mean much a difference. I really don't think he likes it here, and although he grew on me a bit, I didn't like him much from when we first got him. I'm pretty bad at playing GM when it comes to trade value. Could we move Schneider and Gelinas to Edmonton for Scrivens and one of their young scorers?

I wanted to shop Schneider this year. I knew it wasn't going to happen, and waiting until the offseason or sometime next year won't really mean much a difference. I really don't think he likes it here, and although he grew on me a bit, I didn't like him much from when we first got him. I'm pretty bad at playing GM when it comes to trade value. Could we move Schneider and Gelinas to Edmonton for Scrivens and one of their young scorers?

No chance in hell I'd do that. I'd say there's a good chance Schneider wins the Vezina next year.

I think it's hilarious that the opinions in here range from "Trade Schneids ASAP" to "He's winning the Vezina". All I'll say is I'd be shocked if they trade him and even more shocked if he isn't locked-up. The Devils simply can't afford to lose him and I see him getting overpaid if need be to stay here.

I think it's hilarious that the opinions in here range from "Trade Schneids ASAP" to "He's winning the Vezina". All I'll say is I'd be shocked if they trade him and even more shocked if he isn't locked-up. The Devils simply can't afford to lose him and I see him getting overpaid if need be to stay here.

The biggest issue is, does he want to stay here?

I do not know if throwing tons of money at him will be enough to get it done.   I hope we sign him to a long term deal; but I am definitely nervous about it.

thats my concern about cory as well... if he wants to actually stay here, i think he was quite frustrated this year with the goalie situation and the team playing like hot trash in front of him.. who knows what he is going to want to do im sure he will have better options than here in nj

It's not really a stretch to say that Schneids might win the Vezina - he already has the best GAA in the league among players who have started 26+ games (7 points lower than the next guy). If he can get his save percentage up a few points, he will be right in the mix.

Edited by Neb00rs

It's not really a stretch to say that Schneids might win the Vezina - he already has the best GAA in the league among players who have started 26+ games (7 points lower than the next guy). If he can get his save percentage up a few points, he will be right in the mix.

Not saying it's not possible, just was pointing out how opinions in this thread really run the gamut haha. It's quite interesting actually. 

You guys are not realizing the fact of how hard it is to have a GUARANTEED spot as a starting goalie on ANY team.  Just take a moment and think about how many starting jobs there are in the NHL and how hard it is to nail one down.  Cory Schneider knew when he came to NJ that Marty Brodeur was aging and possibly on the way out.  Despite his win/loss pct., Cory Schneider is a starting 'tender, and he displayed that this year and his time in Vancouver.  You also have to realize that Brodeur is done as a starter not only here, but possibly in the NHL.  There is NO way you trade Cory Schneider unless a deal is NOT done by the trade deadline next season.  That is the only time you consider it.  Even then, Cory Schneider is worth a 1st round pick + a nearly developed prospect and you can't accept anything less for him.  If you only get a 1st round pick for Schneider, that means the Devils were hosed just as bad as Vancouver when they let him go because like it or not, we hosed VAN for that pick as they could have demanded a blue-chip prospect from us on top of the 1st rounder. 

If you're going to make guesses about this or that, you have to think logically.  Schneider knows that while yes, he can go anywhere if he goes to July 1st, (UFA) and his agent will whisper that in his ear about all the money he can make if he waits, however, he is guaranteed a spot here with Brodeur likely on the way out (again 30 starting jobs, not many would pass up a guaranteed spot), not to mention he is very likely to get paid.  Marty has gotten his farewell, although I think its VERY likely that he swallows his pride and returns as a backup goalie next season for the Devils, essentially settling for 20-30 games as a backup and then retiring a Devil.  Marty is going to have a very difficult time finding a backup job in the league, let alone a starting job.