Can Scott Stevens teach the New Jersey Devils how to win again?

nyrsuck26

I, too, am excited that Stevens has a coaching role for the Devils, but I think it's good to put it all in perspective. He's not going to be a savior and he's not patrolling the blue line anymore. The notion that he's going to "teach the Devils how to win again" is fantasy. Fantasies are fun ... then reality crashes the party.

I've been at the forefront of defending the re-hiring of Lemaire, believing that there's no way he'll bring back the exact same system that he implemented in the mid-'90s. But a couple of these quotes from Scotty kinda have me scared.

"I believe in Jacques' system, so I think it will be a learning experience for me once again. I'm excited about that. We believe in the same system and the same things and we had success with that system and those ideas."
"That's always been the best part of Devils hockey. We have to make sure that's our best part, playing well defensively both the defensemen and forwards doing the job. We have to try to create turnovers on the transition. Create offense that way. We want to score goals and we have guys who can score goals, but we have to respect our own end and do a good job in that area."

Is it just me, or does it sound like Stevens looks forward to getting the Devils back to that extinct brand of hockey? Maybe I'm trying too hard to read between the lines.

I've been at the forefront of defending the re-hiring of Lemaire, believing that there's no way he'll bring back the exact same system that he implemented in the mid-'90s. But a couple of these quotes from Scotty kinda have me scared.

Is it just me, or does it sound like Stevens looks forward to getting the Devils back to that extinct brand of hockey? Maybe I'm trying too hard to read between the lines.

I was afraid of that too. The good news is Stevens isn't in charge. I hope that Lemaire is smart enough not to go back to the trap, even if Stevens likes it. Best case scenario Lemaire and Stevens add defensive accountability without changing the offensive stuff that worked.

I'm not going to pretend like I know how good of a coach Scott Stevens will be, but this is another backwards looking move by Lou. A philosophy that I am not the biggest fan of. Hopefully it will work though since some guys have played with Scott before and respect him wholeheartedly.

You can't deny that leadership is one of the most important characteristics in a coach, and we all know Stevens has that in spades. He can learn the X's and O's before becoming experienced enough in that game to get a head coaching job

I'm not going to pretend like I know how good of a coach Scott Stevens will be, but this is another backwards looking move by Lou. A philosophy that I am not the biggest fan of. Hopefully it will work though since some guys have played with Scott before and respect him wholeheartedly.

while i don't think scott stevens will have a large impact on this team at all, i also fail to see how it's a 'backwards looking' move. every coaching hire would be a backwards looking move in this regard.

If Great One cant help Phoenix win, why would we expect that Scotty can? That being said, I couldn't be happier than to have him with the team. But he cant get out there with them.

Because IMO Gretzky was just super talented furthermore he was not a Coyote.

# 4 Bleeds the Red and Black and if any of his heart and devotion can have an effect on even one young guy it can carry on his legacy.