Was gifted a jersey

Sneax

For me that wouldn't be a very difficult decision. I have jerseys that I wear to the game and this probably wouldn't be one of them. However, I would NOT tear it apart out of as respect for the thought that was invested in the jersey. I would feel like a complete douchebag even if the person that gifted it didn't find out.

I'd totally wear it around the house without shame and be thankful that someone actually put some thought and effort into a present.

However, every person is different. Do what you think is right.

I agree.  Sneax, wear it around the house and maybe around the person that gave it to you if you're not comfortable wearing it to a game, but seriously, who gives a fvck what people think anyway, really?  What do you think, people are going to come up to you and knock you for wearing a jersey that clearly isn't a player on the team?  No one's going to point you out and cry "JERSEY FOUL!"  And I would think most Devils fans would be a lot more concerned with the actual event on the ice than deciding what jerseys are worthy of being worn at Devils games.  Do what YOU want to do...once you stop giving a sh!t about what other people think, life is incredibly simpler and liberating.       

I see lots of jerseys at games:  old ones, new ones, authentics, replicas, throwbacks, Rockies, Scouts, knockoffs, non-personalized, good and accurate lettering, bad and inaccurate letting, fans with their own names and number of their choice on the back.  I go the authentic route with actual player names myself, but if I see some guy wearing a "SMITH #69" jersey, I'm not thinking to myself "Geez, what a loser, I'd never be caught dead in that thing."  If it makes him happy, all the more power to him.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I agree.  Sneax, wear it around the house and maybe around the person that gave it to you if you're not comfortable wearing it to a game, but seriously, who gives a fvck what people think anyway, really?  What do you think, people are going to come up to you and knock you for wearing a jersey that clearly isn't a player on the team?  No one's going to point you out and cry "JERSEY FOUL!"  And I would think most Devils fans would be a lot more concerned with the actual event on the ice than deciding what jerseys are worthy of being worn at Devils games.  Do what YOU want to do...once you stop giving a sh!t about what other people think, life is incredibly simpler and liberating.       

I see lots of jerseys at games:  old ones, new ones, authentics, replicas, throwbacks, Rockies, Scouts, knockoffs, non-personalized, good and accurate lettering, bad and inaccurate letting, fans with their own names and number of their choice on the back.  I go the authentic route with actual player names myself, but if I see some guy wearing a "SMITH #69" jersey, I'm not thinking to myself "Geez, what a loser, I'd never be caught dead in that thing."  If it makes him happy, all the more power to him.   

Having your own last name and number on the back is fine.

However, I wouldn't be caught dead having "Rangerssuckov" on mine like I have seen someone wear before.

Stop caring about what strangers you will probably never talk to think about you and your jersey. Problem solved.

Yup totally agree.. Growing up I always wanted to play for the Mets so I saved up one year and got a jersey with my name on the back.. One or 2 people told me it was dumb so I never wore it again and wasted all that money

Now I have my Colin 226 jersey to represent my section and I love it.. Though it's heavy so I don't wear it as much, I could care less what other people think.. I've seen many other people with names on the back of jerseys who I definitely don't recognize, so do you man and don't worry what other people think

This, pretty much. 

Whoever gave it to you put thought and money into getting you a gift. Who gives a damn what a bunch of people think, first off. Secondly, I've seen plenty of people with their names on jerseys and never even gave it a second thought. They are all over the Rock if you look around. The fact that you haven't even noticed them pretty much answers your question. 

I got a jersey with my name on it. When the Wild first released their jersey, it was before they'd signed or drafted any players, so I just got my name and football number on it. It's not a big deal. I think in your case, it's more the thought that counts.

Just got a jersey from a family member, it has my last name on it and an 01.

Personally I can't wear it, I've never seen a single person at a hockey game with their own name on their jersey. And it seems ultra douchey. What would you guys do, I can't change the name because if she ever finds out she will get upset. Do you wear it to games if you were me? Do you use it for game watching at home or do you leave the blasphemous item in the closet.

the name is OK but the 01 part is kind of odd.

Last few posts here sum it up real well, CR1976 and Devil Dan especially (that seems to be the case with you two so often - stop being so damn rational and logical all the time, you're making the rest of us look bad!)

It's a pretty creative and nice gift (I'd be floored if someone actually got that for me), wear it around the house at least.

Even if you're not comfortable wearing it out now, keep it around. One day your outlook might change and you'll think it's pretty cool that you have it.

This guy has never been shy about rockin' his personalized Devils jersey! 

Edited by 95Crash

Wear it or change the name if you're that self conscious about what other people won't even say to you.

Stashing it in the closet is probably the most disrespectful thing you can do.  "Hey, I'm ok with you wasting your time and money on something I'll never even attempt to use.  And when you ask, I'm going to lie to you about it!"

Just got my 2 yr old daughter her own jersey with her fist name and day she was born on the back.  Who gives a rats fuzzy ass who's name is on the back, you should be proud of your name anyway.  Its not high school.

Personally, my rule for your own last name on a jersey is it's ok until you're older than 10-12 because when you're a kid, it's cool to think about being on the team yourself and all that. When you get a bit older, it just seems weird and a bit narcissistic.

So it's weird for a 40yr old man to have a jersey of his favorite team with his own name on the back, but it isn't weird for a 40yr old man to wear a jersey with the name of an 18yr old boy on the back?

I am neither a 40yr old man or someone with their own name on the back of their jersey.  Just an interesting question.

• Like 1

When someone is recognized for a special event the Devils give them a sweater with their name on it.  They drop the ceremonial puck and leave.  If they wear this sweater again that would make them something less than a fan?  I won't use the language posted.

It is horrendous to read this forum and see one fan call another fan names because they don't agree with them.  Terrible posters, awful posts and the such.  Mocking fans makes the person doing the mocking not less of a fan but less of a human being imo. 

Why is it okay for some posters to vent yet others are reprimanded?  No wonder many of the original posters have left.

Wait it out for now, and show your appreciation for the gift, ultimately that's what counts. After awhile, when the moment has long worn out, you can tell her something like, "I don't like people shouting our last name in public and taunting us, I am going to get the jersey changed to a player but I want you to know the gift is very special to me, as are you." Follow that up with a hug and you have fixed the situation with everyone feeling swell.

When someone is recognized for a special event the Devils give them a sweater with their name on it. They drop the ceremonial puck and leave. If they wear this sweater again that would make them something less than a fan? I won't use the language posted.

It is horrendous to read this forum and see one fan call another fan names because they don't agree with them. Terrible posters, awful posts and the such. Mocking fans makes the person doing the mocking not less of a fan but less of a human being imo.

Why is it okay for some posters to vent yet others are reprimanded? No wonder many of the original posters have left.

I read this and thought that maybe it was aimed at my comment.

But really where did this happen in this thread?