NSFW: Cam Janssen interview

Mayday

Kinda know how this will turn out.

Like others have noted, once the mainstream media gets a hold of this, it will turn into the "who can act the most offended/outraged" contest among the journalists and television media, especially when individual quotes are stripped of their context and made to sound much worse than they were ever intended to. And if the NHL is going to want to make an example of someone for comments he made that some will deem inappropriate/offensive/prejudiced/etc., they've got the ideal whipping boy in Cam...they won't have any fear of coming down on him hard.

Lou ain't gonna like this one bit.

This is total bullsh!t. It's not like he was talking about gay bashing he was talking about trash talking during games. While Cam is an asskicker in this sequence he was talking about figurative asskicking. Cam gave an uncensored interview which was great but of course now people are going to take this the wrong way and go on a homophobic rant about why players can't come out of the closet. Who cares? It's the NHL. It's ice hockey. It's not the pick your sex partner games...

Did anyone else get a bad vibe from the last two minutes of that interview? Like maybe it was the sort of thing Belak, Boogaard, or Rypien might have said?

God, I hope I'm WWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY off on that.

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

I heard ticket sales from the Southern teams just went up 50%. :lol:

Magnificant Cam, pure YouTube genius. I would love to see him in a bar drunk, that would be entertainment

A work buddy did actually meet him in a bar drunk. He asked to buy him a shot and take a pic with him.

Cam said no... "I'm Cam Janssen... shots are on me." He was thrilled. :)

This is total bullsh!t. It's not like he was talking about gay bashing he was talking about trash talking during games. While Cam is an asskicker in this sequence he was talking about figurative asskicking. Cam gave an uncensored interview which was great but of course now people are going to take this the wrong way and go on a homophobic rant about why players can't come out of the closet. Who cares? It's the NHL. It's ice hockey. It's not the pick your sex partner games...

But you know how this works. How many times have you kid around with a buddy and said something like "Oh please, you're such a f*g!" and not meant anything remotely homophobic by it? But certain "zero tolerance, zero thought" groups, even though they know better, act like that kind of joking around like this isn't really joking, and right away the guy who said the comment is anti-gay and uttered an anti-gay slur, and needs to undergo tolerance and sensitivity training. That's where the real joke lies.

What's sad is the sensitivity thought police are winning (or have pretty much won)...I think most level-headed people will hear what Cam said and say, "Yeah, some of what he said was pretty funny, but IN TODAY'S WORLD you really have to watch what you say." So even though most people are smart enough to know what he was going for, the much louder "let me get up in arms about everything that offends me" crowd will have the final say. And yet another guy who dared to be human and say things a lot of people say in a variety of settings when they are simply being themselves will be made an example.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So to get off the PR police thread...

I would have like to heard his honest thoughts of how its like to be in a Stanley Cup playoffs... in a deep run... as a healthy scratch. Do teammates rib you? How hard are you playing on the ice at practice... etc I know the bullsh!t tv replies... but it would have been nice to get an unfiltered answer.

He's smart enough to know we are his meal ticket as it's clear he's incredibly grateful to NJ... but he very clearly misses STL... and not just because he's on a STL podcast.

Did anyone else get a bad vibe from the last two minutes of that interview? Like maybe it was the sort of thing Belak, Boogaard, or Rypien might have said?

YES. Immediately. It seemed like his inner dark side was being expressed. It was scary for a minute. I hope he was just clowning around, but it seemed like he was talking from personal convictions.

Hopefully it is nothing...

BUT...

That was the BEST and MOST.UN-DEVIL-LIKE.INTERVIEW.EVER!

How long until we hear Cam is waived?!?

I would have like to heard his honest thoughts of how its like to be in a Stanley Cup playoffs... in a deep run... as a healthy scratch. Do teammates rib you? How hard are you playing on the ice at practice... etc I know the bullsh!t tv replies... but it would have been nice to get an unfiltered answer.

He's smart enough to know we are his meal ticket as it's clear he's incredibly grateful to NJ... but he very clearly misses STL... and not just because he's on a STL podcast.

I was hoping they would touch on that as well. The guys asked him questions as if he played the whole run. Cam was answering the questions like he did also....

YES. Immediately. It seemed like his inner dark side was being expressed. It was scary for a minute. I hope he was just clowning around, but it seemed like he was talking from personal convictions.

Hopefully it is nothing...

I don't think we saw his dark side. I took what he said as that he gets depressed when he's being a bum on the couch and just hanging out and partying instead of working out and trying to get better. The majority of people who work out, feel better afterwards. That's what I thought he was saying.

Edited by Satans Hockey

The interviewers themselves sucked. It was fun hearing 'Professional Athlete: Uncut and Unfiltered', but there were some great questions that could have been asked especially how open and comfortable Cam seemed to be on the show. I would have liked to know his opinion on fighting in general and the deaths last off-season.

Edited by devilsrule33

The interview itself sucked. It was fun hearing 'Professional Athlete: Uncut and Unfiltered', but there were some great questions that could have been asked especially how open and comfortable Cam seemed to be on the show. I would have liked to know his opinion on fighting in general and the deaths last off-season.

Agreed... but they were definitely keeping it lighter and bro-talkish... Which is really likely the reason they didn't talk about his lack of playing, fighting related injuries, death, etc... He even gave them a great in... when he talked about being punch drunk and not just swallowing fists.

DIG, I was thinking the same thing with his comment about deppresion and think how many times he has had head tauma from fights, hits.. Again I hope you and I are wrong, but scary sh!t non the less!

people are too sensitive to everything now, its just annoying... whats said/done on the ice is USUALLY kept on there... im sure MANY a-player have made fun of marty for his infidelity and what not... such is life, we all need MORE of a sense of humor in this world...

anyway! I enjoyed it, it wasn't a typical blah blah interview where they discussed on ice stuff (which is fine) but it was a bit about Cam himself, which in my opinion, is WAY more interesting. I mean, hes not a great skater and i DO cringe if hes on the ice during certain times, but he is a fan favorite, and as Devil fans, we can all say we love the dude for his attitude and his commitment to the Devils.

Moving on from kicking the cock-sucker's ass comment for a moment, it was amazing how many sides you saw of Cam and maybe 'the fighter' in general. I don't want to call it bi-polar, but there was a lot of crazy stuff from when he is fighting to not fighting. The depression stuff is certainly something that needs to be taken care of. After everything that is happened with Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak. When a player in his role said he gets depressed for whatever reason, the Devils and the league should look into it.

I don't know what it is, but these fighters seem like characters from the movie "The Wrestler". That rush of fighting and the crowd response, the teammates response, how it makes them feel, etc is such an incredible rush, and when it isn't there or they don't feel like they can help, how useless they feel. At the same time, you see the stress from guys like Cam from year-to-year just getting an NHL contract and the work that needs to be done to continue to be good at your role. There is no way someone like him can remake his game like a former scorer to a checker. He has to continue to fight. There is nothing else. And perhaps he doesn't want to anymore. But that's the only way he gets another contract. Now I am thinking that is why guys like Peters or Boulton stopped fighting when they got to NJ. Having two years security was so valuable to them that they felt they could loosen the rope on their role. They didn't have to go out and do something they maybe hate just to survive for another year.

All I know is the more and more layers that are peeled back, the more fvcking dark and fvcked up this role in hockey is.

As for doing the interview..this is why Lou doesn't allow this stuff. Even though we got a few great tidbits, he still seemed like a douche for a lot of the time and felt comfortable and relaxed enough to say some comments that could hurt his career. Once again, that is the reason not to do these kind of interviews. But if Cam needs help and can get help, maybe this interview is a positive. He said when he feels down, he needs it because it motivates him, but what happens when he doesn't play or doesn't get an NHL contract, or is sent to the minors? What then?

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 2

I don't think he said he would kick a fags ass, I believe he clearly stated he would kick a cock suckers ass. Not all cock suckers are gay. dontknow.gif

Oh and he also didn't say he's targeting anyones head, he sed if they don't keep their head up, he'll hurt 'em. COMPLETELY legit statement.

moosegrin.gif

Moving on from kicking the cock-sucker's ass comment for a moment, it was amazing how many sides you saw of Cam and maybe 'the fighter' in general. I don't want to call it bi-polar, but there was a lot of crazy stuff from when he is fighting to not fighting. The depression stuff is certainly something that needs to be taken care of. After everything that is happened with Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak. When a player in his role said he gets depressed for whatever reason, the Devils and the league should look into it.

I don't know what it is, but these fighters seem like characters from the movie "The Wrestler". That rush of fighting and the crowd response, the teammates response, how it makes them feel, etc is such an incredible rush, and when it isn't there or they don't feel like they can help, how useless they feel. At the same time, you see the stress from guys like Cam from year-to-year just getting an NHL contract and the work that needs to be done to continue to be good at your role. There is no way someone like him can remake his game like a former scorer to a checker. He has to continue to fight. There is nothing else. And perhaps he doesn't want to anymore. But that's the only way he gets another contract. Now I am thinking that is why guys like Peters or Boulton stopped fighting when they got to NJ. Having two years security was so valuable to them that they felt they could loosen the rope on their role. They didn't have to go out and do something they maybe hate just to survive for another year.

All I know is the more and more layers that are peeled back, the more fvcking dark and fvcked up this role in hockey is.

As for doing the interview..this is why Lou doesn't allow this stuff. Even though we got a few great tidbits, he still seemed like a douche for a lot of the time and felt comfortable and relaxed enough to say some comments that could hurt his career. Once again, that is the reason not to do these kind of interviews. But if Cam needs help and can get help, maybe this interview is a positive. He said when he feels down, he needs it because it motivates him, but what happens when he doesn't play or doesn't get an NHL contract, or is sent to the minors? What then?

Excellent post.