Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

I actually agree that 16-8-1 is not setting the world on fire, and it would give the team a great chance of making the playoffs. But my questions remains the same. What makes you believe this is possible? If it's pure fandom that more power to you. Feel free to check my posts, I'm not a devils doubter, and I want the team to find as much success as possible - I'll cheer them on until the last day. I just want to make sure that we all realize what a monumential effort it will take from the current squad to win 2 of 3 (or better) for the rest of the year. As I mentioned before in this thread, I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm not totally convinved that people on this board truly understand what playing nearly .700 hockey is.

Well we've been running on a .568 points percentage (58 points in 51 games) clip since the 0-4-3 start.  We're 24-17-10 since then.  I don't think it's all that unreasonable to say that if they acquire just one proven scorer like Cammalleri, that we would have a better chance to run at the .650 clip needed in order to make the playoffs.  We would need about 32 points in the remaining 24 games.

If we make a significant trade, what the team did prior to the trade shouldn't matter anymore as a trade would mean we improved the team (assuming the trade doesn't backfire on us).

For example, the Kings in 2012 prior to acquiring Jeff Carter couldn't score at all.  Once they got Jeff Carter, everything they did prior to getting him became moot.

If they can acquire some scoring help, maybe you're right. It's not like we haven't seen Devils teams of the past rip off nice win streaks. I fully believe Cory will give them the goaltending they need but they're gonna have to score at some point. Not easy to play .650 hockey for this team, but doable. To play .650 hockey when every game is a 1-goal game? Borderline impossible.

Well we've been running on a .568 points percentage (58 points in 51 games) clip since the 0-4-3 start.  We're 24-17-10 since then.  I don't think it's all that unreasonable to say that if they acquire just one proven scorer like Cammalleri, that we would have a better chance to run at the .650 clip needed in order to make the playoffs.  We would need about 32 points in the remaining 24 games.

If we make a significant trade, what the team did prior to the trade shouldn't matter anymore as a trade would mean we improved the team (assuming the trade doesn't backfire on us).

For example, the Kings in 2012 prior to acquiring Jeff Carter couldn't score at all.  Once they got Jeff Carter, everything they did prior to getting him became moot.

You're picking 93 points, I've been saying 92.  We're about on the same page there.

There's ways to make the Devils' record look good and bad, depending on where one chooses to cherry-pick.  Devils are 12-6-7 in their last 25.  That's a .620 point%.  If you want to start with from where Schneider really and finally became the Devils #1 man in the net, they're 7-3-4 (.643).  But they're only 4-3-3 in their last 10. 

There's signs that point to the Devils being able to pull this off (favorable schedule, Schneider's play) but to get to .660 over an extended period, they have to keep the games where they blow potential points to a minimum.  They can't have a slump.  They also have to hope Schneider can somehow keep holding teams to less than two regulation goals per start, and that Marty can do enough to win half of his remaining starts. 

Funny thing is, if the Devils can just pull off over their remaining 24 games what they've done in their previous 25 (say 12-6-6), that will give them 91 points.  When you look at it from this standpoint, it doesn't seem so outlandish.  We'll find out if they're capable of it soon enough.

Cammalleri seems like a guy who's going to come in here and promptly not score.  He's also coming off a concussion.  I don't think he'll help much.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Few years ago we traded for one of the top scorer in the league and put him on a top of an better team than we have now already... Yet we lost in first round. Adding another guy doesnt necessarely make our team better.

We have so many inconsistant guys that extra scoring would simply score the goal our guys "should" have scored really.

The kings were also a team that people were looking at saying... What the hell is going on this team should be scoring a lot more... And you cant ignore that the coaching change made the differnce for them, not carter.

Were not a team that people are wondering why were not doing better, were getting what we should be getting out of a mediocre roster.

Devils are winning the Cup this year folks. I have seen the light and my faith has been restored.

I actually expect Lou to make a move or two after the break. Just a gut feeling.

Devils are winning the Cup this year folks. I have seen the light and my faith has been restored.

I actually expect Lou to make a move or two after the break. Just a gut feeling.

I don't think anyone really thinks they're winning the Cup, but they do have a shot at the playoffs if they can maintain what they've been doing for a while now, and if they get in, they might win a round or two if Cory plays at the top of his game. 

We'll know soon enough how much confidence Lou has in this group.  If he stands pat, probably not that much.

He wasn't going to the Oilers under any circumstances. Not to the Islanders. Same with the Panthers. If those teams seriously wanted CS they had more assets in which to deal from. Florida had the 2nd overall draft pick. Toronto traded for Bernier when Luongo was the frontrunner to be traded, albeit a week or so before CS was the one shipped out. Who knows? Maybe Toronto preferred Bernier over CS? Why didn't the Flyers deal for him while we're at it? 

Because you don't read about it on the internet before it happens, it's ridiculous? You don't remember reading about it for two very possible reasons. 1) Luongo was the one clearly on the move by June and the focus was on him. 2) You know Lamoriello. We all do. None of Lou's business ever reaches the media. But, besides all that, if Luongo had one foot already out the door, why would CS be mentioned at all going anywhere by anyone who knows anything, let alone to the Devils? 

Look, no one is saying this trade wasn't a coup, wasn't enormous and wasn't a steal. This trade was like Christmas morning. Lou isn't the only GM, HOF or not, that has a player fall into his lap for any number of reasons. 

I don't remember reading anyone speculating about it.  I know that Lou keeps things close to the vest and that his trades don't get out.  My point is that no one outside Lou's circle saw this coming.

I understand that if those teams wanted Schneider they probably could've gotten him, but the idea that he 'wasn't going to the Oilers' is ridiculous.  The Devils had to offer up a 9th overall pick to get him.  What if they were unwilling to do that?  You are living in a world where the Schneider trade definitely happens the way it happened and explaining how it happened through hindsight.

The Devils have enormous games coming out of the break with teams that are ahead of them. If they want any shot at the postseason, they have to win the majority of them, and hopefully in regulation. 

Cory is giving them a chance every game, if they score just two damn goals a night they are guaranteeing at least a point with how Schneider is playing.

I don't remember reading anyone speculating about it. I know that Lou keeps things close to the vest and that his trades don't get out. My point is that no one outside Lou's circle saw this coming.

I understand that if those teams wanted Schneider they probably could've gotten him, but the idea that he 'wasn't going to the Oilers' is ridiculous. The Devils had to offer up a 9th overall pick to get him. What if they were unwilling to do that? You are living in a world where the Schneider trade definitely happens the way it happened and explaining how it happened through hindsight.

nobody speculated about the trade at all, I don't know where RS is getting that from. There were hundred page long threads where people kept speculating if nichuskin would fall to us, but not one mention of Schneider. Like i said earlier there were many who were stunned on here that we didn't draft a forward prospect.

But overall my problem with not giving Lou credit for the trade is you know if Schneider doesn't re-sign, people are going to absolutely crucify Lou for giving up the pick for 2 years of Schneider. You can't be willing to blame Lou if the trade goes bad but not give him credit if it works out.

Edited by dmann422

nobody speculated about the trade at all, I don't know where RS is getting that from. There were hundred page long threads where people kept speculating if nichuskin would fall to us, but not one mention of Schneider. Like i said earlier there were many who were stunned on here that we didn't draft a forward prospect.

But overall my problem with not giving Lou credit for the trade is you know if Schneider doesn't re-sign, people are going to absolutely crucify Lou for giving up the pick for 2 years of Schneider. You can't be willing to blame Lou if the trade goes bad but not give him credit if it works out.

People only realize when you fvck up your job rather than when you're doing your job.  Schneider is actually another reason why we shouldn't go in rebuild mode.  Why would a GM trade a high draft pick for a player who's going to be a UFA just after 2 seasons with the team if he was trying to rebuild?  Granted Lou could always trade Schneider if he wanted to.  But if Vancouver could only muster one first round pick for guy with 2 years left on his contract, how much can we expect Lou to get for him with one year left on his contract?

Where did i say the word speculate in my post? Triumph said that word, i.e. where he didn't remember anyone speculating about it (CS to the Devils) and he's right. No one ever did because no one who had any cred honestly thought that CS was the one being traded. By June, Luongo had one foot out the door toe dragging the other. If Lou had any interest in CS from the week of the draft onward it's not going to be public knowledge for discussion like anything else he does. 

Lou had less then a handful of teams to compete against at best and the only other serious suitor was Edmonton. Lou didn't have to offer more then the pick because he had no other team upping the ante on him. It was a coup and robbery and sometimes GM's of any stature fall into a player like this due to the market or any number of things.

Edited by TheRedStorm

People only realize when you fvck up your job rather than when you're doing your job.  Schneider is actually another reason why we shouldn't go in rebuild mode.  Why would a GM trade a high draft pick for a player who's going to be a UFA just after 2 seasons with the team if he was trying to rebuild?  Granted Lou could always trade Schneider if he wanted to.  But if Vancouver could only muster one first round pick for guy with 2 years left on his contract, how much can we expect Lou to get for him with one year left on his contract?

CS is a cornerstone, but he's not going to do it on his own. This team needs help. When a soon to be 42 year old on a one year deal is your best player, you've got problems. As 118 said, you're not looking at this realistically once again. This roster is ripe with depth that is ideal to go to playoff teams and contenders. It's the perfect situation to take a step back to go forward. Remember, the cap is going up too. Dumping a contract off and making room to take another is there. 

There are underachieving teams that need a boost to solidify a playoff spot or get in. The Devils are not one of those. The only reason they even have hope is because they're a East/Metro squad. The Devils are what they are and you see it every game. The credit to them is they play hard and compete, but they do not have enough offensively that one trade for Cammalieri will solve. This team needs a legit  top 3-6 skilled forward with speed first (and they don't grow on trees)  THEN you can deal for the Cammalieri's of the league. 

Gillis wasn't getting more for CS last June because there was no teams running up the ante on one another competing for him. If there was, perhaps Lou wasn't making that deal unless he was dead set on CS even if it meant Merrill, Gelinas or Larrson, Matteau...whatever. That we just don't know.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Where did i say the word speculate in my post? Triumph said that word, i.e. where he didn't remember anyone speculating about it (CS to the Devils) and he's right. No one ever did because no one who had any cred honestly thought that CS was the one being traded. By June, Luongo had one foot out the door toe dragging the other. If Lou had any interest in CS from the week of the draft onward it's not going to be public knowledge for discussion like anything else he does. 

Lou had less then a handful of teams to compete against at best and the only other serious suitor was Edmonton. Lou didn't have to offer more then the pick because he had no other team upping the ante on him. It was a coup and robbery and sometimes GM's of any stature fall into a player like this due to the market or any number of things.

sorry I shouldn't have said speculate but you made it seem like it was obvious one of the flyers Edmonton or us were going to get him. I guess you've cleared it up but I still can't understand how the trade just fell into his lap... The argument that only a handful of teams were competing for CS could be said of just about any trade- if we put jägr on the block after the Olympic break I'm sure there will only be a handful of teams interested.

Trades don't just happen, and by saying it fell into his lap you are making it sound like it was a no-brainer with no risk involved, when in fact if Cory leaves next year we'll spend the next decade grimacing watching nichuskin turn into a top line winger.

I can't recall an instance in recent memory where the Devils were "sellers". Have they ever outright just started dumping salary? Seems to me as long as they are close enough to make a run at the playoffs, there will be no mass exodus.

There may be trades but it won't be to dump people, it will be to bring value back and try to close the 5 point gap (as of last night, last nights games may make that number different).

I can't recall an instance in recent memory where the Devils were "sellers". Have they ever outright just started dumping salary? Seems to me as long as they are close enough to make a run at the playoffs, there will be no mass exodus.

There may be trades but it won't be to dump people, it will be to bring value back and try to close the 5 point gap (as of last night, last nights games may make that number different).

In 2011 we dumped Langs and Arnott- that's the last time we were truly 'sellers'.

does either side do taylor hall for larsson and henrique?

for an oilers team that is trying to find an identity and has all the offensive talent and the devils who need to find someone who is an absolute proven scorer.

i think this trade makes sense for both teams. and i'm high on larsson obviously but taylor hall is really good.

for an oilers team that is trying to find an identity and has all the offensive talent and the devils who need to find someone who is an absolute proven scorer.

i think this trade makes sense for both teams. and i'm high on larsson obviously but taylor hall is really good.

I think I'd pull the trigger on that if it was offered. That would be a good move for both teams.

And I love Larsson, but you have to give to get.

I'd be hesitant throwing Henrique in there. Cause we'd gain a proven scorer who could bring 30 goals on a regular basis, but we'd also lose about 15-20 goals per season in Henrique... gaining an extra 10-15 goals while throwing a top dman at the same time... not sure

i'd do Larsson + something else than another scoring forward for Hall though. In a heartbeat.

Edited by SterioDesign

I'd be hesitant throwing Henrique in there. Cause we'd gain a proven scorer who could bring 30 goals on a regular basis, but we'd also lose about 15-20 goals per season in Henrique... gaining an extra 10-15 goals while throwing a top dman at the same time... not sure

i'd do Larsson + something else than another scoring forward for Hall though. In a heartbeat.

Larsson, Boucher, Brunner for Hall? I doubt that would get it done though.