Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I didn't think Parnell had the cojones to be a major league closer...but so far so good

he got a blown save in Colorado because of the Tejada error. That was through no fault of his at all.

He's got a long way to go before he starts converting the non-beilevers, but this was going to be the year for him to show he could handle being a closer.  By the end of the season we should know if he'll be the closer in 2014. 

Disappointing to see Gee continue to be really bleh. He looks MUCH more like the not-good 2011 version as opposed to the new-and-improved 2012 one. It's still early, but:

2011: 1.61 K/BB, 1.01 HR/9, 47.4 GB%

2013: 1.73 K/BB, 1.47 HR/9, 47.2 FB%

Disappointing to see Gee continue to be really bleh. He looks MUCH more like the not-good 2011 version as opposed to the new-and-improved 2012 one. It's still early, but:

2011: 1.61 K/BB, 1.01 HR/9, 47.4 GB%

2013: 1.73 K/BB, 1.47 HR/9, 47.2 FB%

Only threw 70 pitches in five innings too...did he get hurt?

Has anyone see the numbers the Mets got out of CF and RF for the month of April? I knew it was bad but this is just BRUTAL.

CF: .188/.229/.301, -0.6 fWAR (28th out of 30 teams)

RF: .219/.295/.325, -0.4 fWAR (28th out of 30 teams)

Valdespin deserves an extended look in CF at this point. Cowgill, Kirk, and Lagares just aren't the answer. They rightfully sent Kirk down, now it's time to get rid of one of Cowgill or Lagares; they are redundant.

The Byrd: starting RF experiment is pretty much over, as he's been relegated to starting vs LHP only (his last start vs a RHP was 4/19 vs Strasburg). Baxter hasn't hit at all, but there's really nothing the team can do there other than keep running him out there and hope his fortune changes. Byrd is pretty useless in a short-side platoon role since his career splits vs LHP really aren't any good and they've worsened in recent years. Andrew Brown, who is tearing up AAA and can play some 1B, is a much better roster fit at this point.

Demote Cowgill, DFA Byrd. Bring up Brown and one of Lutz/Satin. Roll with Duda-Valdespin-Baxter vs RHP; Duda-Lagares-Brown, Satin/Lutz at 1B vs RHP.

No chance of happening, but hey, that's what I'd do.

Edited by nmigliore

Kind of amazing that the Mets aren't dead last in CF and RF play. 

Agree, might as well give Valdespin a look.  I know you're probably factoring this in, re:  Brown, but I'm sure the PCL is puffing up his numbers.

I know you're probably factoring this in, re:  Brown, but I'm sure the PCL is puffing up his numbers.

They are, but he has nearly 1000 career PA in AAA with a .935 OPS. His history vs LHP is also very strong. He can't be worse than Byrd or Cowgill.

They wouldn't do all of those moves, so ideally you demote Cowgill and just bring up Brown. By doing that you are at least giving yourself some options if you choose to take Ike out of the lineup vs LHP.

Let's be honest, there's absolutely no reason Turner should be playing 1B if/when you sit Ike vs a lefty (and Ike SHOULD sit vs all lefties, pretty much); with Brown and Duda on the roster you can go with one of them, with the other in the outfield.

Edited by nmigliore

Only threw 70 pitches in five innings too...did he get hurt?

There was nothing in the post-game news about him getting hurt, so, no. I guess TC just changed his mind after the AB with how poorly he was pitching. 

Gee had only thrown 70 pitches when Terry Collins lifted him with a one-run lead for the bottom of the sixth. That was an indication of how badly Gee was struggling with his control. Gee will get an extra day of rest before his next start because of Thursday’s team off-day, so there was no strict pitch limit on him. 

“I wasn’t really pleased with anything I did today,” Gee said after the 7-6 victory. “I’m happy the team won. We needed that. That was good. Everybody did a great job. But as far as I’m concerned, I actually almost feel bad for getting a win today.”

Edited by nmigliore

Gee is looking like the odd man out once Wheeler gets here...could he be effective out of the pen? He doesn't blow anyone away...

Well Marcum isn't a good bet to stay healthy and Hefner isn't a good bet to remain effective despite these last two starts, although his velocity has really ticked up, so that's something. As of right now, if everyone is healthy, I think Hefner is the one who goes to the bullpen; I just don't see much of a chance they'd pull the plug on Gee that fast.

But if Wheeler comes up sometime in June, the answer might be different. Who knows how things will be playing out at that time, especially if Gee's velocity/performance remain down.

Edited by nmigliore

By the way, another Met starter that bares watching: Jon Niese. He's pitched to a good ERA so far but that masked some ugly underlying numbers; his strikeout rate has plummeted below 5 per 9, his swinging strike rate is a career low, and his walks are up. His velocity is also down a bit. I'm certainly willing to give Niese the benefit of the doubt that it was just a rough month -- he did have to pitch in some horrible conditions in Minnesota and Colorado, don't forget -- but monitor him moving forward.

Edited by nmigliore

Well Marcum isn't a good bet to stay healthy and Hefner isn't a good bet to remain effective despite these last two starts, although his velocity has really ticked up, so that's something. As of right now, if everyone is healthy, I think Hefner is the one who goes to the bullpen; I just don't see much of a chance they'd pull the plug on Gee that fast.

But if Wheeler comes up sometime in June, the answer might be different. Who knows how things will be playing out at that time, especially if Gee's velocity/performance remain down.

Pretty much what I was going to say...kind of miraculous that 3 out of 5 Hefner starts have been very good, and even sadder that the Mets couldn't win any of them.  But who knows how long Hef can keep that up? 

If Gee struggles through May though, the situation bears watching.  I have no expectations as to when Wheeler may be coming up, and if he'll stick right away when does.  He seems like a real wild-card, as far as the immediate future goes.

Re:  Niese...yeah, Ks are way down, BB a bit up.  Last year was the first year he gave up less hits than IP, so that might have been flukey, but there's been pitchers who have been able to overcome the fact that they give up hits (Andy Pettitte), so I'm not worried about the hits allowed just yet.  Like you pointed out, bears watching...of course, if all goes according to plan (big if, as we know plans can fall apart in a hurry), he's probably a #3 or even a #4...which means he doesn't have to be that much more than he is right now, especially if he can finish seasons with ERAs somewhere between 3.50 and 4.00, and hopefully approach 200 IP. 

They are, but he has nearly 1000 career PA in AAA with a .935 OPS. His history vs LHP is also very strong. He can't be worse than Byrd or Cowgill.

They wouldn't do all of those moves, so ideally you demote Cowgill and just bring up Brown. By doing that you are at least giving yourself some options if you choose to take Ike out of the lineup vs LHP.

Let's be honest, there's absolutely no reason Turner should be playing 1B if/when you sit Ike vs a lefty (and Ike SHOULD sit vs all lefties, pretty much); with Brown and Duda on the roster you can go with one of them, with the other in the outfield.

Ha, looks like I got my wish. Brown is coming up, per Rubin. This is good; nice power bat to have on the bench, can play an OF corner or 1B vs LHP. He deserves a chance, he's got nothing left to prove in AAA. No word on who is being demoted, but it's probably Cowgill. 

Edited by nmigliore

Well, I forgot to mention the downside of Brown is he's not a good defensive outfielder, and this is the Mets outfield alignment tonight: Duda-Byrd-Brown. That's very cringe-worthy even if we had a sinkerballer on the mound. We don't; it's Shaun Marcum, the guy with the career groundball rate under 40%. And against the Braves, who have the highest batting flyball percentage in the NL. If Marcum gives up a bunch of flyball hits tonight, don't necessarily blame him; these guys can't cover any ground whatsoever.

Edited by nmigliore

Atlanta's bats have cooled off a bit of late. Granted usually they see the Mets and go nuts but there lineup seems very feast or famine. Either 0 runs and lots of K's, or 10 runs.

I would be thrilled if the Mets aren't swept. 

Well that's game. Mets bats have gone silent yet again. Jordan freakin' Schafer has gotten on more times than the ENTIRE Mets lineup has.

Edit: Aha, Byrd ties it with an opposite field shot, into the wind no less. Go figure.

Edited by nmigliore

I concede, he's been more clutch than usual this year

still have a bad feeling about this game, but the Mets have showed some late innings comeback ability

Who knew this team would hit so many home runs

Edited by '7'