NJDevs FHL Season #9 is underway!

NJDevs4978

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to upgrade at C and G, have offensive defensemen available as well. It'd be nice if there weren't already at least three dead teams going by last league activity (lessens the trading pool) :P

Maybe it really is time to go to weekly matchups for next year since it seems to be the only way to ensure more than 8-10 teams stay active, but I don't want to do that kind of league (especially since another one's already cropped up here). Then again I am doing matchups in another free league and that doesn't seem to be very active either. If I am still running this one next year we aren't having any more than 16 teams, and perhaps less.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Looking to upgrade at C and G, have offensive defensemen available as well. It'd be nice if there weren't already at least three dead teams going by last league activity (lessens the trading pool) :P

Maybe it really is time to go to weekly matchups for next year since it seems to be the only way to ensure more than 8-10 teams stay active, but I don't want to do that kind of league (especially since another one's already cropped up here).

It should defintely be scaled down to those who stay active (16 or maybe even 12)... but I like having one team in this format. It's less day to day involved, more long term scope planning - how a GM would think about the team if he didn't have to worry about drafting and development :D

If we scale down, I think we should expand the roster size (add a 3rd line, 2nd goalie) to keep the talent search comparable.

Sworn Defenders have an NJ Exodus... sending Patrik Elias, Martin Brodeur and Valtteri Filppula to the New Jersey Swamps (fitting) for Eric Staal and Mathieu Garon and a free agent pickup of Thomas Kaberle.

We hope Eric Staal cheers up and gets back to his scoring ways.

Edited by aylbert

The only reason I don't want two goalies is the game limit corresponds with position, two goalie spots would mean a 164-game limit, and I think teams would really hoard two goalies, or add-drop daily since it would be near impossible to reach the game limit. I do agree with you on having one of each league.

Now that we've done a trade, anyone want Hiller? Need a starting C in return.

lol that's about half his season total of points. I figured he wasn't finishing at a -32 and he'd pick it up when his brother got back, but I did need Elias more - my LW2 was a total black hole all year.

In general, wings have been a real problem for me, among other things. At least picking up Horton and getting Hemsky back should help at RW, which has been a total disaster without Carter. Now without Staal, I probably have to shift Carter over to C after getting my GP more in line with what it should be at both C and RW, even with Filppula also slated for my other starting C spot. Hopefully all the new blood pumps life in my offense.

Probably should have had more faith in the Moose tonight but I did think the Devils were getting curbstomped, especially after the first :P Plus I'm theoretically over my game limits if I'm just planning on playing Devil goalies the rest of the season (and as long as I have Hiller I probably have to spot him in too). My goaltending's also blown up on me after a good start so hopefully the Devils do pick it up, since I'm more or less riding their wagon there now :)

Edited by NJDevs4978

even with Filppula also slated for my other starting C spot. Hopefully all the new blood pumps life in my offense...

...so hopefully the Devils do pick it up, since I'm more or less riding their wagon there now :)

I wasn't using Fippula correctly... I couldn't decide right between Hornqvist and Fippula as my utility... so I resolved the situation by trading depth for a consistent superstar who is slumping in Staal. I think I overpaid... especially knowing that I could of gotten Giroux for cheaper, but I really need some more faceoff wins and really have faith that Carolina will pick it up.

My defense is actually doing surprisingly well (Edler-Letang-Timonen)... if Kaberle picks it up, I think I have the best fantasy D a team could realistically ask for... Also Quick's quick start (since cooled down) has helped out.

Besides the newly transferred Pineys, I have the least amount of games used... so I feel pretty good where I am in the standings (T-3)

Can someone please explain to me how the fvck PIM's are a good thing? In every other fantasy hockey league I have done, we either do not count it or if we do the lower the PIM is, the better your score is. Are we going to start rewarding lengths of suspensions of our players too?

thats what I said!@!!

Anyone have a RW they r willing to trade?? I have c & LWs available...

Can someone please explain to me how the fvck PIM's are a good thing? In every other fantasy hockey league I have done, we either do not count it or if we do the lower the PIM is, the better your score is. Are we going to start rewarding lengths of suspensions of our players too?

And again, when I did take them out a couple years ago, it was very unpopular. I'm personally on the having no PIM side myself (since there are good and bad penalties, they cancel out), but was told it was a staple of all fantasy leagues, it's a non-scoring category that can give you points, etc.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yahoo has always counted PIM's as a positive. It makes pugilist relevent for fighting and energy penalties... like interference, roughing, cross checking... things that aren't legal, buit the big hit, etc energizes your team. Also, it rewards "good" penalties like tripping a guy who would have been on a clean break, etc.

Of course, there are a lot of dumb, lazy penalties... with the same valid arguements. Players get caught of position and trip their opponent... they aren't smart and take too many steps gunning for someone, etc.

I fall on the pro PIM side... because there isn't a way to classify "good" penalties vs "bad" penalaties... and if you reward players for having low PIM, you diminish the value of the physical players compared to the skilled players who avoid situations where they could be called for interpretations on how/when they hit a player, got in a fight, etc. Plus, its a good wildcard when your player went apesh!t and got tossed from the game with a long list of penalties :)

Yahoo has always counted PIM's as a positive. It makes pugilist relevent for fighting and energy penalties... like interference, roughing, cross checking... things that aren't legal, buit the big hit, etc energizes your team. Also, it rewards "good" penalties like tripping a guy who would have been on a clean break, etc.

Of course, there are a lot of dumb, lazy penalties... with the same valid arguements. Players get caught of position and trip their opponent... they aren't smart and take too many steps gunning for someone, etc.

I fall on the pro PIM side... because there isn't a way to classify "good" penalties vs "bad" penalaties... and if you reward players for having low PIM, you diminish the value of the physical players compared to the skilled players who avoid situations where they could be called for interpretations on how/when they hit a player, got in a fight, etc. Plus, its a good wildcard when your player went apesh!t and got tossed from the game with a long list of penalties :)

lol that's weak and you know it. A penalty is a penalty and puts your team down for two minutes or until the other team scores on you. A vast majority of times it can break the flow of the game for your team and many times crush your team with an untimely one. I cannot ever remember going to a Devils game and thinking "wow! thank god we got penalized there!"

This is the one part I hate about Yahoo fantasy hockey and I wish they would get rid of it. I am not a huge fan of faceoffs won either but I will let that slide as at least there are advantages for winning timely faceoffs.

Edited by DevsMan84

lol that's weak and you know it. A penalty is a penalty and puts your team down for two minutes or until the other team scores on

I agree for the most part in the game of hockey... but also the fighters and power forwards are going to rack up the PIMs more than a "soft" player... PIMs is the only way you can capture that, fantasy stat wise.

I agree for the most part in the game of hockey... but also the fighters and power forwards are going to rack up the PIMs more than a "soft" player... PIMs is the only way you can capture that, fantasy stat wise.

That's my only real argument in favor of penalties, it gives guys like Lucic and Burrows the intangible value they have in real life. Nobody wins the PIM category based on the two minute minors, you win it playing well rounded forwards and goon defensemen.

That said, the need for PIM's to be a wild card category lessens if we're going to keep counting hits and blocks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's my only real argument in favor of penalties, it gives guys like Lucic and Burrows the intangible value they have in real life. Nobody wins the PIM category based on the two minute minors, you win it playing well rounded forwards and goon defensemen.

That said, the need for PIM's to be a wild card category lessens if we're going to keep counting hits and blocks.

I agree, with most pugalistic players you sacrifice points and also +/-.