NJDevs' Devils Retrospect: How in the world did we get Zach Parise

devilsrule33

Perry can also run through a wall to score a goal and can score from above the circles. Parise cannot. Zach is the little engine that almost could. Very good player but has limitations on the offensive side of things.

Parise: 502 games 194-216-410 0.82 PPG

Perry: 530 games 205-224-429 0.81 PPG

And that's with the added benefit of playing with a guy who you think is better than Parise, so that must mean 2x better than Zajac. And that's also with the added benefit of playing with great PP players like Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne etc.

Parise: 502 games 194-216-410 0.82 PPG

Perry: 530 games 205-224-429 0.81 PPG

And that's with the added benefit of playing with a guy who you think is better than Parise, so that must mean 2x better than Zajac. And that's also with the added benefit of playing with great PP players like Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne etc.

I'm not even looking at their numbers. I'm only considering their physical talents. Zach's numbers would be better if he was physically stronger. It's funny how it comes back to the original knock on him from the draft. Which still he's an awesome player. He's just not better than the other two players.

I'm not even looking at their numbers. I'm only considering their physical talents. Zach's numbers would be better if he was physically stronger. It's funny how it comes back to the original knock on him from the draft. Which still he's an awesome player. He's just not better than the other two players.

Come on...everyone would be better if they were stronger. Zach Parise has far outperformed any concern or knock about him pre-draft. The knock was thinking he'd look like Tedenby out there or something.

Edited by devilsrule33

Zach is strong. He's excellent at getting the puck off other players and keeping it by himself. He just doesn't have a very good shot. He's better than Corey Perry.

Come on...everyone would be better if they were stronger. Zach Parise has far outperformed any concern or knock about him pre-draft. The knock was thinking he'd look like Tedenby out there or something.

I never thought of it like a Tedenby like comparison myself. But, I can see that. Zach has defied that. Perry on the other hand is able to muscle his way to the net in cases where Zach cannot.

Zach is strong. He's excellent at getting the puck off other players and keeping it by himself. He just doesn't have a very good shot. He's better than Corey Perry.

Corey Perry can do this as well. He can also bulldoze his way to the net to score. He can also score from anywhere on the ice. He also can stick up for his teammates by punching someone in the face. Perry is the better player.

He's dead to me.

Perry can also run through a wall to score a goal and can score from above the circles. Parise cannot. Zach is the little engine that almost could. Very good player but has limitations on the offensive side of things.

He's dead to me I tell you...

Corey Perry can do this as well. He can also bulldoze his way to the net to score. He can also score from anywhere on the ice. He also can stick up for his teammates by punching someone in the face. Perry is the better player.

If Perry's the better player, he should have substantially more goals/game than Parise. He doesn't. His 'skills' aren't worth more than what Parise can do. And that's why evaluating players by 'skill' is misguided and leads people to conclude that players like Kovalchuk and Nash are better than people like Parise. Sometimes it's not about pure skill, it's about what happens on the ice.

If Perry's the better player, he should have substantially more goals/game than Parise. He doesn't. His 'skills' aren't worth more than what Parise can do. And that's why evaluating players by 'skill' is misguided and leads people to conclude that players like Kovalchuk and Nash are better than people like Parise. Sometimes it's not about pure skill, it's about what happens on the ice.

I agree on Perry who is one of the streakiest players in the last few years. I think Kovalchuk is definitely a top ten forward in this league due to his play making abilities. He is not just a big shot and his improved defense and leadership he showed this past season makes him very valuable. When you have guys like Brodeur and Clarkson saying he is one of the best teammates they ever had really says something.

Edited by Zubie#8

This is coming from the statman himself... touche, but I don't agree. I like Perry's intangibles better. Perry will grab the bull by the balls and win it for you... Zach is limited offensively and thus he can not grab those proverbial balls.

I agree on Perry who is one of the streakiest players in the last few years. I think Kovalchuk is definitely a top ten forward in this league due to his play making abilities. He is not just a big shot and his improved defense and leadership he showed this past season makes him very valuable. When you have guys like Brodeur and Clarkson saying he is one of the best teammates they ever had really says something.

Kovy is a talented player so he will at times make a playmaking type play because of that talent but he is not a playmaker. When he is at his best he is a shoot-first player. He got away from that playing with Parise and I think will get back to that now that he is gone and I think he will score more goals.

This is coming from the statman himself... touche, but I don't agree. I like Perry's intangibles better. Perry will grab the bull by the balls and win it for you... Zach is limited offensively and thus he can not grab those proverbial balls.

Stats are literally about things that happen on the ice. I don't make up numbers that count great locker room speeches, statements to the media, or anything like that. Stats measure on-ice events. And in on-ice events, Perry is not a demonstrably better scorer than Parise. So Perry can have the great shot, or 'take the game by the balls' or whatever, but I'll take Parise.

Edited by Triumph

Stats are literally about things that happen on the ice. I don't make up numbers that count great locker room speeches, statements to the media, or anything like that. Stats measure on-ice events. And in on-ice events, Perry is not a demonstrably better scorer than Parise. So Perry can have the great shot, or 'take the game by the balls' or whatever, but I'll take Parise.

He has a 50 goal season with his top centerman on the shelf for some time and a Hart trophy to boot. Those are some stats... Parise big year he had himself great chemistry with his linemates and got help the whole year... Perry carried his team for some time.